New Zealand v England, 2nd T20, Hamilton

Broad accepts responsibility for loss

ESPNcricinfo staff

February 12, 2013

If ever there was an example of the fluctuating nature of T20 cricket, Stuart Broad has experienced it over the first two matches of the series between England and New Zealand.

England captain Broad, who claimed his best Twenty20 figures of 4 for 24 as his side won the first match on Saturday, suffered the second worst figures (none for 53) of his international T20 career in the second game in Hamilton. New Zealand claimed a 55-run win to leave the series levelled 1-1 with one game to play. The only time Broad has conceded more runs in a T20 came in 2007, when Yuvraj Singh thrashed him for six sixes in an over in Durban.

While Brendon McCullum's excellent innings of 74 from 38 balls was the key ingredient in New Zealand's victory, Broad admitted afterwards that his own performance - both as bowler and captain - were partly to blame. Not only was Broad's bowling expensive - culminating in his last over costing 22 runs - but he also expressed his regret at inserting New Zealand after he had won the toss. Batting appeared to become more difficult as the game progressed, with the evening dew rendering it more difficult to time the ball.

"I made the wrong decision at the toss to bowl," Broad said. "The dew did change the wicket quite a bit and the ball swung.

"The guys said it came off the wicket a bit two-paced as well. New Zealand just bowled length, and that's all they had to do. We didn't adapt to the conditions as well as we could have done. We bowled pretty similar lengths to Eden Park, but New Zealand probably were expecting that a bit more. They had a little bit of luck as well, with top-edges for six, but that can happen.

"On such a small ground, we thought it would be hard to defend virtually anything. But New Zealand took early wickets and as soon as you do that, you have a hold of the game.

"We got certain parts of the game wrong tonight and in such a short format you can't afford to do that. This was pretty much a role reversal from Saturday, but that can happen in the shorter game.

"McCullum played fantastically well. Anyone who can get 70 odd off 30 balls has played a fantastic knock. After 15 or 16 overs, I thought we were really in the game. But I got it slightly wrong at the end and it was always going to be a tough ask."

Broad's guilt will have been assuaged a little by McCullum's admission that he, too, would have inserted the opposition had he won the toss.

"We were going to bowl as well," he said. "It's one of those pitches that does get better, and we saw towards the end as well that if you do manage to have wickets in hand you can access those boundaries quite easily.

"We knew that, whatever score we had, we were going to have to get early wickets in that second innings."

They certainly did that. New Zealand claimed two wickets in the second over, bowled by Mitchell McClenaghan and, by the time England were reduced to 47 for 5 in the 11th over, they needed a miracle to win. "We needed to keep wickets intact,'' Broad said. "But we didn't do that and, as soon as we lost three in the first six overs, we were struggling.''

The only areas of consolation for England were the bowling of Luke Wright - who sent down four tight overs - and the batting of Jos Buttler. Buttler scored 54 from 30 balls and, though his task was always hopeless he again underlined his potential.

"Jos proved that if we had kept wickets in the hand he could have been dangerous at the end," Broad said. "He's a wonderful striker of the ball.

"He's had a really good tour so far, and the way he can hit the ball 360 degrees is pretty frightening. He's going to be a very exciting player for us."

The deciding game of the series takes place in Wellington on Friday.

Posted by Meety on (February 15, 2013, 5:59 GMT)

@ landl47 on (February 13, 2013, 7:04 GMT) - Swann would be a great captain (I said after the 20/20 loss to WI a few yrs ago the same thing - that the post-match interviews would be hilarious!), but I would not play Swann in the T20 side anymore. IMO - he is far too valuable for Test cricket & given there must be a question-mark over his elbow, why waste him in meaningless 20/20s. I would also severely limit his ODI exposure (except for the lead up to the 2015 W/Cup). Swann is Test Match Gold, not to be wasted in 20/20s. Maybe when he retired from Tests, he could lead them then? @JG2704 on (February 13, 2013, 8:39 GMT) - I wonder how much he will be rested from 20/20s (NZ tour aside)? I think Broad's injury concerns would suggest he may not be the constant presence needed either?

