New Zealand v India, 2nd Test, Wellington, 2nd day February 15, 2014

Rahane thanks Dravid, Tendulkar after maiden ton

Ajinkya Rahane thanked his "role model" Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar after scoring a maiden Test hundred in Wellington. Rahane, playing his fifth Test, came in at No 7 when India were still trailing New Zealand and fell after the lead had swelled to 231. His century helped India finish with a first-innings lead of 246.

"I have been following him (Dravid) from my childhood," Rahane said. "He is my role model and I have played with him in the Indian team and also with Rajasthan Royals. I learned a lot, on and off the field and just want to thank Rahul bhai.

"Also Sachin paaji, because during his last two Test matches he told me about my batting. He said, 'I have been following you, your hard work, fitness, how you have conducted yourself. Be the same and your chance will surely come.' So thanks to both of them."

Rahane had fallen short of a century by four runs in his third Test in Durban. At the time, the Indian tail was collapsing and, in trying to get to the landmark in a hurry, with last man Mohammed Shami for company, Rahane swung at Vernon Philander only to be bowled. This time, his companion was Zaheer Khan, who cannot exactly be relied upon to hang around.

Rahane said he knew there was a lot of difference between getting 96 and getting 100, but added he was not thinking about what had happened in Durban.

"In South Africa, when I got 96, I wanted to get that hundred, because the first hundred is really special," he said. "Those four runs were really crucial at that time (in Durban). I know how crucial four runs are now, because a hundred is a hundred. When you get out on 96, it comes in fifties.

"This time I wasn't thinking about my hundred, I just wanted to play one ball at a time. I just wanted to be there as long as possible and play my shots and keep as much strike as possible.

"We were eight down and Zaheer Khan was batting so I told him I will try to play four-five balls and take a single on the last ball. That really helped me because I was in the present and was not thinking about what is going to happen. I just told him to play the way he liked. I told him I am not thinking about my hundred, that I will try and back my ability and my shots. Whatever happens will happen."

Rahane eventually made it to a century with a pulled four off Corey Anderson and the batsman said it was hard to describe what he felt at that time.

"I don't know how to explain (my feelings after reaching the hundred). A Test hundred is always special. A first hundred, I will remember it for a long time... it's a special hundred for me. Tomorrow is a crucial day for us and hopefully the bowlers will do their remaining job."

Rahane said he wanted to take his time at the crease after walking in to bat with the score at 165 for 5. MS Dhoni's counterattack, after Virat Kohli fell, also helped him.

"I just wanted to play my game, whatever I have been playing in domestic cricket, and continue that. He (Dhoni) gave me a lot of confidence," Rahane said. "I had batted with him in South Africa. He just told me to back myself, play my shots. He said: 'Play one ball at a time, that's it, don't think too much.' That really helped me a lot and gave me good confidence."

Abhishek Purohit is a sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo

• on February 16, 2014, 1:36 GMT

It was lovely watching Rahane batting yesterday. Excellent temperament, not overawed, never tried to overhit the ball, silken touch and those sublime drives with perfect placement. What would have happened in the Auckland test if he was not sawn off by the incompetent umpires. Potentially 2-0 series! I hope I am not jumping the gun!

• Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas on February 16, 2014, 0:17 GMT

Take a bow Ajinkya! Marvellous knock! Almost spotless! Congratulations to you on your maiden test century. Lots more to come Ajinkya! You have been following Dravid from your childhood and I've been following your batting over the last 2-3 years. Fantastic temperament! The way you celebrated your century was an eye-opener. You might have embarrassed some 'in your face' batsmen across the globe. That effortless 93 metre sixer was jaw-dropping. No bells and whistles. Simple elegant batting with meticulous timing and elevation to boot! What more I can say about your inning and conduct?! Keep it up! You have a fan unconditionally here. Halla bol halla bol...

• on February 16, 2014, 0:01 GMT

Just so pleases for him. Should have been playing test cricket 3 years ago but our selectors didnt have the bottle to sack any of the players. Ever since he has been on the scene , his technique and temperament has been test standard. Everyone could see that it was only a matter of time. I thought playing t20 might affect his game, but he has showed he is a class act no matter what form of the game

• spinkingKK on February 15, 2014, 22:11 GMT

I predicted Rahane to do well in this tour. I am glad Rahane did it. A maiden hundred is very important. But, I hope Rahane doesn't give too much importance to the hundred. A 96 is just as good. Its only the number of centuries you increase when you score a hundred. But your career average doesn't get affected that much if you score a 96 instead of an even 100. Neither does the hard work you put to rescue your team goes unnoticed if you scored a 96 instead of 100. So, there should be no pressure to complete a century. A 96 is just as good.

