England in New Zealand 2012-13

Morgan and Patel set for axe

Andrew McGlashan

January 23, 2013

Samit Patel plays a square drive, Haryana v England XI, tour match, Ahmedabad, 2nd day, November 9, 2012
Samit Patel will probably be surplus to requirements in New Zealand © Getty Images

England will not take their Test series in New Zealand lightly with a full-strength squad expected to be named on Thursday for the three matches in March although not all the players who were on duty in India will earn another trip.

The selectors covered many bases with their squad for the India series, which ended up consisting of 19 players after the addition of Kevin Pietersen, Stuart Meaker for a period and later James Tredwell to the party. The squad for New Zealand is set to be a more streamlined 15 names so there will be fewer reserves kicking their heels on the sidelines.

From the original players included for the India tour, Eoin Morgan and Samit Patel are the likely ones to be disappointed this time. Joe Root's impressive Test debut, and continued emergence as an international cricketer, will earn him a run at No. 6 while Nick Compton, although he did not make the major score to make his place impregnable, did enough to warrant at least the three matches in New Zealand.

Jonny Bairstow is expected to be available again following his compassionate leave which means he will return for the T20s and ODIs then provide the batting and wicketkeeping back-up in the Test squad. Bairstow's stock has fallen a little since he replaced Pietersen against South Africa at Lord's, where he made 94 and 54, now finding himself behind Root.

Morgan and Patel will remain fringe Test players. Morgan has stated his desire to return to the longer format, but also said he would assess his IPL commitments when his short-term future in the side was clearer. Omission from this Test squad puts him well down the pecking order again and he may well decide on another lengthy spell in India.

Patel was always likely to be a horses-for-courses selection. England began the India tour wanting someone to provide a fifth-bowling option to balance the side, but it soon became clear his left-arm spin was not Test standard and he sent down fewer overs as the series progressed. Neither did he fully take his chance with the bat, albeit he was on the end of a couple of rough decisions, and further scores of 26 and 33 were not sufficient.

The bowling attack is set to consist of familiar names although the third-seamer's slot in the final XI remains up for grabs. Tim Bresnan will be able to count himself fortunate to travel after a barren second half to 2012. Since the start of the South Africa series he has two Test wickets at 210 apiece. There is a strong case to have a look at one of the younger pace bowlers - Meaker, Chris Woakes or James Harris - but that does not appear to be the approach.

Bresnan, Stuart Broad and Graham Onions will again be competing to support James Anderson and Steven Finn. Broad has ground to make up after a troubled tour of India and his performances in the preceding one-day games could well have a bearing. Onions is the type of bowler who could flourish in New Zealand but will have only one warm-up game to press his case.

Monty Panesar, who sparked England's revival in India, will have to be content with a back-up role again behind Graeme Swann.

Probable England squad Alastair Cook (capt), Nick Compton, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow, Matt Prior, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Steven Finn, Graham Onions, Monty Panesar

Andrew McGlashan is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Andrew McGlashan

Posted by Shan156 on (January 24, 2013, 17:17 GMT)

@Harmony111, Onions impressed in the few chances he got. Unfortunately, he got injured during/after the Saffa tour and fell behind in the pecking order. Tremlett is injury prone too. Re: frequent injuries, I wonder the same. Remember Simon Jones? He was a highly skilled bowler but unfortunately was prone to injuries. Who would have thought after the first innings of the TB test in the famous 2005 Ashes series when he took 5 wickets that we will never get to see him play for England again?

@SherjilIslam, pray tell me where I presented any excuses, dumb or otherwise, about England's ODI series defeat to India. I replied yesterday to you asking the same. cricinfo, for whatever reason, decided not to publish it. cricinfo, please publish this time.

Posted by rohit1189 on (January 24, 2013, 12:31 GMT)

Bresnan,Morgan & Patel should given rest for next tour. Question mark on ECB selectors why are they continue putting Dernbach into the squad.what quality are they looking in DERNBACH? England losing because they are continue playing with 10 men. their 11th person is neither a bowler nor a player. Dernbach becomes most expensive bowler in one-dayers. Meaker,Woakes & Briggs are waiting thier chances. i hope we'll see them in 5 odi.

Posted by o-bomb on (January 24, 2013, 10:52 GMT)

@Harmony111 - You're right that Onions is 30 now, although the truth is he's been unlucky with injuries, which is why he's not played many matches. He has in fact taken his chances when they've come along (a test average of under 30 will show that). Personally I wouldn't see him as a saviour, but he is certainly a useful option, especially in swinging conditions. You asked about Tremlett too. I believe he has also struggled with injuries for the last year and a half.

Posted by Harmony111 on (January 24, 2013, 10:16 GMT)

@Shan156: I see that Onions is 30+, so either he got little chance to prove his worth or he failed to impress in the matches he got to play. If I was an Eng fan I won't see a saviour in him.

