New Zealand news March 6, 2014

Taylor, Bates sweep New Zealand awards night

ESPNcricinfo staff

Ross Taylor has walked away the big winner from the New Zealand awards night in Auckland. He was awarded the Richard Hadlee medal for 2012-13 and 2013-14 - the award recognised performances over both seasons. Women's captain Suzie Bates also won the women's international payer of the year for both seasons.

Taylor was also named the Test Player of the Year, the ODI Player of the Year and picked up the Redpatch Cup for first-class batting. Fast bowler Tim Southee was given the Winsor Cup for first-class bowling.

Taylor has been in fabulous form of late, scoring three consecutive Test hundreds against West Indies last December and following it with two fifties and two hundreds in the ODIs against India.

"Ross showed with those three centuries against the Windies that he is well on the way to being our greatest-ever batsman," NZC chief executive David White said. "And essentially it set the tone for the summer which ended brilliantly with Test and one day-series victories over one of the best sides in the world - India."

Left-arm quick Mitchell McClenaghan won the Twenty20 Player-of-the-Year title for this season. A special presentation was made in honour of Brendon McCullum, to recognise the 302 he scored against India in Wellington - the highest Test score by a New Zealand batsman.

• dummy4fb on March 11, 2014, 5:20 GMT

Suzie deserves a mention in this article don't you think?? She is awesome

• SixnOutNZ on March 9, 2014, 6:34 GMT

@ Shane Bond I would just like to point out that I stated Cricket Nerd Taylor fanboys would be throwing stats at me like I care wether that pertains to you Bond Im sure you have a label to withhold so I just want to say stats never tell the whole story or would I use stats to prove a point about someone take for example in the recent series against India when Kholi was batting there was a statistic stating that if he scored a century chasing India won every time well he scored a ton and the Black Caps won. Or when someone was stating Taylor was more deserving of the award due to his slips catching giving no recognition to the bowlers at all being a bowler yourself surely you can understand the bowlers are using the ball very well for that to be a stat for Taylor(I remember him dropping a vital early catch against India). Thank god you are the bowling coach cause your attitude is the last thing the very skilled but vulnerable to criticism Black Caps batting side needs. Im done thanks.

• android_user on March 9, 2014, 5:30 GMT

@SixoutNZ You must have mistaken me for one of the Taylor fanatics. Sorry, I am not. Lets speak statistically first. Taylor's averaging above 50 from late 2011. Kane has finally come of age but he's nowhere near as consistent as Rosco. How many times should I repeat his deeds over past 2 years. Had it not been him, we would have been a laughing stock in the world. I am not against Mike Hesson or White or anyone. Hesson has done a great work post Taylorgate. But much depends on Taylor to shoulder the batting. Baz finally had enough and showed what he can do. Let me tell you, in popularity graph Baz is above Rosco in Nz and all around the world. I already said Baz has got the recognition he wanted. He was never public enemy no. 1 as you are saying. I've been following game since 1989 and apart from Andrew Jones, martin Crowe and Mark richardson no one has been more consistent than Rosco. I don't find a reason why you wouldn't want him to get awards. How often you see 40+ average in NZ

• SixnOutNZ on March 8, 2014, 21:48 GMT

@ Shane bond If its all about consistency what about Kane Williamson? Dude I can do this all day. The thing is I dont need everyone else agreeing with me cause I know within myself Taylor didnt deserve those awards. R U 4 Real are you for real? Youre saying that interest and people going to watch cricket here in NZ is bad unless its for Taylor or that the public should pity him and go to watch him as much as Macca so he dosnt get hurt...

• dogandbone on March 8, 2014, 18:33 GMT

@sixoutnz....mate you need to take a chill pill...what you and many forget is that not only is Taylor right up there with the best in the world as a batsman over the last twelve months, he is also the best first slip catcher presently in the world....that alone is huge for the team. One last point. Isnt ironic that NZC cancelled last years awards (no real reason) . The awards would/ should have been held right when the Taylor Affair was going down(,which is probably why they were cancelled) and now I can honestly see why NZC wouldn't have wanted them to go ahead....Taylor would have been presented the same as this year...Test Batsman...ODI Batsman and Hadlee medal...gezz just imagine that happening live on tele...would have been priceless to see the faces of White , Moller , Hesson and co.....could see the stress on their faces this year when Taylor got the nod....Funny how the camera was focused on Hessons face.

• cricfan91185178 on March 8, 2014, 8:36 GMT

@sixnout,the cream always rises to the top..@shane bond well said..

• android_user on March 8, 2014, 5:29 GMT

@SixoutNZ Look out for comments by others. I couldn't have said it better myself. It's all about consistency. Corey sure had an amazing summer but Rosco apart from Eden Park crossed 50 on all occasions after top order failed. The platform was always set for Corey. As for Baz, he was recognised more than Suzie Bates, Rosco and Mitch. How many people came to see Rosco score 3 100's consecutively? But they came for Baz. Isn't the sort of recognition he wants? Your ideology is completely different from him, I say. He's a team man whereas it seems, you are acting like a fanatic. Rosco ain't selfish, as Kiwicricketnut mentioned, he set the tone or standards for Kane, Baz, Corey and others. Not sure why all the hatred for him.

• SameOld on March 8, 2014, 1:11 GMT

@kiwicricketnut: Fair comment, but I disagree. There's a case to be made for Baz, but Rossco just churned the runs out, and set the standard for KW, Baz and the others to follow. Not to take anything away from Baz, but he was a bit lucky at times (dropped catches and such), where some of Taylor's innings were chanceless. Baz had half an amazing Summer (the 2nd half), Taylor's entire Summer was amazing. That's the difference, IMO.

• StevieS on March 7, 2014, 21:33 GMT

SixnOutNZ or should I say Mr McCullum? Do You seriously think McCullum is a better batsman than Taylor. It's all about consistancy, Taylor has it McCullum is dreadful.

• SixnOutNZ on March 7, 2014, 20:47 GMT

@ Shane Bond Hey bro I liked you when you were playing untill the piss cut your career short I also like what you're doing with Southee. I just think that scoring NZs highest score ever deserves some sort of recognition also you guys give the ODI award to Taylor after Cory Anderson scores the WORLDS fastest ODI century I feel that at least deserves some attention(the IPL agrees) I have nothing against Taylor I just think he is undeserving of the lime light.

• No featured comments at the moment.