Profiles ProfilesRSS FeedFeeds

The wait pays off for Tambe

Forty-two years old, and more than two decades into a journeyman career, Pravin Tambe is living the dream on the big stage

Nagraj Gollapudi

May 28, 2014

"I have no fear at all" © BCCI

For the first five years of the IPL, Pravin Tambe was the liaison manager for teams at the DY Patil Sports Academy ground, where he has worked since 2004. His kids would push him to get them autographs of their favourite players, and his friends would pester him to get them a picture with Sachin Tendulkar.

He kept a notebook handy for the autographs. "But I would feel uncomfortable, because if a player refused I would get hurt," Tambe says. "I am a touchy guy and tear up if people hurt me." As for Tendulkar, Tambe did manage to get his friends pictures, but he said he could not utter a word in the batsman's presence.

Five years on, Tambe is the one signing autographs. He finished on top of the wickets table in last year's Champions League T20. And in the current IPL season he has been Rajasthan Royals' leading wicket-taker, with 15 at a strike rate of 19.6. He and team-mate Shane Watson are the only bowlers to have taken hat-tricks this season.

Tambe's success has gained the attention it has largely because of his age. Most people can't believe a 42-year-old can find a role in a tournament and format designed for twentysomethings. Tambe has earned his place by taking wickets, tightening the screws in the middle overs, and being one of Royals' go-to bowlers.

Like the story of offspinner Nathan Lyon, who went on to play for Australia after working as a groundsman at Adelaide Oval, Tambe's is a tale not written overnight, filled with two decades of hard work and passion.

****

It has been 15 years since Tambe married his wife, Vaishali. When they got engaged, he made it clear to her that cricket was his passion. She supported him, but last year, before he was picked for Royals, she questioned his commitment.

"We were watching TV after I returned from training," Tambe says. "She suddenly burst out, asking how many more years I was going to carry on playing, and why didn't I do something big. She hadn't said anything like that before." After he came home from the 2013 IPL, she said: "So you do accomplish what you say you will."

Tambe started playing club cricket in the 1995-96 season with Parsee Cyclists in the D division in Mumbai's domestic league. He then moved to Parsee Gymkhana in the B division and finally to the top league when he joined Shivaji Park Gymkhana, one of the city's oldest and most illustrious clubs, one that has produced many Mumbai and India stalwarts.

In the course of his time in the game Tambe has bowled against all kinds of batsmen - the illustrious, the industrious, and mavericks. He started out as a medium-pace bowler and lower-order batsman in tennis-ball cricket, where he originally made his name, including in the once-prestigious Matchless tournament.

Once, when playing for Orient Shipping in the Thosar Shield, his captain, Ajay Kadam, sensing the pitch was slow, asked if Tambe would try bowling spin, since he used to put some revs on his slower delivery.

"I was the highest wicket-taker in CLT20 and many did ask me to raise my base price to Rs 30 lakhs ($51,000 approx). But more than money, I wanted to play. My fear was: what if no franchise bought me?"

"The advantage of playing in maidans is you have bowled against batsmen who play pure cricketing strokes and those who like to bat across the line and play scoops and reverse sweeps. So over the years I have tried to create a plan to make sure I can defend myself against all kind of batsmen," Tambe says.

Wasim Jaffer, the former Mumbai captain, has seen Tambe play since he was young. "Whoever has played a good standard in tennis-ball cricket is very street-smart. They are also generally very good fielders. You can see that in Pravin. You don't need to teach him what needs to be done in important and tense situations, because he has encountered such moments many times in Matchless tournaments," Jaffer says.

Between 2000 and 2002, Tambe was part of Mumbai's Ranji probables list. He moved a step closer to playing for the team when he was part of the 15-man squad for the limited-overs Vijay Hazare knockouts last year.

"I have always wanted to play cricket, no matter which level, which team, which stage. I have always believed the team comes first. Last year when they did not play me in the Vijay Hazare, I understood they could only play one spinner, who was doing well at the time."

****

In January 2013, Tambe was the captain and coach of the B team of the DY Patil Sports Academy in their invitation T20 tournament which featured many Indian fringe players. When a last-minute injury forced Indian legspinner Rahul Sharma out of the A team, Tambe was asked to replace him, and he took 12 wickets to help them win the tournament.

Unknown to him, scouts from Royals were watching and keeping tabs. Abey Kuruvilla, the former Mumbai and India fast bowler and the sports director at DY Patil, told Tambe that he would need to travel to Jaipur early the next morning to bowl at Royals' trials.