I guess TB too is coming back from an injury, a shoulder one I guess. If it was his bowling arm then a loss of power is natural. SB's injury is in his heel and good rehab shud fix it I guess. He bowled some grt balls to RD & SRT in 2011.

And what about Tremlett? He's been MIA for long now.

Both Aus & Eng have/had very promising bowlers but so many of them get injured in 2-3 matches. Either these bowlers are made of dough & chickenwire or they are reckless in their diet/exercises or that we are devolving. For years & years India had just 1 fast bowler - Srinath. That man was used exhaustively by all captain esp on away tours. What was he made of? Sachin used him and VP all the time in SA tour in 97 - he got a serious shoulder injury but came back and played for 6 more years - as a better bowler.

Posted by brusselslion on (January 24, 2013, 10:00 GMT)

This might be the ideal Test series to experiment. (The ODI squad seems to be one never ending experiment). Off the pitch nice, easy place to tour. On the pitch, conditions not dissimilar to England and against a side who, with the greatest respect, aren't amongst the world's best currently. Why not have a look at a few from Woakes, Meaker, Roland-Jones, Topley? Of the batters, Bairstow and Root need to play and we should get Taylor back in the squad. Also we need to decide upon a reverse WK. Is Bairstow good enough?

Plently of time to give the senior players match practice in the home series vs. NZ.

Posted by SherjilIslam on (January 24, 2013, 6:25 GMT)

@Sachin_vvs fan:You are absolutely true.India couldn't unearth a single exiting talent despite having license to go with any young player. Shami and Bhuvi are good, but they are yet to be tested.One serious problem with our team now has a quality spinner who can spin the ball not like Ashwin who after bowling three good balls, easily gets tempted to go for the variations for the next deliveries and in the process throw away easy runs.And for Rohit Sharma, if you give 1000 chances to any tom, dick, harry, there is always a chance he can come good in one of the them.Nothing personal against him, but Pujara and Rahane should have been given a better run. And as far as England are concern, I only see Joe Root emerging as a real talent for any format of the game. Tredwell is also a good limited overs bowler Samit Patel is exactly an Indian version of Jadeja, who you can never rely on outside territory. Dernbach is a half tracker-bully.I wonder, how he gets selected again and again.

Posted by SherjilIslam on (January 24, 2013, 6:05 GMT)

@Shan156: I love to see England performance in Champions Trophy.At-least you people cannot present dumb excuses after another ordinary performance.

Posted by SherjilIslam on (January 24, 2013, 5:59 GMT)

Finally i guess better sense prevailed with English selectors.I guess NZ could give a good fight to England if they play with full strength(Including Ryder,Southee,Taylor,Vettory) Hoping to see some good cricket in NZ.

Posted by nickinsingapore on (January 24, 2013, 3:35 GMT)

Stuart Broad when his mind is right is a match winner. Though his attitude has not been right for a while now and has been unwilling to do the hard yards, instead goes for the glory ball and ends up spraying it everywhere. Unfortunately a bit of a big head who thinks he is better than he is. Has talent with the bat but fails to put the graft in to improve, technical problems about playing around his front leg persist, in fact his batting has receded over the last year or so. Pity as he has the talent. I hope he gets everything right mentally and physically as when he is firing he is just brilliant to watch.

Posted by jevans90 on (January 24, 2013, 1:24 GMT)

No idea why so many people are mentioning Dernbach - he's nowhere near the test side, and rightly so. On Root v. Compton opening, I can see the arguments for both. Whoever plays has to be the one the selectors want for both Ashes series, and should play every available test in that period, unless their form tails off - I'd go for Compton, with Root at 6 or as a reserve. On seam attack, agree Woakes should tour ahead of Bresnan - @SirViv1973, I see where you're coming from, but disagree with you on Woakes as a bits & pieces player, he's a genuine FC (but not ODI) all-rounder, and I rate him a better bowler than Meaker and, on current form, Bresnan and Broad. If England wanted to play Monty and Swann together in an Ashes Test, I could see Woakes at 7 + first change behind JA and SF. Onions should play if 4 man attack though. Cook*, Compton, Trott, KP, Bell, Root, Prior+, Swann, Anderson, Finn, Onions; Bairstow(wk), Woakes, Broad, Panesar. On standby: Taylor, Davies(wk), Meaker, Tredwell

Posted by ashlatchem on (January 24, 2013, 1:12 GMT)