• TRAM on February 15, 2014, 21:45 GMT

And how long was he in the bench?

• on February 15, 2014, 20:32 GMT

with this knock i can now see a resurgent Indian batting. Most of our batters have got in and have handled difficult situations and these last 4 test matches will give them a lot of confidence going in to England. However their biggest test would lie in facing a fully fit and fast Mitch Johnson later this year. If they survive that test, there is no doubt, India would be among the front runners to lift the world cup next year. In a way having so many overseas tours just before the world cup is certainly a boast and can only help the players iron out their techniques. As we speak the world cup is exactly an year away and its really heart warming to know that most of our top 6 are now among consistent runs. With Ishant finally joining the wicket taking list, things are looking good for India. However how they fare in the future and how they keep themselves injury free is somethings that needs to seen fingers crossed. I hope it happens and if it does, this new team has the potential.

• Masking_Tape on February 15, 2014, 20:16 GMT

Wear's Sachin's helmet, bats like Dravid.

• lokesh0210 on February 15, 2014, 19:31 GMT

@prasanna_79 +1 to your comment, absolutely right. Even Akram & McGrath never bowled 90 0r 90+ mph but opposition always feared against these legends. Donald was lethal in '96 tour to SA. I've been watching cricket since '96 WC and have hardly seen any batsman fearing Indian bowlers, seen Jayasuriya, Anwar, Hayden, Gayle, Andy Flower becoming star batsmen in world cricket just by touring India or getting us to tour'em, these batsmen simply played with Indian bowling attack like an adult plays against gully-cricket kids. Sad but true.

• phunny_game on February 15, 2014, 19:26 GMT

He got such a good mentor in RD, he was bound to succeed. And although i do not like Unmukt Chand one bit, because of the unnecessary hype and zilch performance, I am actually looking forward to his progress in RR under Dravid's guidance. After a couple of years, he might actually become a player to watch out for.

• MSU_BULLDOG on February 15, 2014, 18:51 GMT

I was hoping they would India would grind it out day 2 and into a large part of day 3 to get NZ out of the game mentally. The lead is significant but I think they are mentally in the game still

• on February 16, 2014, 1:36 GMT

• Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas on February 16, 2014, 0:17 GMT

• on February 16, 2014, 0:01 GMT

• spinkingKK on February 15, 2014, 22:11 GMT

• TRAM on February 15, 2014, 21:45 GMT

And how long was he in the bench?

• on February 15, 2014, 20:32 GMT

• Masking_Tape on February 15, 2014, 20:16 GMT

Wear's Sachin's helmet, bats like Dravid.

• lokesh0210 on February 15, 2014, 19:31 GMT

• phunny_game on February 15, 2014, 19:26 GMT

• MSU_BULLDOG on February 15, 2014, 18:51 GMT

• prasanna_79 on February 15, 2014, 18:21 GMT

Well played Rahane..,but to be No.1 ,i think our team requires an impact bowler who can make the opposition worried about facing him..,be it a mystery spinner or an out & out pace bowler.. We saw how India struggled to get 10 wkts while defending 450+ in the fourth innings of the 1st test against SA..,we also saw how the aussies bundle out the same SA team for 200.., the difference was obvious..,MJ.., Its not only about pace..,even our own V.Aaron was clocking 150 Kmph in NZ.. but the thing is fear factor.., we need a bowler who not only can bowl at a good pace but also should induce some fear in the batsmen's minds about facing him..,U.Yadav & V.Aaron have the pace but lack in attitude & aggression.. By aggression I dont mean sledging, but channelising the energy into your bowling..Good old W.Indies quicks never sledged..,but batsmen were vary of the threat..,Only M.Shami of the current crop seems to have the aggression.. Need a bowling coach who can instill that self-belief & aggro..

• on February 15, 2014, 18:05 GMT

hahaha!!! Its soo obvious in the way Rahane spoke that you can make out, abt dravid... it came from HEART and abt sachin.. it was more of a compulsion!!

• on February 15, 2014, 17:13 GMT

This magnificent century by Ajinkya Rahane makes a huge difference. That partnership with DHONI was the pivotal part to the Indian innings. They rate at which they scored gives the Indian bowlers sufficient time to bowl out New Zealand to a small lead. A lead of around 150 would be the ideal to chase if the black caps make a serious comeback on the third day. Kane Williamson, as he is glowing with form, might be the most crucial batsman in the New Zealand tent at the moment. Again, a rare chance of an overseas victory is looming. Indians should not spoil it.