Rahul Dravid and Paddy Upton, the coaching think tank at Royals, looked at Tambe's bowling closely. "I remember not giving even one four or six on the small training ground outside the Sawai Mansingh Stadium," Tambe says.

After he established himself as the team's primary spinner in the Champions League T20, the expectations increased.

"My role is to break partnerships: I have to come and contain the batsmen even if I am not able to take wickets. I know that when I bowl well, wickets will come. The team has not ever asked me to take wickets and put me under pressure."

The faith that Dravid has shown in him has helped boost Tambe's confidence. "He tells me that I have been playing cricket for such a long time, so I know what I need to do and to keep doing that," Tambe says.

He is one of a handful of players who have played their first high-profile match in T20 league cricket. But to Tambe his inexperience is an advantage.

"I have no fear at all. I have seen many domestic players are nervous when they move to a stage like the IPL and that can affect their performance."

One of the biggest moments of his career was the hat-trick, against Kolkata Knight Riders. "We needed wickets desperately at that stage. And with the hat-trick we retained control of the match.

"I trust myself to bowl a particular line. That confidence was there when I lined up to bowl the hat-trick ball against Knight Riders."

That ball was a flipper - Tambe's go-to ball. Tambe had used it before to dismiss Ryan ten Doeschate in the Champions League last year. And he bowled it again, to the same batsman, to get his hat-trick. "I remembered he puts his leg across, so I knew I had to bowl the flipper full and on his pads."

Tambe dedicated his hat-trick to two of his closest friends, Krishnadas Nair and Ashwad Aiyappa, who died in accidents this year. "They would always coax me to aim big and work towards achieving those dreams. So when I grabbed the hat-trick, I felt I had done something for them."

Tambe has many big names among his scalps, but the one he most enjoyed getting was MS Dhoni, the Chennai Super Kings captain, during a league match in this year's IPL.

"He is one of the best batsmen in cricket, so to get his wicket I got immense joy. I know we lost that match, but when his wicket fell we could have made a comeback. My only plan was to not allow him width to swing his strong arms. I wanted to keep it full and bowl into his pads and I had an 80% chance of getting him out. I pitched on the right length and he was caught at deep square leg."

Pravin Tambe had S Badrinath stumped, Rajasthan Royals v Chennai Super Kings, 1st semi-final, Champions League 2013, Jaipur, October 4, 2013
"If you love the game then continue playing. Don't bother about where you will end up" © BCCI

His best wicket, Tambe says, was that of Dwayne Smith in the Champions League final against Mumbai Indians. "When I finally got him you could see how frustrated he was, as he kicked the stumps in disgust."

Tambe has picked up five Man-of-the-Match awards, including two in this IPL. Incredibly, he was retained for just Rs10 lakhs (US$17,000 approx) by Royals, who used their right-to-match card to keep him in the side. But the price doesn't bother Tambe.

"If I wanted more I could have easily raised the base price. I was the highest wicket-taker in CLT20 and many did ask me to raise my base price to Rs 30 lakhs ($51,000 approx). But more than money, I wanted to play. My fear was: what if no franchise bought me? I was so proud that they used the card to get me. It was an honour."

****

The biggest moment of Tambe's career arrived one afternoon last September. "I got a call from Abey Kuruvilla. He thought I was already aware of the news but I had no idea what he was talking about. When he told me I was part of Mumbai's 15-man Ranji squad, it was one of the happiest moments. I called up my parents and both my mother and father were in tears."

The newspapers played up his age. "That is when I realised I was 41 years old. When you are playing club cricket in Mumbai, you work towards one day wearing the Lions shirt. I wanted to prove that I was worthy to perform at this level to all the people who always point out my age."

When Jaffer presented Tambe his cap before the season opener against Orissa, the spinner could not hold back his tears. "The amount of hard work that we have to put in to gain this cap is immense. When you get the cap you have this feeling that now I have to show the value of this cap. Not everyone can get to wear it."

Jaffer is among the many who have been impressed by Tambe's determination despite his advancing years. "Generally after a certain age fitness begins to give way and the motivation level drops, but Pravin never lost it. It is not that he is only performing now. He was doing it earlier as well, but Mumbai had spinners like Sairaj [Bahutule], Nilesh Kulkarni and Ramesh Powar. But Tambe kept playing club cricket and persevered."

****

Tambe's daily life has remained the same. The only change he made, and that after being pressed by his family, has been buying a car.