@Tigg - I rate Broad better because of what I have seen him do. the 4th Ashes test in 09? when the game was just cruising along Broad comes out of nowhere and takes 5 and Eng win, then in the UAE early 2012 he was bowling exceptionally well in conditions not suited for seamers. All I have seen from Finn is "Promise" when I saw him in Oz for the last Ashes he bowled horribly 1 day and then took out the last 4 wkts to get 5 and that didn't impress me. Then he goes and kills it in ODI's and I expect more from him, he doesn't deliver and repeat. @SirViv1973 - Woakes makes my squad based on his sweet batting in the second half of last year's CC and the fact he can nip it both ways (I actually rate him as a bowler). And it is NZ so if the conditions suit they could play 4 seamers... then My XI is Cook, Compton, Trott, KP, Bell, Root, Prior, Woakes, Onions, Anderson, Finn. Didn't know Root could bowl handy off spin which gives another option. If they go 4 though it will be Bres & Broad :(

Posted by mikey76 on (January 23, 2013, 22:01 GMT)

Why oh why would they take Bresnan? He needs to go back to Yorkshire and get some bowling in his legs and get his nip back. NZ is the ideal time to have a look at Meaker over the longer format. Bresnan is just dead weight at the moment.

Posted by sirvivfan on (January 23, 2013, 21:55 GMT)

Root has played very well, and deserves his chance. However I would not get too carried away, he could have been and should have been dismissed for 0! Couple of failures and then pressure mounts. It seems to be that Patel is a target for being dropped....ok he was at his best...but did contribute in one of the games which more than one or two. Problem is England do not how to use him, moving up and down the order, sometimes they bowl him other times they don't. Really surprised they are using Root as a bowler....ok did not get hit around but he is not an international bowler....! Dernbach and keiswetter both over rated. But they have their supporters unlike Patel. Now can somebody tell me why Monty is not considered for one dayers? He has bowled well in India and should have played in ODI.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (January 23, 2013, 21:51 GMT)

I think Patel deserves a few more opportunities. He's a utility cricketer and there's nothing wrong in that. Morgan on the other hand is out of form and out of ideas. His shot selection in this series against India is next to rubbish. He needs to go back to domestic cricket and ply his trade there or even go back to Ireland and play for them. Joe Root looks the real deal to me. A young man with a very mature head. If it wasn't for Root's 50, England wouldn't have even scored 220 in Mohali. Anyway, the ODI series against NZ will be a close affair. Can't say the same about the test series though; England should nail that no problem.

Posted by Harmony111 on (January 23, 2013, 21:44 GMT)

@Valavan: Yep it is easy to see they are a lot better than Dinda and Ishant when one looks at their records, right?

And how nice of you to tell us that NZ will produce green wickets, you really gave us some insider information there. Thanks.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (January 23, 2013, 21:29 GMT)

No mention of Tremlett in the article are we to assume he is still not deemed fit enough to be considered or have eng decided his body is no longer up to rigors of test match bowling?

Posted by Shan156 on (January 23, 2013, 21:18 GMT)

@Nutcutlet, Sorry, I meant inexperienced at international level. Of course, Compton is not young:-) I am just worried that if we lose an early wicket, esply Chef, then there will be a lot of pressure on young Root at #3. He has looked the part so far though. Trott has been solid at #3 and it would be nice to ease Root into the team by not subjecting him into too much pressure. But, I see your point. NC cannot command a place in the team if he is not opening. And against NZ, perhaps, it may not be a bad idea to try that, no offense meant to the Kiwis. But, I doubt the Eng. mgmt. will move Trott to #5.

@SirViv1973, Ronchi moving back to NZ? I wasn't aware of that. The OZ fans spoke highly of him some time back (although they do it to all their players:-)). With Vettori (although I fear his batting more than his bowling:-)) back and Southee, that does look a much stronger Kiwi side than the one played the Saffers.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (January 23, 2013, 21:14 GMT)

I'm a bit baffled by a few comments that they think Root Should open. Surely Compton did enough in Ind to get the opportunity to try & nail down his place in these 3 tests. I would much rather Root stayed at 6 for the time being. Since Collingwood retired 3 yrs ago we haven't had anyone get runs with any consistency in that position. Morgan was given a run and despite making a 100 against Pak early only ave 30 in 16 tests. Since then Prior moved up in SRL but he quickly went back to 7 to better balance the team, also we saw Bairstow struggle against the WI and then we saw Taylor play 1 game & be quickly discarded. Then in Ind Samit came and it would appear has gone for good. Root finally looks like he fits the bill so I don't see the point of change for change sake. I do think we will eventually see him at the top of the order but not yet.

Posted by Shan156 on (January 23, 2013, 21:09 GMT)

@Harmony111, Onions played against Windies in 2009, one or two Ashes test that summer and also the SA tour that winter. Since then, he only played in last summer's test against the Windies. He is an accurate, wicket to wicket bowler and, if conditions offer some help, can be a handful.

Meaker, as NutCutlet noted, goes for runs but is a genuine wicket taker. He is more suited to tests than the shorter formats.

