NZC backs Moles to stay on as coach
New Zealand Cricket has moved to back the coach Andy Moles after a report in Thursday's Dominion Post said senior players wanted Moles sacked. Without naming any individuals, the paper reported that the players believed Moles was not up to standard as an international coach, despite guiding them to the final of the Champions Trophy.
NZPA has reported that Moles is set to enter mediation talks with NZC to deal with the players' concerns before the team flies out on Monday to play Pakistan in the UAE. Earlier on Thursday Justin Vaughan, the NZC chief executive, issued a statement to confirm that Moles remained the coach and was preparing the side for the upcoming tour, although there was a team review in place.
"Following the Black Caps' return from Sri Lanka and the Champions Trophy we are undertaking a review of the team's performance," Vaughan said. "This looks at all aspects of individual and collective performance with a view to continuous improvement."
The Dominion Post reported that the senior players had a list of concerns including that Moles had not given them enough tactical or technical support and that the captain Daniel Vettori had effectively been coaching the side for the past six months. The paper said that mediation was taking place.
Moles took over from John Bracewell 11 months ago and has a contract until the 2011 World Cup. New Zealand have continued to be a competitive one-day side during his reign, winning nine of 19 ODIs, but they haven't won any of their seven Tests since Moles took over.