New Zealand news March 2, 2010

Vincent wants another shot at New Zealand

Cricinfo staff

Lou Vincent, the New Zealand batsman, expressed his disappointment at being ignored by the national selectors despite his success with Auckland in the domestic Twenty20 competition and thinks he still has it in him to play for his country.

Mark Greatbatch, the New Zealand coach, said Vincent was not considered for the upcoming ODI series against Australia because he did not commit to New Zealand cricket. Vincent, however, denied Greatbatch's contention and said he had attempted to clear the air with the coach.

"I made it perfectly clear to Greatbatch. I want to play for New Zealand. I want to be considered for the Twenty20 World Cup. That's my niche, that's my specialty. I've definitely proved to the world and to the New Zealand selectors I've still got what it takes," Vincent was quoted as saying in New Zealand Herald.

Vincent last played for New Zealand in December 2007 before he was dropped from the side. After suffering from a bout of depression that threatened to end his career early, Vincent gave up his New Zealand contract to play in the Indian Cricket League. After moving on from the ICL, Vincent had been living in the UK before heading back to New Zealand in the hope of returning to the top flight.

With the selectors continuing to ignore him, Vincent is considering taking up club cricket in the UK. Though his chief interest lies in playing for New Zealand, Vincent is aware that he could qualify for England in less than two years.

"I came back to New Zealand to prove that I wanted to play cricket again and to tell the selectors that I want to play for New Zealand again. And I guess the ball is in their court. And yeah, if all else fails I might play against the Black Caps at the next Twenty20 World Cup for England," Vincent said.