Agree about Broad and Bresnan though. I hope Eng. don't just let him walk back into the XI. He has to prove his form and fitness first.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (January 23, 2013, 20:58 GMT)

@Samuel H, I don't see Broad & Bresnan both playing in the same side at the moment. Although I expect TB to make the squad I don't think he is playing well enough to be involved & I would rather he went back to Yorks & played some CC games. I think the same about SB but I think he will be in contention to play, although I agree that in his current form he has no right to walk back in to the side. I haven't always been convinced about onions but this series has to be used as a chance to see what hes got. If we assume Finn & Anderson will start the ashes & SB & TB are still out of nick & can't be trusted to perform then you would imagine GO must be next inline so it makes sense to give him this series. I'm not sure Meaker is ready although given the options I think he should make the squad if we could secure the series before the 3rd test it would be a good chance to have a look at him then. In terms of Harris & Woakes im not sure either are penetrative enough bowlers to be considered.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (January 23, 2013, 20:42 GMT)

@Shan156, I agree that this is a potential banana skin 4 us. The likely team that NZL will field will have little resemblance to the one which was trounced by the saffers. Watling was their best batsman in the series & the word is he may ditch the gloves & open as they are likely to use Luke Ronchi as their keeper, as he has now decided to return to the country of his birth having given up trying to get in to the oz side. As well as Taylor & Ryder coming back in the batting stakes they will also have their their 2 best bowlers Vettori & Southee available so this will not be an easy series for us.

Posted by Valavan on (January 23, 2013, 20:37 GMT)

@Harmony111, laugh at your ignorance. NZ will produce green wickets and Onions,meaker are anyday better than Dinda and Ishanth ona green wicket. cricinfo please publish.

Posted by Shan156 on (January 23, 2013, 20:22 GMT)

@sachin_vvsfan, good observation re: England, Joe Root, and Patel. But, I don't think you are giving enough credit to Jadeja. This boy is really good and I think he will do well overseas as well. He varies his pace very well and is a 'thinking' bowler. His batting is quite good - you cannot be poor and score 2 300+ in FC cricket. He is way, way better than Patel. I am not sure if he will be as successful in Aus. or Eng. as he was in India but I think he surely lends much needed balance for this Indian side.

Rohit Sharma was going through a lean patch but I think England's friendly bowlers helped him find his form back:-) But, he is a genuine talent too.

Posted by Nutcutlet on (January 23, 2013, 20:05 GMT)

@Shan156: I don't really see Compton as a young player. I said before the Tests v India that this was his chance -- step up or forget abt playing for Eng. He's not an investment; he's the deal (or not!). NC's done enough to justify being in NZ, but now he has to make major contributions, esp v a weaker Test nation. He can't just be dropped because Root is ready for a permanent place. There is no place for NC unless he opens. I like the idea of a reserve opener at #3 (JH Edrich did this to some effect behind Boycott & Luckhurst in the '70s) & Root, with sound temperament & technique, is surely an opener long term, as he is for Yorks. I think Trott wd do fine at 5 & with IB @ 6 there is some real mid-order experience & potential for big scoring, or shoring things up if they've gone pear-shaped. Agree that Onions shd get a chance. Perhaps its a head2head with SM? So be it. I am very concerned that SB doesn't come back before he's ready & Bres just isn't firing as he did.Time called on TB.

Posted by Harmony111 on (January 23, 2013, 20:03 GMT)

If I were an Eng fan (lol) then I would be more worried about Broad's injury and his drop in pace and also about Bresnan who now really really looks a very ordinary bowler. I don't know how he would bowl in a Test match but the one I saw in Eng was about 35% better than the one who is playing in India. Eng's bowling used to be a lot better than this and JA, SB, SF, TB + Swann made a strong attack but as of now, SB & TB are injured/reduced and it sometimes takes a single brick to fall off to get the whole wall crumble. This is why India also suffer a lot cos their weaker bowlers are unable to keep it tight or take wickets.

Undoubtedly Eng will play just 1 spinner in NZ - so they need good bowlers vs NZ. Barring JA, SF who? I hear a lot about Onions, Meaker etc but have perhaps never seen Onions before and Meaker looked to be a faster/taller version of Dinda to me in the T20s.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (January 23, 2013, 20:00 GMT)

A few comments re the ODI wicket spot on here. IMO Eng are right to drop CW and I also think they are right to go down the route of trying to develop either Butler or Bairstow for the role & in doing so are also right not to bring back Prior. MP is priceless in tests and we have no natural replacement for him. so why increase his work load and risk injury by putting him back in to the ODI side. he has played 68 ODIs with an ave under 25 & SR of well under 80. I don't see anyone complaining about CW being dropped his stats are far better with an ave of over 30 & a strike rate of almost 90 in almost 50 games! I rest my case.