• cooljack_143 on February 15, 2014, 16:55 GMT

Well I think batting alongside MSD is always confidence to the other player(esp when MSD couterattacks).MSD never hurries on his partner, to play aggressively, unlike KOHLI,if anyone watched in ODI's, he puts tremendous pressure on Rahane every time he comes in to score runs and in the process Rahane gets out playing aggressive shot out of no where.Its time he builds a place for himself in the team and not get intimidated by star guys like Virat.

• on February 15, 2014, 16:15 GMT

Pujara - Dravid , Kohlii - Tendulkar .... and now , the way Rahane batted with tail , both in SA and in NZ , have to say Rahane - VVS Laxman.... Salute new generation Indian batsmen....

• Dhanno on February 15, 2014, 15:56 GMT

@truefactors, how more wrong could you have been :). How do we know anything about nervousness and lack of confidence of Rahane ? I am pretty sure we are not so close to be judge of that. One's demeanor does not mean he is altogether nervous every time he goes out there. I remember when he was thrown in ENG for ODIs on swing friendly conditions he showed immense composure. Its another story that injustice has been met to him, by pushing players like Raina/ Yuvi/ Vijay ahead of him in tests. Rahane has opened the batting for Mumbai but still has to be lower in pecking order for opener's slot after Vijay who has FC avg of 40. Even after such treatment he has taken it in his stride and scored some valuable runs. So stop coming up with theories of he lacks confidence and nervous. Any lesser individual will be nervous if he sees lower grade cricketers getting extended rope to stay in the team.

• DontMessWithZohan on February 15, 2014, 15:53 GMT

It is so nice to see someone in the footsteps of Dravid, my #1 favourite cricketer. Not only Rahane has technique and talent, he also seems to have similar gentleman attitude of Dravid. Keep it up, boy!

It just seems more and more that the far future of Indian cricket will be composed of Kohli, Rahane and Pujara. In current lineup, I think Rahane will be great at #4 in both tests and ODIs with Kohli in #3 in ODIs, #5 in Tests; and with Pujara #3 in Tests.

Inclusion of Rahane in ODI middle order will certainly be bad for Pujara's chances in ODIs - but by looking at the performance of other Indian batsmen (especially Rohit Sharma and Suresh Raina), I think it may also be a great idea to have Rahane as an opener in ODIs, followed by Kohli at #3 and Pujara at #4.

• The_other_side on February 15, 2014, 15:44 GMT

Every shot he played was silky smooth and very easy to the eye... There was so much good timing and simple technique, we should thank Rahane for such a graceful innings!!

His off side technique coupled with his size, resembled of GR Viswanath. The grace and style of Azhar and Laxman. Easily the most stylish overseas100 I have seen in last 2-3 years!!!

Dhawan Rahane Kohli Pujara and hopefully Rohit sounds like a good future investment for Batting for Indian Team...

Rahane's shots are easily the best I have seen this series!!

• on February 15, 2014, 15:01 GMT

It is too early to comment on his batting. He did well today, but his last 6 ODIs average is less than 10. He looks more suitable for Tests, he should replace in ODIs with Rayudu/Raina/Yuvi.

• cnksnk on February 15, 2014, 15:01 GMT

Great job Jinxs. india now have atleast 3 or may be 4 batsmen who are lock ins for some time to come. Pujara, Kholi, Rahane and may be Dhawan. Given that all of them are young in their 20's, I wonder how the other cricketers with talent like Sanju etc will get a break, unless one of these guys get injured. Vijay is still iffy but has shown the ability to grind 100's. Also there are not too many youngsters who are openers who are breaking the door with their performance. The only other slot is Rohit. Given the support that he has with the powers that be there does not seem to be too many chances for him to bge dropped any time soon. with the 70 odd that he made in the first test he will play atleast the first 3 tests in England. Tendulkar , given all his talent, was given a break when he was 16 - 17. Does not look as if any one of the players currently playing U 19 will get a chance any time soon. It may be easier to get into the Indian team if one is a fast bowler who can hit 140.

• PMadhavarao on February 15, 2014, 14:44 GMT

@TrueFactors - Totally agree with your analysis of Rahane. Just wanted to add that some of Rahane's technique also resembles Laxman's

• on February 15, 2014, 14:38 GMT

@Peter Jerome: He has been an opener in First Class cricket for a long time, that is why he thinks like a top order batsman and can play the new ball.

