|South Africa 1st innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|AM Bacher||c Mahanama b Wickramasinghe||6||35||30||0||0||20.00|
|G Kirsten||lbw b Vaas||62||203||136||9||0||45.58|
|HD Ackerman||c & b Muralitharan||23||72||54||1||0||42.59|
|DJ Cullinan||b Wickramasinghe||113||222||159||13||1||71.06|
|WJ Cronje*||c Mahanama b Vaas||49||92||90||6||1||54.44|
|JH Kallis||c Ranatunga b Muralitharan||3||20||13||0||0||23.07|
|SM Pollock||lbw b Wickramasinghe||92||198||138||8||1||66.66|
|MV Boucher†||run out (Mahanama)||33||126||94||2||0||35.10|
|AA Donald||b Muralitharan||12||37||36||1||0||33.33|
|PR Adams||st †Kaluwitharana b Muralitharan||2||14||6||0||0||33.33|
|M Ntini||not out||3||5||7||0||0||42.85|
|Extras||(lb 8, nb 12)||20|
|Total||(all out; 124.4 overs)||418||(3.35 runs per over)|
|PA de Silva||4||0||15||0||3.75|
|Sri Lanka 1st innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|ST Jayasuriya||c †Boucher b Donald||17||19||15||3||0||113.33|
|MS Atapattu||c Cullinan b Adams||60||194||129||7||0||46.51|
|RS Mahanama||c †Boucher b Donald||9||21||20||2||0||45.00|
|PA de Silva||c †Boucher b Ntini||77||117||98||13||0||78.57|
|A Ranatunga*||c Ackerman b Adams||20||27||26||3||0||76.92|
|HP Tillakaratne||c †Boucher b Pollock||22||99||73||2||0||30.13|
|RS Kaluwitharana†||lbw b Pollock||13||54||41||2||0||31.70|
|WPUJC Vaas||c †Boucher b Pollock||30||84||60||6||0||50.00|
|GP Wickramasinghe||c sub (L Klusener) b Pollock||11||28||19||0||0||57.89|
|M Muralitharan||not out||15||37||22||3||0||68.18|
|KR Pushpakumara||c †Boucher b Donald||4||19||17||1||0||23.52|
|Extras||(b 8, lb 7, w 1, nb 12)||28|
|Total||(all out; 84.3 overs)||306||(3.62 runs per over)|
|South Africa 2nd innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|G Kirsten||c Mahanama b Vaas||15||41||28||2||0||53.57|
|AM Bacher||c †Kaluwitharana b Vaas||0||11||2||0||0||0.00|
|JH Kallis||st †Kaluwitharana b Jayasuriya||49||177||140||5||1||35.00|
|DJ Cullinan||c Tillakaratne b Muralitharan||68||174||123||7||1||55.28|
|WJ Cronje*||c Muralitharan b Jayasuriya||74||197||147||4||3||50.34|
|MV Boucher†||c Jayasuriya b Muralitharan||10||28||32||1||0||31.25|
|HD Ackerman||lbw b Muralitharan||8||54||54||0||0||14.81|
|SM Pollock||st †Kaluwitharana b Jayasuriya||6||43||38||0||0||15.78|
|AA Donald||c Pushpakumara b Jayasuriya||18||62||50||2||0||36.00|
|PR Adams||c †Kaluwitharana b Muralitharan||3||22||6||0||0||50.00|
|M Ntini||not out||0||6||3||0||0||0.00|
|Extras||(b 4, lb 3, w 1, nb 5)||13|
|Total||(all out; 103 overs)||264||(2.56 runs per over)|
|KR Pushpakumara||8||0||24||0||3.00||(1nb, 1w)|
|PA de Silva||1||1||0||0||0.00|
|Sri Lanka 2nd innings (target: 377 runs)||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|ST Jayasuriya||lbw b Donald||0||10||7||0||0||0.00|
|MS Atapattu||c & b Adams||71||243||200||9||0||35.50|
|RS Mahanama||c Kallis b Pollock||11||39||29||1||0||37.93|
|PA de Silva||c Kallis b Adams||37||82||62||6||0||59.67|
|A Ranatunga*||c Kirsten b Kallis||43||120||93||6||0||46.23|
|HP Tillakaratne||lbw b Donald||13||74||56||2||0||23.21|
|RS Kaluwitharana†||b Pollock||45||72||61||8||0||73.77|
|WPUJC Vaas||c †Boucher b Donald||0||1||1||0||0||0.00|
|GP Wickramasinghe||b Ntini||51||62||45||8||1||113.33|
|M Muralitharan||run out (Cullinan)||10||33||14||2||0||71.42|
|KR Pushpakumara||not out||9||21||15||2||0||60.00|
|Extras||(b 5, lb 3, nb 8)||16|
|Total||(all out; 95.3 overs)||306||(3.20 runs per over)|
- Makhaya Ntini makes his Test debut.