Posted by Shan156 on (January 23, 2013, 19:53 GMT)

There was a thought among some fans that Monty could be part of a 5 member bowling attack for the Ashes. However, considering that the Aussie batting is not their strong suit now while their pace dept is overflowing with a lot of talent, I would be hesitant to change our current team of 6 batsmen + Prior + 4 bowlers. So, unfortunately, poor Monty would need to wait for his chances. But, what a great backup to have for Graeme Swann! We could still give Monty some chance in the NZ series away and/or home.

Speaking of the NZ series, it is a potential banana skin for us. It looks like both Ross Taylor and Jesse Ryder could be back. So, I am glad that the ECB (almost) have decided to take it seriously and send our strongest squad. If we win, no big gain in the ICC table; draw, we lose some points; lose, and it could be disastrous. We cannot afford to lose momentum before back-to-back Ashes series. So, let's go get 'em boys.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (January 23, 2013, 19:46 GMT)

@ashlatchem & Mattzo12, I'm not sure how Woakes gets in to your test XI's, he has no chance of making the trip let alone playing a test. I thinkthere was a case for him playing more in the current ODI series v Ind but hes not ready for an ashes series and Eng shouldn't be looking at anyone in this series unless they are under serious consideration for that. At this stage of his career he still very much a bits & pieces player. His bowling isn't penetrative enough to be the 3rd seamer and he dosen't make one of the best 6 batsman in the country. I'm not sure his bowling will ever be test match standard perhaps he has more of a future as a batsman who bowls a bit but certainly not at this stage of his career.

Posted by wgtnpom on (January 23, 2013, 19:25 GMT)

Bresnan's lucky to be still in the side the way he's been bowling recently but the friendlier wickets and (let's face it) more moderate opposition in NZ may be his chance of salvation. I like the look of Compton and Root and hopefully they will have good tours and cement their places long term. Bairstow seems to have become the next in line in the middle order ahead of Morgan and Patel so he's a good choice as well. Monty probably won't get too many chances if Swann stays fit but is a great #2 spinner. Like others, I think a break will be good for Broad - I'd replace him even in the T20 side and bring in another captain - but he still has a big role to play for England in the future. All in all a good balanced team - hopefully they all get selected. These guys are likely to form the nucleus of the Ashes team. As I live in Wellington (but support England) hopefully I'll get to see some of the action. There's a lot of local trepidation after the let's say mixed performances by NZ in SA

Posted by Tlotoxl on (January 23, 2013, 19:14 GMT)

@Torsha: nobody cares about pointless, irrelevant ODI series, this was barely more than practice matches to try out some fringe players for the champions trophy in the short term and the World cup in the longer term. Almost all the people I know are like me, can't remember or care about the results or even who England played in ODI series 3 months ago but can remember the past 10 years of test series. The NZ test series is 100% more important than any stand alone ODI series.

Posted by oze13 on (January 23, 2013, 19:09 GMT)

The weak links in England's team are all too evident. Bresnan, down on pace and now can't even bowl straight. His batting has also gone the way of his bowling lacking in purpose. Needs to fire in in County cricket to show he deserves another chance. Patel's batting is far too inconsistent, prone to soft dismissals. His bowling is non existent and fielding is slow and sloppy. Needs to knuckles down in County cricket and improve fitness to get another opportunity. Morgan's batting is all over the shop. Would have to score half a dozen hundreds in county cricket to be considered again. Dernbach, can't bowl two balls in the same place. Another one, who's games all over the place. Bell, epitomises the term 'soft dismissal' Needs to be more mentally tough and desperate to score runs. However, Joe Root has been a revelation. This boy has a bright future! So it's not all doom and gloom.

Posted by TripleCenturian on (January 23, 2013, 19:04 GMT)

Bresnan not the bowler he was? Based on bowling in India? In which case Broad falls into the same category very easily. I agree Patels test career is now over. Impotent with the ball and lacking sufficient technique at the highest level against better bowlers. Morgan has not really had a chance in the Tests in Jndia so not sure he can be dismissed as instantly but I would have thought he had a better chance of selection in India than NZ or the Ashes series Compton may open in the first test in NZ but Root's star has risen and shone brightly this winter and he could be the long term opening partner to replace Strauss. This gives some back up bowling and means the number six slot can go back to being an out and out batsman like Bairstow or Morgan If Bairstow does not show some form when back from his absence for family reasons. Root may be opening by the Ashes and if that's the plan then he needs a go in the NZ series if Compton fails to step up. Jury very much still out on him

Posted by Shan156 on (January 23, 2013, 19:00 GMT)

Gurram/amanroy, yes Patel did better than Kieswetter and Morgan but you don't see them in the squad, do you? This is our *test* squad and there is no place for all 3 of them.