• Mr.CricketJKNotHussey on February 15, 2014, 14:37 GMT

@Ravi Krishnamurthy Actually, limited overs cricket is a good way for players to get back into form. It provides a break from the monotony of 4/5 day matches and players get to be inventive and try new things as they have the pressure to score quickly or take wickets. Rahane here, despite his impressive FC stats, was noticed on the big stage only in the IPL. From there he made his way into national reckoning. Kohli is another product of T20 to test status batsmen. David Warner, who has been instrumental for Aus lately, made his name through T20s. Johnson found form and confidence in the IPL. With this many examples, I don't see why poeple are still adamant that limited over cricket only damages players.

• on February 15, 2014, 14:02 GMT

is he thanking them because they at last retired and gave him a chance?

• on February 15, 2014, 13:56 GMT

Dear boy Rahane: Proud of you, as a classy batsman & as a fine human being. Remain that way. God bless you.

• TrueFactors on February 15, 2014, 13:50 GMT

For those readers - who don't know enough about Rahane....

Rahane is one of few technically correct best batsmen around the globe at this time. He has a class of Dravid, Kallis and Tendulkar. Only problem he has is, his confidence and nervousness to prove himself. Along with Pujara, he is second best test batsman in Indian team and second best ODI batsman behind Kohli. He is not as hyped as Rohit Sharma, but he is 10 times better than Rohit Sharma and 5 times better than Kohli in test.

In Indian national team, he is so eager to establish himself that, he pass thru nervousness and get out. His confidence level is hurting with his nervousness to prove himself. If he leave all behind and play his natural game, the way he play in domestic cricket, he can leave Kohli behind in no-time and will be able to establish himself as No.4 in test as well as classic opener in ODI matches (as a true replacement of Tendulkar).

• Johnny_129 on February 15, 2014, 13:31 GMT

Congrats to Rehane - I have always backed him because he looked compact and solid. He never seemed out of place. Similarly, Dhawan is another who always looked good but kept getting out to poor execution. Compared to Rohit and Vijay both Rehane and Dhawan look more likely - For future matches, India can use a bowling all-rounder (such as Ashwin) in place of Vijay or Rohit??!

• rohan024 on February 15, 2014, 13:23 GMT

I would have Rahane bat at no:4 in the world cup, he deserves that position.

• Dhanno on February 15, 2014, 12:55 GMT

@ HUmdingerer. Kindly read the article again if you plan to make outrageous comments (or watch the game). The guy came in at #7 to bat, indians were still trailing at that point and when he left India had 230+ lead. Had it been that Rahane batted with all the top order batsman for company and then got out quickly, maybe you would have had a point. But with tail end (and dhoni) to put up 200+ runs is a good effort.

I do see a point about Dhoni Swishing his bat though. The guy plays same way no matter what the situation, if Dhoni would have been out for 25 in 12 balls then this innings would have closed too early. But Rahane always set himself to play a proper test inning and there is no reason to question that.

• shrastogi on February 15, 2014, 12:28 GMT

Well done Rahane. I would just forget your first test display as nerves. Watching you from T20s , ODIs to tests I have a feeling that you back yourself too much in shorter formats as if you are trying to prove a point. A good player knows his limitations. Have you thought that your list A average is just 34ish but the shots that you get out to makes it seem as 54ish. You can be a huge factor if India has to defend its world title. So sort your game out in shorter format. If you can bat so well in alien conditions in tests there is no reason why you shouldnt do well in ODIs.

• PeterJerome on February 15, 2014, 12:14 GMT

Man this chap talks the language of top order players. i mean they are the ones who always value hundreds that much( Not trying to dimune him in saying so). I think he deserves a chance higher up the order. Not a bad choice for an opener either. He faced the new ball that time quite well. HI Rohit, wish to say you bye Rohit.

• on February 15, 2014, 12:13 GMT

@ Upen Singh, firstly, it's called an opinion. everyone has one. secondly, a LARGE number of former crcketers actually agree with the fact that playing large amounts or regular 20-20 cricket actually does hinder a batsmans aptitude for long innings. Relax dude!

• yjreddyindia on February 15, 2014, 12:03 GMT

Probably the best test player in indian team is Rahane.

• inswing on February 15, 2014, 11:35 GMT

Well done Rahane. He always look like a capable player even when he didn't score big. After Pujara and Kohli, now we have Rahane and Dhawan who have cemented their place. Question marks over Rohit and Vijay. In bowling, question mark over everyone except maybe Shami. Unfortunately Ishant cannot be dropped now for another year, so one can only hope that he actually bowls better.

