New Zealand news

Traffic flyover threatens Basin Reserve

ESPNcricinfo staff

May 5, 2014

Comments: 6 | Text size: A | A

The scene over the Basin Reserve on the opening day, New Zealand v England, 2nd Test, Wellington, 1st day, March 14, 2013
The Basin Reserve's international future could be under threat from a proposed traffic flyover, former players fear © Getty Images
Enlarge

A proposed traffic flyover could threaten the international future of the Basin Reserve in Wellington, according to former players.

The New Zealand Transport Agency plans to build a two-lane highway flyover 20 metres north of the ground and while a 12-metre high pavilion would also be constructed to block the flyover from view, small glimpses could still be visible to the sides of the pavilion.

Former chief executive of New Zealand Cricket, Martin Snedden, has voiced his concerns that traffic movement outside the 40-degree area from the batsman's view could still be distracting and potentially dangerous, and that it could lead to players and spectators abandoning the venue.

"A fielder at mid-off is not permitted to wave their arms when a bowler is preparing to deliver a ball, despite that fielder being well outside this 40-degree area," Snedden said. "Cricket balls are very hard. Impact on the human body of a fast-moving cricket ball can cause serious injury and even death. Ewen Chatfield, a former New Zealand Test match player, was nearly killed by being struck in the temple by a ball in a Test match in 1974."

Don Neely, the former Wellington captain and cricket historian, said the sight of moving traffic from the playing surface could do irreparable damage to the Basin Reserve's character and could lead to the end of Test cricket at the ground.

"Spectators could decide to vote with their feet and choose not to come to games," Neely said. "Ultimately, the Basin relies on attracting spectators for its ongoing existence. The Basin Reserve could lose its raison d'etre if cricket should cease to be played there ... nothing would be sadder for Wellington than to see this important historical and cultural symbol become a faded monument to the past."

Sir John Anderson, the former NZC chairman who represented the country on the ICC board for more than a decade, said the flyover could be considered a "major renovation" by the ICC, which would lead to the ground's Test status needing to be reviewed after the completion of the project in 2017.

"The [flyover], without sufficient mitigation, runs a small but very real risk of the ICC status of New Zealand's premier Test match ground being taken away," Anderson said.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Posted by   on (May 6, 2014, 5:42 GMT)

If there ends up being a gap between the stands and traffic remains visible surely it can not be too difficult to block it with sail cloth or something similar? Especially if the alternative is to abandon the ground altogether. . . . I think this is a huge over reaction. Perhaps they are looking for a reason to abandon the Basin, but don't want to say so directly?

Posted by   on (May 6, 2014, 0:55 GMT)

lolz, it is not THE Shane Bond for God's sake. The bowling coach for the Black Caps is not interested in making a cricinfo comment, ye great deluded one. Anyway, scrap the over-pass and get a life Wellington City Council, you have your priorities bum to front. The Basin Reserve is currently a top 3 test venue in the world (ask anyone who has watched a test there)... You just do not mess with that.

Posted by pt_pt on (May 5, 2014, 12:33 GMT)

Need a do a petition in protest for this, this can not be allowed.

Posted by LillianThomson on (May 5, 2014, 11:57 GMT)

Wow, never seen a comment by someone of the stature of Shane Bond before!

Seriously, the Basin is a magnificent ground: I took my son from Australia to watch last year's England Test.

But mitigating the flyover should only be the second priority. The first must be to demolish the unsafe and unusable Museum Stand.

Posted by kiwicricketnut on (May 5, 2014, 9:28 GMT)

i hope they dont do this, i dont know much detail but is there potential for a car to end up in the basin reserve if there is an accident on this flyover? probably not but having to build a grandstand to hide it is the last thing the basin needs, its an iconic site and one of the greatest venues in the world, nobody is ever going to sit in that grandstand the grass banks is where everyone wants to be, it will be soley built to hide the flyover seems a big waste of millions of dollars just so the council can be seen to be trying to ease some traffic congestion, its just got lemon written all over it with the potential to ruien something great for wellington city.

Posted by   on (May 5, 2014, 9:10 GMT)

Although the traffic over there in Wellington is crap but is it feasible that we destroy our best cricket ground (and the most historic)? I think not.

Comments have now been closed for this article

TopTop
Email Feedback Print
Share
E-mail
Feedback
Print
ESPNcricinfo staffClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
Surrey v NZ A at The Oval
Aug 31-Sep 2, 2014 (11:00 local | 10:00 GMT | 06:00 EDT | 05:00 CDT | 03:00 PDT)
1st ODI: WI Women v NZ Women at Basseterre
Sep 12, 2014 (09:30 local | 13:30 GMT | 09:30 EDT | 08:30 CDT | 06:30 PDT)
1st Match, Qualifying Group: Northern D v Express at Raipur
Sep 13, 2014 (16:00 local | 10:30 GMT | 06:30 EDT | 05:30 CDT | 03:30 PDT)
3rd Match, Qualifying Group: Northern D v Lahore Lions at Raipur
Sep 14, 2014 (16:00 local | 10:30 GMT | 06:30 EDT | 05:30 CDT | 03:30 PDT)
2nd ODI: WI Women v NZ Women at Basseterre
Sep 14, 2014 (09:30 local | 13:30 GMT | 09:30 EDT | 08:30 CDT | 06:30 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »
News | Features Last 3 days
News | Features Last 3 days