New Zealand news

Vettori turns down NZC contract

ESPNcricinfo staff

July 5, 2013

Daniel Vettori arrives on crutches for a press conference, Auckland, July 5, 2013
Daniel Vettori arrives at a press conference in Auckland on crutches © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Daniel Vettori
Teams: New Zealand

Daniel Vettori's playing future is unclear after he decided not to take up a New Zealand Cricket contract this year due to uncertainty over his recovery from injury. Vettori said he intended to work hard to return to playing over the next six months, following surgery on his Achilles tendon, but the doubt about when he would regain full fitness led him to take himself out of the mix for either an NZC contract or a deal with Northern Districts.

Vettori, 34, had surgery following the recent Champions Trophy, at which he made his comeback to one-day internationals for the first time in nearly two and a half years. He has not played Test cricket for nearly a year, since the series in the West Indies last July, and although he hopes to add to his 112 Test appearances and 360 wickets, his playing future will only be determined after his recovery from surgery is complete.

"I am very focused on my recovery from my recent surgery and will be working hard to get back onto the playing field over the next six-month period," Vettori said. "Given the time I'll need to spend out of the game with my recovery, and the level of uncertainty about when I may play again, it doesn't feel right that I take up a retainer contract this year. I will now focus on my rehabilitation in the coming months, with the overall goal of making a return to the cricket field during the summer months. Hopefully it goes well.

"I'm really hopeful the surgery is the final effort to get it right, and speaking to the surgeon, he's pretty confident he could get it right," Vettori said. "He's dealt with similar sorts of injury in the past and had guys come back to full sporting activity, so let's just hope it works.

"I suppose it's been a real grind the last 18 months with the injury and in a lot of ways it has probably diminished some of the appetite to do a lot of things but I think that's purely down to the injury so ... if I can get this injury right, who knows. This has been unlike anything else I've had to deal with in the past. I just want to get it right then the future will crystallise after that."

David White, the NZC chief executive, said: "In the ICC Champions Trophy Dan showed the immense value that he still brings to the Black Caps side. Unfortunately Dan has indicated he's in a position where he feels uncomfortable taking a contract this season, as he builds towards making a return to the cricket field.

"As always, Dan has made his decision in the best interests of New Zealand Cricket and we appreciate his honesty and up-front approach. There's no doubting Dan's hunger to continue competing, and we hope to see him back playing for the Black Caps again when the time is right."

Posted by Vilander on (July 6, 2013, 6:52 GMT)

What a man a and what a cricketer ! # Respect. Ps: He will make times this money in IPL once he is back to fitness...its better that some young lad makes this cash now..

Posted by shad11 on (July 6, 2013, 6:46 GMT)

this is what you call a selfless act. in such days where cricketers are willing to sacrifice anything for money vettori is a real gentleman. i would really like to see him playing test cricket for new zealand again

Posted by   on (July 6, 2013, 4:22 GMT)

I hope this guy is the next coach of NZ! A legend of NZ cricket, deserved to win more! I hope he comes back and helps NZ to a WC victory in 2015

Posted by ADARSH100 on (July 5, 2013, 20:50 GMT)

Best of Luck. God bless you and we pray for your fast recovery :)

Posted by ThatsJustCricket on (July 5, 2013, 20:09 GMT)

a real selfless act from a class player.

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 19:34 GMT)

Class act. $100K isn't much to him at this point but it means a lot to others trying to make it in the game.

Posted by tjdo on (July 5, 2013, 18:15 GMT)

A sensible & typically selfless decision which puts NZC first & allows Dan the chance to make what I hope will be a full recovery. The comments already made say it all - a true sportsman & a real gentleman who is much missed by his many fans all over the cricket world. Good luck with the recovery, Dan! Hope to see you back where you belong soon!!

Posted by balajik1968 on (July 5, 2013, 17:44 GMT)

In the last 3 odd years, Vettori seems to have missed more matches than he has played; maybe the body is no longer as willing. Wish you luck, Harry Potter lookalike, hope the rest of your career and life is injury-free.