Posted by Shan156 on (January 23, 2013, 18:59 GMT)

@Nutcutlet, would you really want to move Trott to #5? He has done a good job there and I think it would be risky to have two young players coming in one after the other. Root has been impressive and I liked Compton in the test series. I was watching the game yesterday and Gavaskar was talking very highly of Joe Root. Coming from someone like Gavaskar, Root cannot be anything but good. But, he is still young and needs to be carefully managed. I would continue to play him at 6 or move him as opener but then Compton would have to bat at 6. Re: bowling, may not be a bad idea to try Meaker but I think Onions deserves another chance. He has done nothing wrong and I think would be a handful in NZ.

Posted by 200ondebut on (January 23, 2013, 18:48 GMT)

I would open with Root. Compton has shown himself and competent - but not the world class opener England need if they have designs on being the worlds best team.

Posted by Shan156 on (January 23, 2013, 18:45 GMT)

@torsha, "so called"? They are our best players and they were rested. No, NZ is not a bigger challenge than India but perhaps the ECB felt that a bilateral test series is probably more important than a ODI series. With a busy calendar ahead - we are playing 2 Ashes series and the Champions trophy - it is important to keep our best players fit and fresh for the challenges that we consider are more important. This doesn't mean that the ODI series in India is not important but it is relative. The ODI series in India gave some valuable experience to some of our players - Root, for example.

Posted by SDHM on (January 23, 2013, 18:07 GMT)

Have no idea why my earlier comment hasn't been approved. Basically, if Bresnan gets selected, the selection system is broken; it's clear for all to see he is not the bowler he was, and forcing him to bowl at international batsmen isn't going to help matters. Leave him at home, let him spend time at Yorkshire and see if he can work himself back. The way England are treating him you'd think there isn't anyone to cover for him, when there's plenty of options available. Woakes or Harris could be good picks if England are concerned about losing what he supposedly brings to the side with the bat (not that we've seen anything in that respect for a long time either) as they both bat well; Woakes in particular has the potential to be a genuine all-rounder. Broad will probably walk back in (wrongly in my eyes, but there you go); England can't afford two out of form, down on pace supposed bowling all rounders.

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (January 23, 2013, 17:45 GMT)

Before the start of ODI series i wrote that i wouldn't mind 5-0 loss if we could unearth one good batsman as good as kholi and one decent fast bowler. But what we got after this series was Rohit sharma (who will play for the next 2 series and finally won't get selected for WC). Same with jadeja. His spin wont be required in Australia. Only positive for us is we have seen glimpse of kumar and shamid but they are yet to establish. Hope ishant is rested for final odi

But Eng ay have lost but they got Root (mostly a permanent) and they also found out patel is nothing but an indian version of jadeja(usefull with ball at home but just a bits and pieces player and liability overseas)

Posted by Nutcutlet on (January 23, 2013, 17:36 GMT)

This article is about England's TEST squad for NZ! Comments & moaning natter about Dernbach has no place here. He's never been part of Eng's thinking when it comes to Tests & he never will be. The focus therefore has to be on who to introduce to the Test arena, & in place of whom. I don't want to see any player stepping into the Test side unless he's fully fit. I therefore put Broad & Bresnan in parentheses with ?marks against their names.Ignore'em Neither has shown any form in recent months to suggest that they are 100%. Meaker seems to have been saved from the ODIs & this accords with my thinking. He is, as a wicket-taking fast bowler, likely to be far more suited to the Test arena that any other & must now step up; ditto Onions. Thus, in pref batting order, I'd like to see: Cook, Compton, Root, KP, Trott, Bell, Prior, Swann, Meaker, Anderson, Finn.NB: Root @ 3 as 2nd line opener. An opening bat at #3 is always sound thinking. Reserves: inc. Woakes, Onions, Bairstow, Monty, Taylor.

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (January 23, 2013, 17:23 GMT)

Looks like a good squad. Morgan is having a hard time getting into the team, but for a man of his ability to be left out just goes to show the talent England is bursting with, with players like the impressive Root. Patel was always set for the axe, and why he was included in the first place when England have Jos Buttler waiting in the wings is another mystery, only serving to highlight the mistakes the England management made with selection during the entire India tour.

Posted by   on (January 23, 2013, 17:20 GMT)

It's Eng long problem that they are not playing with full squad in ODIs and ending up in losing side, don't know why broad was rested in india odi's since he wasn't bowl well in test serious against india and the same for Trott, he was played well only one innings in test serious and rested. They should have come up with full strength against india. hope they realized their mistake and taking NZ with full squad.

Posted by Gurram on (January 23, 2013, 16:55 GMT)

Morgan/patel are going to be key in small grounds in NZ. Eng is making a mistake.