- Lunch: SA 79/2 (Kirsten 33, Cullinan 8, 27 overs)
- Tea: SA 192/3 (Cullinan 73, Cronje 13, 57 overs)
- Cullinan scored his 4th Test century.
- The 4th wicket partnership of 96 by Cullinan and Cronje was a new record for South Africa against Sri Lanka.
- Lunch: SA 402/8 (Pollock 81, 120 overs)
- Tea: SL 92/2 (Atapattu 25, de Silva 36, 20 overs)
- Pollock made his highest Test score (Previous 82 vs Pakistan at Sheikhupura, 1997/98)
- The 7th wicket partnership of 95 by Pollock and Boucher was a new record for South Africa against Sri Lanka.
- The 9th wicket partnership of 12 by Pollock and Adams was a new record for South Africa against Sri Lanka.
- The 3rd wicket partnership of 129 by Atapattu and de Silva was a new record for any wicket for Sri Lanka against South Africa.
- The Sri Lankan 3rd wicket partnership is the highest recorded against South Africa in a Test at Newlands - previously 109 by PA Gibb and WR Hammond for England in 1938/39.
- Lunch: Sri Lanka 300/9 (Muralitharan 15, Pushpakumara 0, 80 overs)
- Tea: South Africa 47/2 (Kallis 6, Cullinan 23, 20 overs)
- The 8th wicket partnership of 29 by Vaas and Wickramasinge was a new record for Sri Lanka against South Africa.
- The 9th wicket partnership of 30 by Vaas and Muralitheran was a new record for Sri Lanka against South Africa.
- The 3rd wicket partnership of 116 by Kallis and Cullinan was a new record for South Africa against Sri Lanka.
- Cullinan became the 14th South African (the 4th since re-admission) to reach 2000 Test runs.
- Boucher held 6 catches in an innings to equal the South African record - This is the second time in a row that he has done this.
- Attendance : 11 500
- Lunch: South Africa 219/7 (Cronje 54, 86.5 overs)
- Tea: Sri Lanka 27/1 (Attapatu 14, Mahanama 11, 11 overs)
- Jayasuria achieved his best bowling in a Test match beating his previous best of 3/45 vs India at Colombo in 1997/98
- The 264 made by South Africa is their lowest total vs Sri Lanka.
- Attendance : 16 500
- Lunch: Sri Lanka 209/5 (Tillakaratne 9, Kaluwitharana 25, 75 overs)
- The 9th wicket partnership of 48 by Wickramasinge and Muralitharan was a new record for Sri Lanka against South Africa.
- The 10th wicket partnership of 18 by Wickramasinghe and Pushpakumara was a new record for Sri Lanka against South Africa.
- Wickramasinghe scored his maiden Test 50 - previous highest score 43 vs New Zealand at Dunedin, 1996/97
- This was the 6th time in Test history that a team has been dismissed for the same total in both innings, and the highest score of those 6 occurrances.
- Total attendance : 46313