• on February 15, 2014, 11:33 GMT

@ Ravi Krishnamurthy : Please tell us, who are you? Are you a Cricket coach? What a shame of comment. What a hell of comment. You people suggested what shouuld do and don't. I don't think If any player play t20s and they loose technique.

Good going AM Rahene, keep it up... Thanks for your brilliant hundred.

• on February 15, 2014, 11:15 GMT

I always had a faith on Rahane when I saw him in Australia tour and playing in One day side. I saw his fearless batting. We always support you. your solid stroke remind me a bit of Rahul dravid style. Keep it up.. We will back you donot worry. Congrartulations!!!

• balajik2505 on February 15, 2014, 11:10 GMT

Rahane has a very good domestic average. What it shows is that he has the temperament to build big innings. It is time BCCI takes a hard look at domestic averages and starts blooding people who average 60+ in batting, instead of the favouritism shown to some players. As for the bowling, a start has been made this Ranji season with most of the pitches being green-tops. However most bowlers at the domestic level bowl in the 130 range, so the domestic set-up should start encouraging these guys to bend their backs and get guys who bowl consistently at 135-140. As for Ishant I notice nowadays he has become medium pace. He seems to be bowling with good control now. But he should start working on increasing his pace and marrying it to control. Bowlers who bowl around 140 with good control are more dangerous than at around 130.

• xylo on February 15, 2014, 11:07 GMT

Rightly so! Thanks Dravid for being a role model and thanks Tendulkar for finally quitting the team so that he could get a look in.

• on February 15, 2014, 10:59 GMT

congrats rahane .its really shameful that some people are backing up players like rohit who should be kicked out for his failures yuvraj was shown the door who played excellently in world cup why not to kick jadeja rohit raina for there performances

• ravi_hari on February 15, 2014, 10:58 GMT

With people like Rahane, Kohli, Pujara around the future of Indian batting looks really in safe hands. It is heartening to see Rahane and Pujara play the copy book style in an era of flamboyance. If you compare both the tons from Indians in this series, one would love the way Rahane played. Dhawan also curbed a lot of stroke play to make his ton, but always looks at attacking. Rahane plays it as per merit. He has done it many times in domestic and T20 cricket. But doing the same against some top class bowling on green top is very special. If you look at the present batting order, everyone except Rohit and Dhoni have tons outside sub-continent. That augurs well for India. I think India needs to nurture such talent and get replacements for Vijay and Rohit. Get rid of Dhoni quickly and hand the mantle to Kohli. Rahane is the man for the future and his temperament is top class. He can become another Laxman if not Dravid. Well done Rahane we want to see a lot more from you. Keep going!

• on February 15, 2014, 9:51 GMT

Congradulations Rahane. You did well to make a century when India needed it most. Dravid and Tendu will be proud f you and so are we. Keep it u.

But pl remain Test batsman and keep out of ODI's abd T20's. You will lose your technique otherwise.. Same is my advice for Pujara too...

• Aravind_Verified on February 15, 2014, 9:47 GMT

Good to see players like Rahane,Pujara,Raina,Sanju Samson,KL Rahul following and crediting their success to Rahul Dravid..Lot of junior players follow him these days and rightly so..he is the best teacher they could get and he is always ready to help them..

• on February 15, 2014, 9:30 GMT

Rahane steps up to the plate and shows selectors why he should be a fixture in test and ODI sides, so happy for him, has been messed around too much by selectors, needs to be shown some confidence by skipper and selectors, more talented then any raina or rohit sharma.

• Humdingers on February 15, 2014, 9:01 GMT

India need to learn to shut out oppositions. Why not turn a 250 run lead into an unassailable one? Instead we had Zaheer swinging, Dhoni just being Dhoni the ODI player, Nohit etc. Even Rahane should have kicked on for a BIG hundred.

• Shumbu on February 15, 2014, 8:55 GMT

Glad that India found a young test batsman who can play abroad! As he is from the school of Rahul Dravid, I am sure that Rahane will be reliable and disciplined throughout his career.... Good luck Mr Ajinkya Rahane!

• screamscorpion on February 15, 2014, 8:49 GMT

I feel very happy for this man, who was warming up in benches for quite a long time and now has announced his arrival here. Would love to see him bat at number 5 and that makes an incredible middle order which the fab 4 could be proud of. Still wondering what will be the role of Rohit Sharma. All the best AR. Continue our idol's (RD) legacy.

• No featured comments at the moment.

• screamscorpion on February 15, 2014, 8:49 GMT