Posted by jmcilhinney on (February 14, 2013, 4:51 GMT)

@Bring_Back_Warnie on (February 12, 2013, 15:41 GMT), seriously? He didn't look great in game 2 but took 4/24 in game 1. Would you really drop a bowler one game after those figures? If so, I hope they make you an Australia selector for the Ashes.

Posted by   on (February 13, 2013, 13:58 GMT)

Is Broad really the right person to lead the team? I had doubts when he was appointed the captain and those doubts only deepen now. Perhaps he just doesn't have what it takes to be a good captain.

Posted by trav29 on (February 13, 2013, 10:55 GMT)

problem with collingwood was at the point we made the decision to make broad t20 captain collingwood was nowhere near playing well enough to even get in the team. in the last 12 months he played internationally in 13 t20 games he was averaging 10 with the bat at a strikerate of around 94. and in those 13 games he only bowled 5 overs without taking a wicket at an economy rate of 9.4 so its not even as if he was justifying his place with the flexibility he gave us as an extra bowler.

we probably won the t20 wc when he was captain despite having him in the team rather than because of it , he was so badly out of form. yeah he was undoubtedly a better captain than broad but you cant afford to carry someone who was playing as poorly as he was.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (February 13, 2013, 10:34 GMT)

I'm with Meety on this one. The first game against NZ where Broad 'got-away' with short-pitched bowling was a one-off. Never understood why he was made captain, except perhaps "thinking ahead to the future". O.K. I was rather harsh in another thread and said Broad should even be dropped as a bowler... He has his moments with the ball I guess, but he def. shouldn't be captain at the same time. The problem is who should be captain? K.P. frustrates me... Morgan is erratic... Swann is a good choice but as JG2704 says, he is (correctly IMO) going to be rested for many of these roulette games. God I miss Collingwood!

Posted by trav29 on (February 13, 2013, 9:12 GMT)

@JG i was thinking more of seamers and whilst i agree swann's figures are better in limited overs he does always get the luxury of being able to "hide" by bowling all of his overs outside of powerplays or the death. just once i would like to see swann "man up" in a one day game and take some responsibility by bowling more at the key points.

Posted by JG2704 on (February 13, 2013, 8:47 GMT)

@trav29 on (February 13, 2013, 7:51 GMT) I'd disagree with him being our best shorter overs bowler - Swann is. Having said that - although I'd not have him playing out in NZ at all and rested him for next season - Broad did well in the warm up games and the 1st T20. But that's the nature of comms on cricinfo. I remember pre India we only had one good player in our side and that was KP. Then later on the number of good players listed increased , but we still only had 1 world class player only that was Cook this time. I still think Broad was not the best choice of a captain but maybe he'll prove us wrong in time. Regardless , I don't see Eng relieving him of that role because Eng don't do that - no matter how badly we do

Posted by Patchmaster on (February 13, 2013, 8:44 GMT)

I'm hoping we can have Morgan or Wright as captain, both would be good leaders, but not Broad, I just don't think he has the aptitude for it. Plus, Broad actually used to be able to bat, but now, he's a complete bunny, so he doesn't even bring that skill to the game. Woakes has tocome back in for Broad. I think stick with Bairstow, he's an amazing fielder and great back up for Jos, plus he'll come right with the bat soon. Well played NZ though, that's for sure.