Posted by torsha on (January 23, 2013, 16:52 GMT)

@Shan156 And that's exactly is my point. If they can win test matches in India, why can't the so called "top players" weren't in ODIs? Andesrson? Swann? Broad? Or are you considering NZ is bigger challenge than India?

Posted by Shan156 on (January 23, 2013, 16:39 GMT)

@kc69, surely you would agree that conditions in NZ are very different to the ones you find in India. Patel was only supposed to be a sub-continent 'specialist' although in reality he is a bits and pieces cricketer who should have never played for our test team. Bresnan has been poor since his surgery in Dec. 2011. He impressed in our last Ashes tour and hopefully he will get his nip back in NZ. I personally think that he should have a stint with his county and hone his skills before he plays for England. But, I don't think he will be in the XI in NZ unless one of Jimmy/Finn/Onions/Broad are not available.

Posted by Shan156 on (January 23, 2013, 16:34 GMT)

@torsha, Need I remind you this is our test squad and all our top players were available for the test series in India too. And, we did win 2 tests in India. Interesting, ain't it? We may yet rest some key players for the ODI leg of the NZ tour.

Bresnan needs to have a stint in the county to get his nip back. Jimmy and Finn are definite starters. I would play Onions ahead of Broad in NZ. Broad, like Bresnan, needs to go back to his county and work hard at his game. He has been a shadow of the bowler we saw in 2011. We saw a few glimpses of that bowler in 2012 but overall he has been low on pace and confidence. Sad, but Monty has to warm the benches. We could probably give him a game if we manage to win the first two tests.

Posted by amanroy on (January 23, 2013, 16:23 GMT)

Samit is good than most players in the team. He single-handedly won the match in Rajkot and played well in tour matches as well. By seeing performances from Bell, Kieswetter, Morgan, he should have given chance. His bowling though could be his weakness.

Posted by   on (January 23, 2013, 16:07 GMT)

With the superb young batsman Joe Root's good off-spin bowling, the 'bits-and- pieces player' Patel's International days seem to be, quite rightly, over.

Posted by   on (January 23, 2013, 15:54 GMT)

@Mattzo12 I totally agree with your team, apart from I would have Compton instead of Root. Compton did nothing wrong and Root has only played in one match in conditions that weren't typical. But definitely in the squad! And Woakes should definitely be playing!

Posted by kc69 on (January 23, 2013, 15:53 GMT)

I wonder how good was Tim Bresnan in India compared to Samit Patel.I didn't see a single worthy performance from him either.Yet he finds himself as a key part of English squad. Eoin Morgan should have stayed with Ireland.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (January 23, 2013, 15:51 GMT)

With bowlers like Toby Roland-Jones, Chris Woakes and Reece Topley available, one hopes that the Dernbach experiment will end. Similarly, there are a host of spinners such as Briggs and Kerrigan who need a chance. After two disatrous ODI tours of India and a not very good tour of the UAE behind him, surely there is no more that we want to learn about Jade Dernbach: he may look like a world-beater on a juicy pitch, but you don't get many of those in Asia. Similarly, England have to cut their losses with Tim Bresnan. I notice that he was past 90mph today (so was Jade D.) but pace without control is no use to anyone save as a shock weapon. In ODIs it might even be worth looking at someone like Will Gidman: possibly he just doesn't quite have enough pace, but then people said that Glenn McGrath was only a medium-pacer :-)!

Posted by Munkeymomo on (January 23, 2013, 15:49 GMT)

@Mattzo12: Interesting squad. I'd be tempted to agree RE: Woakes as he has been in NZ playing recently and doing well, would be a good place to give him a chance. Broad needs a bit of FC cricket before he gets back into the squad for me. Would pick Onions instead. I really want Root in the team as he can bowl decent part time spin, something England have lacked in a very long time which nearly all teams have. If Woakes could perform well with the bat it would turn in to a very balanced team.

RE: Prior in the ODI side. He has had MANY chances, including the last world cup. Just because he is the best Keeper-Bat at test level, STOP suggesting him for a place in the ODI side. Bairstow/Buttler are much better options.

Wouldn't mind seeing Root open and Bairstow at 6 though, Prior at 7.

Posted by   on (January 23, 2013, 15:45 GMT)

What about Woakes for the test team? He could be a perfect No. 6...

Posted by Aussiesfalling on (January 23, 2013, 15:45 GMT)

It is odd that Geoff Miller seems to be leaking to all journalist who is in the NZ touring squad before any official announcement.

Posted by 777aditya on (January 23, 2013, 15:39 GMT)

Wonder if Onions will get a go if selected - impresses every time he bowls, yet gets such few opportunities.

Posted by Selassie-I on (January 23, 2013, 15:35 GMT)

As long as Jade Dernbach isn't allowed anywhere near the team for some time, it's a step forward. Bressa should be left in the counties this summer.