He says the source of his confidence is his upbringing and the support he received from his father, Vijay, who was an allrounder at Johnson & Johnson in the Times Shield in the 1980s. His biggest strength and inspiration has been his older brother, Prashant. "He always sends me a message before every game I go to play, saying: "Gheun tak [Take them on]." That gives me a lot of confidence."

Could this be his last IPL? "I don't think so, because I don't feel tired. I just want to play on."

Tambe knows his story is now a motivation for others to not give up on their dreams. Youngsters at the club where he coaches used to sulk when they were not selected for Under-16 and U-19 tournaments. "Now whenever a guy gets dropped he tells me he will get picked next time."

Ian Bishop, the former West Indies fast bowler who now commentates in the IPL, points out that Tambe has been successful because he plays every day like it's his last match. That could be true, because Tambe is past the point of looking at his performances as a ladder to take him to bigger, better things. For him the joy of playing cricket alongside great, good and normal cricketers is his biggest dream achieved.

People often ask him about how he managed his transformation. "I only tell them that if you love the game then continue playing. Don't bother about where you will end up."

Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Nagraj Gollapudi

Posted by   on (June 1, 2014, 9:43 GMT)

a true inspiration i m in tears.................

Posted by Sasusri on (May 29, 2014, 11:31 GMT)

whenever I read an article, I use to thinking of writing some comments, but never written any comments, coz, I didn't register & am lazy tooo. But after reding this article, I registered myself & am writing the comments, coz that's the inspiration I got from this man. The comment follows :

I request the ipl or bcci governing body to consider my request. The request is : Inspite of naming purple cap, can you people's rename it as " TAMBE " Cap.

Atleast this is the thing they can do it. Considering his age the chance won't be give to him for playing in the national side. Atleast by naming TAMBE Cap for the highest wicket taken award in ipl will be a high honour given to him.

Small request to Rajasthan Royal's owenr's is : can you give him a hike in his payscale? He deserves it man.

Posted by cricydidi1981 on (May 29, 2014, 11:16 GMT)

I certainly agree @ Samir. Rohit is the only cricketer who has got infinite chances ..out the blue.. and had not bene able to perform.. just so unlike Virat.

Posted by   on (May 29, 2014, 8:26 GMT)

A fitting reward to this great man would be the India cap for at least one International 20:20 series in the sub continent before he retires.He inspires hope to to millions of talented players to overcome every hurdle and live their dreams at the biggest stages.Kudos to the visionaries who got him to play IPL.

Posted by   on (May 29, 2014, 2:28 GMT)

so motivating.Thanks Nagraj.I hope Tambe is retained by Royals in next Ipl session too.He is so dedicated and hardworking.

Posted by   on (May 29, 2014, 1:36 GMT)

The part that put me in tears was when read that he loved the game and not money. There are very few people like this today. I was schocked when Tambe was not picked for Indian team after his CLT performance. Later I came to know his age and realised that his age and lack of first class performance was the issue.

This article reminded me of a guy who died playing tennis in the age of 90s. He loved tennis so much that he wanted to die playing the game.

Posted by SanjivAwesome on (May 29, 2014, 1:19 GMT)

"...plays every day like it's his last match". Salute, Tambe. The Original India Hero. (Tears)

Posted by iHitWicket on (May 28, 2014, 19:38 GMT)

Of what worth is all the fame, awards and riches if a cricketer can't touch the ground with his heart full of joy and pumped up for the game?

Hats off to Tambe ... while reading this article, I felt the same happiness I feel when I read of Sachin's love for the game. Enough said.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 18:31 GMT)

Doff my hat, Mr. Tambe. Whether an India Cao will come or not, U will be remembered in the annals of cricketing history.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 16:30 GMT)

It is just such things that offer a glimmer of hope that not all is not lost beyond 40. If there is passion, hard work and perseverance then one can attain their goal. In a materialistic and often cunning world, looks like there is room for such people. No need for god fathers, bribes, recommendations, or such short cuts. Thank god for doing this to Tambe. Please help the thousand others who are fighting and hoping even as time is running out. Moral of the story is never to give up. Passion plus commitment will bring in luck though. Not blind hope and passion. Well done Tambe! Play till 50 and shut them all up.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 14:53 GMT)

I have lot of respect for this guy. I wish him the best maybe a 20-20 game for India...best of luck Pravin....keep going

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 13:47 GMT)

I am 31 and I also hope i will play IPL one day. May be bowling with Ajmal or Murali s or Nariene s action

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 12:39 GMT)

Last year on some other article I had commented that Tambe was like Last of the Mohicans that fast depleting breed now almost extinct the quintessential Khadus Mumbai Cricketer, guys who played tough cricket with passion not for money only but always with a will to win. Anyone who has played any form of serious cricket in Mumbai Maidans knows how difficult and challenging the game is. He should be an inspiration to the likes of Rohit Sharma and Ajinkya Rahane who despite having been handed the India cap on a platter have never really firmed their place in the side yet. Much respect and best wishes to Tambe.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 12:33 GMT)

Wow...Inspiring story...Good to see him part of Royals, a team who encourages Indian players every time.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 11:21 GMT)

God bless you, Nagraj! Your words on Pravin Thambe took me back to a time when cricket was played for the love of the game, under cerulean skies and with the sun beating down on a patch of green.