Posted by sammykent on (July 5, 2013, 17:05 GMT)

People talk about playing cricket in the spirit of the game. This man embodies it on and off the field.

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 14:33 GMT)

Posted by Nods on (July 5, 2013, 14:10 GMT)

a perrrrfect gentleman...if ever there is a concept of such a thing(include dravid..of course)....get well soon DAN...we miss you....

Posted by Pakifan23 on (July 5, 2013, 13:19 GMT)

It's an achilles injury, which means it's one of the worst injuries a cricket player could get... but with Vettori's given will and love for cricket, I'm confident he may come for a comeback, although not many people have come back with the same performances in the past...

Posted by kentjones on (July 5, 2013, 12:43 GMT)

Vettori shows the class act he is both on and off the field. His decision to stand down indicates his integrity and also his commitment to NZC. All cricket lovers are optimistic for a full recovery for him and anticipate a few more good years from this outstanding cricketer for NZ. It is most distressing for him I am sure, that such an injury should occur at this stage of his career, but I am also certain the tenacity and resolve that New Zealnders are noted for will see him through this. Mr. Vettori, take your time and recover, we look forward to seeing you on the field of play in the not to distant future.

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 12:42 GMT)

Whilst it's commendable that Vettori takes time out to sort out his injuries and thus relinquish his central contract, if he wants to be a gun for hire, it makes it easier to not have a central contract... Mind you given his length of service to New Zealand, he's earned the right to dictate terms!

Posted by Min2000 on (July 5, 2013, 12:38 GMT)

Vettori will return to cricket in 2014. Maybe not for the Black Caps immediately, but if he can get his fitness back there's no reason why he can't play test cricket for another 3-4 years.

If he can play another 10-15 games he will join the great Kapil Dev as the only players in the history of test cricket to take over 400 wickets and score more than 5,000 runs.

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 12:16 GMT)

Vittori has some real class and he shows it here...i already had high regard for him but now he's gained even more of my respect

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 12:10 GMT)

Vetori is a true sportsmen and honest to boot....best of luck on your recovery

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 11:56 GMT)

Get well soon Danny...A lot of respect, and cheers from Pakistan...such a Gentleman cricket u r

Posted by atul1401 on (July 5, 2013, 11:55 GMT)

After Rahul Dravid's retirement not many are left in what is called a gentleman's game. Dan is certainly one of the few! He won't take the ride if he feels he won't be able to justify it. Get well Soon Dan... Good luck!

Posted by Samar_Singh on (July 5, 2013, 11:36 GMT)

Salute to a true gentlemen.

Posted by Lenniesahayi on (July 5, 2013, 11:30 GMT)

Great decision,get well soon Dan

Posted by nattuz on (July 5, 2013, 10:36 GMT)

a truly gentleman cricketer , a rare one these days!!

Posted by sharidas on (July 5, 2013, 10:15 GMT)

I wish Vettori a quick recovery and hope to see him playing again.

Posted by mar2000 on (July 5, 2013, 10:02 GMT)

Vettori, we the cricket loving public do wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you on the field of play SOOOOOOON.

Posted by lomutrain on (July 5, 2013, 9:55 GMT)

@plow I don't know if i would expect a body type such as Vettori's to last till your average retirement age. I am expecting fitness problems to cause a failed year long return. I certainly hope this is not the case and wouldn't be terribly surprised if he can pull it off.

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 9:31 GMT)

Get well soon Danny. World cricket needs you. He is critical for the sustained performance of the New Zealand test team. While his role as a bowler is well known, what is also important is his batting. The Mcmillans and Taylors are not known to hold up one end and play fighting innings. Only Dan Vettori and Williamson in the New Zealand line up are capable of it.

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 8:50 GMT)

true cricketing legend...