Posted by torsha on (January 23, 2013, 14:58 GMT)

When all their top players needed to be in ODIs in India, they weren't there and going to NZ with full strength lineup so they can win some matches. Interesting!

Posted by ADB1 on (January 23, 2013, 14:42 GMT)

"The selectors should never again select the likes of Samit Patel, Jade Dernbach and Tim Bresnan."

@rohanbala: having just winced through the fourth ODI, I couldn't agree more with your comment. Waiting for the match review article to come up, so I can have a rant!!!!!

Posted by nb733 on (January 23, 2013, 14:33 GMT)

I agree wholeheartedly about not having Patel, Dernbach and Bresnan in any more squads, and you can add Keiswetter to that list. Why Prior is not in all squads i dont know, he is clearly the best keeper/batsman in the world and Meaker and Onions deserve a run like Bresnan and Dernbach have had. I would also make sure Broad is fit and bowling fast and aggresively before handing him a spot back, as he has turned into a mid 70mph trundler recently. Swann is rightly first choice, but he and Panesar shoudl always play together in the subcontinent

Posted by PollyJay1 on (January 23, 2013, 14:30 GMT)

Root is a great prospect. Currently England is struggling to find an adequate no. 6 but Root has done a goog job there. Compton did nothing really wrong in India. He didn't make a big score but put on some solid partnerships with Cook. I'd stick with those 2 in those positions for now.

Posted by Tigg on (January 23, 2013, 14:25 GMT)

Surely Onions has to play in the New Zealand series. He's just so much better than Bresnan and Broad. I'd like to see Woakes in the squad, but 4 seamers and a spinner are not needed in New Zealand.

@ashlatchem Really? Finn, despite his high career economy, averages sub 30 in tests. Broad considerably more. Broad is down on pace, and doesn't do an awful lot with the ball. That said, I agree that Onions is better than both.

Posted by Mattzo12 on (January 23, 2013, 14:10 GMT)

Cook, Root, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Prior, Woakes, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn.

My preferred 11. Root is a superior talent and long term prospect than Compton, although it'd be a harsh decision. Woakes' batting is excellent and can develop into a seam bowling allrounder. Broad at his best is brilliant, the rest all pick themselves.

Posted by ashlatchem on (January 23, 2013, 13:47 GMT)

Further to my comment earlier I was trying to say that I'm not too fussed on Broad or Finn as Broad hasn't been anywhere near his best in ages. @rohanbala you have it pretty spot on I wanted Patel to really take his chance but he hasn't and it has been one to many. If Bres goes back to FC cricket and impresses I would have him back and don't even get me started on Dernbach watching him bowl just makes me cringe...

Posted by ashlatchem on (January 23, 2013, 13:38 GMT)

MY XI - Cook, Compton, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Woakes, Prior, Anderson, Onions, ,Finn or Broad, Panesar. XII man - Root

Broad at his best he is better than anything I have seen from Finn so far and ppl always tell me how Finn should come in (good bounce etc.) but everytime he has I feel he has dissapointed. So not too fussed on which of the 2 and I think Onions is better than both that's why I have him there. You can swap Prior with Woakes as I personally believe Prior would make any top six in the world. Just feel this is the best balanced squad... I rate Swanny very highly but everytime opportunities have come up over the 2 subcontinent tours (the only chances Monty has really had) I felt Monty has bowled better and based on that deserves that No 1. spin spot. But you can change em if you want... This is just the best batting line-up and now you have Woakes, KP and Trott as 1 decent part-time option and 2 who can at least throw an arm over.

Posted by rohanbala on (January 23, 2013, 13:25 GMT)

It would be a foolish move to retain Tim Bresnan in the squad to New Zealand. He has contributed nothing so far to warrant a place in the team. The selectors should never again select the likes of Samit Patel, Jade Dernbach and Tim Bresnan.

Andrew McGlashanClose
Andrew McGlashan Assistant Editor Andrew arrived at ESPNcricinfo via Manchester and Cape Town, after finding the assistant editor at a weak moment as he watched England's batting collapse in the Newlands Test. Andrew began his cricket writing as a freelance covering Lancashire during 2004 when they were relegated in the County Championship. In fact, they were top of the table when he began reporting on them but things went dramatically downhill. He likes to let people know that he is a supporter of county cricket, a fact his colleagues will testify to and bemoan in equal quantities.
Tour Results
New Zealand v England at Auckland - Mar 22-26, 2013
Match drawn
New Zealand v England at Wellington - Mar 14-18, 2013
Match drawn
New Zealand v England at Dunedin - Mar 6-10, 2013
Match drawn
NZ XI v England XI at Queenstown - Feb 27-Mar 2, 2013
NZ XI won by 3 wickets
New Zealand v England at Auckland - Feb 23, 2013
England won by 5 wickets (with 75 balls remaining)
More results »