Posted by k.vinoj on (May 28, 2014, 10:20 GMT)

He is truly a champ... I have been lucky to be coached by Tambe Sir 4 years back in the suburbs of Mumbai. He was one guy who we used to look up both in terms of fitness and work ethics. All the praise he is receiving is well deserved.. Good luck to him for his future in whatever he does.....

Posted by vatsap on (May 28, 2014, 10:10 GMT)

What a man... in times like ours ... he pushed his base rate at 10L as he feared he wouldn't play the game he loved. Hats off Pravin Tambe. This is why we love the game.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 9:43 GMT)

Most inspiring story.. I am in tears writing this.. He showed he loves cricket not money!

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 9:32 GMT)

When Situation are tight your basic should be right...As Gilchrist told when DC won IPL the same formula Tambe sir is using every day...

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 9:26 GMT)

awesome character.. hats off to Mr.Tambe.. for his dedication towards d game...

Posted by sudhirpakalapati on (May 28, 2014, 9:21 GMT)

Well.. thats inspirational. Great Article Nagraj G.. well written

Pravin Tambe... respect

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 9:11 GMT)

Inspiring!! Passion ,Dream and Hardwork pays off finally

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 9:05 GMT)

thanks for sharing such a inspiring story, time will pass and so did the IPL mega show but Tambe will always remain an inspiration of hard Work, dedication and Passionate individual

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 8:53 GMT)

inspriational,,,,and thank you...

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 8:45 GMT)

Nice to see his years in the a Liverpool and District Cricket Competition so prominently mentioned.. Or not...

Posted by ramli on (May 28, 2014, 8:23 GMT)

@sammysam ... too uncharitable you are!!! If he succeeds in Ranji next season ... he could well be in Indian squad, why not?

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 8:14 GMT)

Ramesh Powar was of an similar ilk

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 8:08 GMT)

Sir Tambe really deserves a spot in the national squad, But whether our captain cool requires him or not, we should wait and watch.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 7:28 GMT)

He is the best player RR have and a pity did not play the earlier match with MI, I am sure they would have been in the playoffs had he played that game. Now the best way to acknowledge his immense contribution would be for the owners of RR to increase his pay packet to something substancial as Watson had mentioned after the hat trick that Tambe deserves a RAISE !!! Please, honour him atleast in this way, thank you

Posted by sammysam on (May 28, 2014, 7:26 GMT)

I would pick this guy over ashwin or jadeja anyday.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 7:23 GMT)

Nice article. He is hero for who could not make into bigger stage lack of opportunity. He has earned lots of respect all over world. India can afford to play him T20s for a year or so providing rest to big names. Let him enjoy Criket. Best wishes !!!

Posted by Cricnomics on (May 28, 2014, 7:21 GMT)

What an inspiring story. Almost had tears!

Posted by SLisBestinEarth on (May 28, 2014, 7:04 GMT)

Sanath also played till43 with full spirited..

Posted by kasyapm on (May 28, 2014, 7:04 GMT)

Inspiring! playing at that level and that too T20..amazing, thanks for the article.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 7:01 GMT)

A great article dedicated to to the most dedicated player. He deserves every bit of the success he has achieved and much more.... This article brought tears in my eyes.... Wish u all the best... Keep rocking.....

Posted by GameFollower on (May 28, 2014, 6:49 GMT)

Good Article!! I like the way this man plays the game @ this age. Hats off!!

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 6:42 GMT)

Inspirations for all people..Passion ,Dream and Hardwork pays off finally.Respect to Pravin Sir..

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 6:39 GMT)

t20 tambe go togather i still think that he should be in the national side for this version initially then also given a chance for other versions .look even the aussies called hogg and hodge why we stay back just get him in give him a chance over look his age and his dedication wil prove

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 6:09 GMT)

Tambe is a symbol on Hard work , commitment , Love towards one'e Dream .. He is also a family man .. which ideally makes him a role model ..