Posted by harmske on (July 5, 2013, 8:48 GMT)

@earley98 - he's played IPL cricket pretty much every season whilst being a NZC contracted cricketer, so I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 8:44 GMT)

Dan U r the man.. true spirit of a sports person.. Hope to see u back soon in action..

Posted by Binodbikash on (July 5, 2013, 8:42 GMT)

What a gentleman !! Its player like him who still makes cricket worth following.

Posted by earley98 on (July 5, 2013, 8:27 GMT)

I see a lot are commending his honesty, but I'll take the more cynical view that, should he so wish, he can now play IPL next year without people saying how much he owes NZ cricket. He has made himself a free agent. I'm not saying he won't play for NZ again, and I hope he does, but there is no doubt it will be on his terms.

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 8:22 GMT)

Has to be the hippest hipster in world sport. He played cricket before cricket was cool...

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 8:14 GMT)

A salute Dan for his bold decision.

Posted by mikej1971 on (July 5, 2013, 8:07 GMT)

I'll sell NZC my achilles ,hammys,eyes and what ever to get this legend back on the pitch again he is worth that.I bet the driver of the vehicle he was in when he had that accident in when he was younger feels good now.

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 8:07 GMT)

always had high regards for Vittori and he justifies it yet again.

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 7:39 GMT)

Impressive I must say... Why cant we get such honest players?

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 7:30 GMT)

Salute to the Self-Respect that has shown by the great cricketer.

Posted by kiwicricketnut on (July 5, 2013, 4:35 GMT)

what a selfless act that was, he would have got a contract for sure and probably quite a high paying one instead he turns it down to free up some money for someone else, champion, hoping for a speedy recovery.

Posted by Snowbadger15 on (July 5, 2013, 3:58 GMT)

Very selfless by vettori, I just hope franklin doesn't get his contract. Hopefully Colin Munro gets it, he has plenty of talent to offer in the limited over formats

Posted by Dr_Van_Nostrand on (July 5, 2013, 3:49 GMT)

Hope Dan is back for the Bangladesh tour. Will need a good run there to get himself right for the big home season NZ has coming up. Dan has said many times he's targeting the 2015 WC and I think everyone who knows cricket is hoping he gets there.

Posted by class9ryan on (July 5, 2013, 3:41 GMT)

Lot of uncertainty in Dan's statement. I fear we might never see him playing for the Black Caps. But as a gentleman as he always was, thought in interest of NZC and KUDOS to Dan.

Posted by   on (July 5, 2013, 3:36 GMT)

the complete cricketer

Posted by Jordanious77 on (July 5, 2013, 1:33 GMT)

Very respectful from Vettori. However, the BlackCaps won't be playing many if any games for the rest of the year, so the 6 months recovery time won't really effect NZC.

I think Dan is worried that he won't ever be fit enough to put on the black jersey again, so won't feel right accepting a contract when hes potentially considering not even playing.

It must be hard having to recover from injury after injury after injury. You feel Vettori is on his last legs and despite being a solid player still, won't be playing consistently enough to make a real impact in the team. He might see it that way as well and be looking towards retirement

Country Fixtures Country Results
WI Women v NZ Women at Basseterre - Sep 14
WI Women won by 65 runs
6th Match, Qualifying Group: Mum Indians v Northern D at Raipur
Sep 16, 2014 (20:00 local | 14:30 GMT | 10:30 EDT | 09:30 CDT | 07:30 PDT)
WI Women v NZ Women at Basseterre
Sep 17, 2014 (09:30 local | 13:30 GMT | 09:30 EDT | 08:30 CDT | 06:30 PDT)
4th ODI: WI Women v NZ Women at Basseterre
Sep 19, 2014 (09:30 local | 13:30 GMT | 09:30 EDT | 08:30 CDT | 06:30 PDT)
1st T20I: WI Women v NZ Women at Kingstown
Sep 23, 2014 (14:00 local | 18:00 GMT | 14:00 EDT | 13:00 CDT | 11:00 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »