NZC gives head coach more say in selection
New Zealand's head coach will have "ultimate control" over the selection of their team from here on, New Zealand Cricket (NZC) has announced. The board also said the role for general manager national selection, which is being vacated by Kim Littlejohn in September, will be advertised, and Richard Hadlee will be part of the panel that interviews candidates for the job.
The head coach, currently Mike Hesson, will be aided in the selection process by the general manager national selection. The pair will be supported by two part-time talent scouts, and the six major associations' coaches.
"We believe the head coach is best placed to understand the selection challenges and the relative strengths and weaknesses of their squad, as well as having the best knowledge of the conditions and the opposition," NZC chief executive David White said. "And ultimately the head coach is accountable for the performance of their team, this selection structure reinforces that."
Speaking about Hadlee's involvement, White said: "Sir Richard has a vast experience of selection matters and a close understanding of what makes a good selector. He was a former chairman of selectors, he's undeniably one of our cricketing greats and it's fantastic to have him involved in New Zealand cricket again."
Outgoing general manager national selection, Littlejohn, a former lawn bowls manager for Australia, was one of New Zealand director of cricket John Buchanan's controversial appointments during a turbulent two-year period in New Zealand cricket. He had said earlier that he would not seek renewal of his contract, which runs out in September. Buchanan had also announced today, soon after the news of the new selection process came in, that he will be quitting his job and returning to Australia due to family reasons.
The job of general manager national selection is being advertised. The new appointee's contract will run through to April 30, 2015. The part-time talent scouts' roles will also be advertised.