Posted by muzika_tchaikovskogo on (May 28, 2014, 5:41 GMT)

Pravin Tambe will always an inspirational figure- a man who's shown that its never too late to realise one's dream.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 5:36 GMT)

"But more than money, I wanted to play. My fear was: what if no franchise bought me? I was so proud that they used the card to get me. It was an honour." - modest, frank and grateful - all in these few words. I hope he goes to make it huge in whatever time he has left. I wish him all the luck there is.

Posted by Gully_11 on (May 28, 2014, 4:26 GMT)

I love this player....The commitment shown by him at this age is remarkable....Good bless...He deserves a place in T20 Int'l squad...as rightly said he is street smart cricketer and has witnessed & bowled well to some of the fiery batsmen of world cricket...God Bless

Posted by moonsbear on (May 28, 2014, 4:21 GMT)

A very well written article., for a deserving cricketer., sadly, not many people have commended here., since not many might have read this article!! Although I am not a cricketer., I can FEEL what Tambe might have gone through., coz I have faced similar situation in other walks of life! Taking wickets in T20 is in itself not easy,. and taking a HAT-TRICK is similar to hitting 6 Sixes in a six ball over!! Well done and keep going Tambe......

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 4:10 GMT)

Tambe.. Great player.. Great attitude.. awesome.. no words to explain his passion towards cricket.. hats off.. whoever reads this article will get some boost up in their life... life is game.. play it until you alive...

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 4:08 GMT)

I was in Tears until i finished this articles. I Salute the dedication showed by this man. There is always hope for Hard Work and This man is a sheer example. I watched him bowling since last year and i am glued to television whenever he is bowling. I was very disappointed when he got hit for Runs in the Qualifying League match versus Mumbai Indians. He did bowl Tight, but that match was kind of Blitzkrieg. You Prove Sir, Age is Just a Number !!

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 4:03 GMT)

I am a bangladeshi boy. highly enchanted with tambe. a lot of respect to him. I think he deserves the award of spirit of cricket. I am also a legspinner some times do bowling at banglasdesh national teams net. have done my graduation and post gradution from dhaka university.aged 25. some ex bd national team players toldi to me i am expired. But i have an inspiration named Praveen Tambe. Thats why I am not giving up.like tambe I am starting a job at online sports news paper www.bspn24.com. but my dream is to play cricket. If Tambe didnt come in focus i may give up and retitre from cricket. Good luck tambe. I am looking for his autograph. Because he is the mos favorite plyer to me.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 3:38 GMT)

Very nice article and it's not easy to play cricket and almost on International level with this age. But only a man can do it whose passion is just cricket not money. I was surprised once to see his age but he is fit and can play still. I think BCCI should give him chance to play in National side for even T20 squad. He can perform well and his dream will come true. cos playing for country remains a dream of every cricketer.

Posted by   on (May 28, 2014, 2:49 GMT)

Awesome article by Nagraj Gollapudi, Tambe rightly deserved this article. Really surprise to see no comments on this article. I really appreciate the work done by the editor

FeedbackTop
Nagraj GollapudiClose

'When I became an umpire, I didn't realise how complicated this game was'

Peter Willey on suiting up against '80s West Indies, and umpiring in England

'Saqlain was like an English spinner with a subcontinental touch'

My XI: Erapalli Prasanna on a spinner whom even Sachin Tendulkar found hard to bat against

Anjum on the spot

How well does one of Indian women's cricket's leading lights know her career?

Last ball, last wicket, and Northants' parched spell

Ask Steven: Also, Vijay Manjrekar's nickname, Abid Ali's no-ball, oldest double-centurions, and this decade's leading players

The thing about Australia's superiority to Pakistan

Ahmer Naqvi: Despite their record, the fact that they haven't played in Pakistan for 16 years weighs against them

How India weeds out its suspect actions

The BCCI set up a three-man committee to tackle the problem of chucking at age-group and domestic cricket, and it has produced significant results in five years

A rock, a hard place and the WICB

The board's latest standoff with its players has had embarrassing consequences internationally, so any resolution now needs to be approached thoughtfully

Kohli back to old habits

Stats highlights from the fourth ODI between India and West Indies in Dharamsala

Twin Asian challenges await Australia

What Australia have not done since returning a fractured unit from India is head back to Asia to play an Asian team. Two of their major weaknesses - handling spin and reverse swing - will be tested in the UAE by Pakistan

West Indies go AWOL

West Indies may have formally played the fourth ODI in Dharamsala but their fielding suggested their minds were already on the flight back home