Posted by JG2704 on (February 13, 2013, 8:39 GMT)

@landl47 on (February 13, 2013, 7:04 GMT) re going with Swann , England probably wanted someone who could captain the side for years to come. I agree that Swann would make an ideal captain as I feel he reads the game better than anyone in our side and he has been our best shorter formats player in the last year or so and that includes Mr Hyperbole. However you can't have a player as captain who you're continually going to rest

Posted by trav29 on (February 13, 2013, 7:51 GMT)

whilst i really dont think broad should be captain i find it amazing, although not surprising, that people are so quick to jump on broad as a player after one poor game with the ball. he has almost certainly been our best limited overs bowler for the last couple of years and there are definitely more places in our bowling unit that should be under threat long before broad's.

before his recent injury problems he was our top wicket taker in 4 out of 5 test series and during the 12-18 months after the last ashes had by far the best average and strikerate of any of our bowlers. whether this heel injury is going to affect him on an ongoing basis i dont know but assuming he is fully fit then he should be first bowler on the team sheet for t20s and ODIs and a definite part of our strongest test side.

Posted by landl47 on (February 13, 2013, 7:04 GMT)

@ Meety: I'm with you, I thought, and still think, that Broad was the wrong choice. I would have gone with Swann; he's so far led England 3 times in T20s. They beat India in India and tied a series with the WI 1-1, but the loss wasn't Swann's fault- England restricted the WI to 113 and couldn't chase it down. He's a very canny player with the imagination to do what seems right at the time instead of going by the book. I don't see any such flair from Broad. In fact, the only captain in world cricket with that quality at the moment is Michael Clarke.

Apart from his personal inadequacy, to my mind in this format it's almost impossible for a seam bowler to captain well and still bowl at his best. He's got too much else going on in his head to focus on what he needs to do with the ball. There's a reason so few fast bowlers have become captains and none of them, in my memory, have been very successful except Imran Khan, who never played T20.

Make someone else captain and let Broady bowl.

Posted by Meety on (February 13, 2013, 3:13 GMT)

When Broad first got the nod of captain I was a bit dubious but in the main thought it was a promising decision. England's results have been fair since then (although Broad hasn't always led), I am starting to think he is not really up to the job. England would be better off with someone like Patel as captain or even KP. Retrospectively it should of been Collingwood as a specialist T20 role. Said many times - I don't rate Broad much & on nights like yesterday, who'd blame me? Reality is, McCullum can do that to anyone though. Who'll win the next game??? Easy - get the coin out & flip it!

Posted by Shan156 on (February 12, 2013, 23:41 GMT)

Re: your reply to @Rajasekar_P: lol. Correct me if I am wrong but, I believe he intended to say that Patel should be replaced by Woakes; and, either Bairstow or Tredwell should be replaced by Joe Root. But, I see what you mean - it is confusing when you don't have the proper punctuation:-)

Posted by dabhand on (February 12, 2013, 19:50 GMT)

Good article and spot on summary by Shan156.

Rajasekar_P ---- novel idea allowing England to replace one player with two " Patel should be replaced by Woakes and Bairstow" but I'm sure that would have everyone else whingeing on.

Personally I'd go with Root in preparation for the tests as England are basically in development mode and T20s are neither here nor there afaic.

Posted by subbass on (February 12, 2013, 17:13 GMT)

What a strange game T-20 can be, just a few overs and the game is over ! Shame as at the half-way stage I thought it was going to be a lot closer. But credit to NZ for some high quality new ball bowling. And at least the series goes to the wire.

Posted by Rajasekar_P on (February 12, 2013, 15:47 GMT)

It was not wrong toss decision, It was wrong team selection. Patel should be replaced by Woakes and Bairstow or Tredwell should be replaced by Joe Root

Posted by ozziespirit on (February 12, 2013, 15:41 GMT)

Broad's walked straight back into the England team after taking a hat-trick and is making a funny mess of things. He is acting like a waste of space again, hope he plays in the Ashes.

Tour Results
New Zealand v England at Auckland - Mar 22-26, 2013
Match drawn
New Zealand v England at Wellington - Mar 14-18, 2013
Match drawn
New Zealand v England at Dunedin - Mar 6-10, 2013
Match drawn
NZ XI v England XI at Queenstown - Feb 27-Mar 2, 2013
NZ XI won by 3 wickets
New Zealand v England at Auckland - Feb 23, 2013
England won by 5 wickets (with 75 balls remaining)
More results »