|Photos||Video & Audio||Blogs||Statistics||Archive||Shop||Mobile|
February 25, 2005
Martin Snedden, the New Zealand Cricket chief executive, has dismissed Ian Smith's suggestion to save money by sacking three selectors who "don't appear to do anything". Smith's criticism came after the naming of the "boring" and "unimaginative" 13-man squad for the third and fourth one-day matches against Australia.
"If [Smith] suggests we get rid of selectors after an 80% success rate then we'd very quickly run out of people involved in the sport," Snedden said in the Dominion Post. Snedden said he had previously asked Smith to be on the panel and consulted with him on selection issues in December. John Bracewell, the New Zealand coach, is the chairman of the panel that includes Sir Richard Hadlee, Ross Dykes and Brian McKechnie.
Smith said Daryl Tuffey was "so far out of form it's not funny", Kyle Mills did not look at peak fitness and the selectors paid no attention to State Shield performances. "I don't know what Graeme Aldridge and Lance Hamilton have to do with the way they've bowled their skins off for their provinces this year," Smith said. "I'm a big fan of playing players when they're warm because the season's not long. They're also fit and new to Australia. I'd just hate to think that if we lose this series 5-0 - and that's a chance - that we've learned nothing from it."
Snedden said the panel had picked sides that moved New Zealand from seventh to second in the world and had won 21 of 26 matches since Bracewell became coach. "I just don't agree with the main gist of his argument where he's essentially calling for the sacking of the selectors," he said. "I just think it's a complete over-reaction."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
A look back at five high-profile exhibition matches