New Zealand news July 10, 2014

Test openers cut from New Zealand contract list

ESPNcricinfo staff

New Zealand's Test openers for most of the past year, Hamish Rutherford and Peter Fulton, have both been axed from the central contract list for 2014-15. Fast bowler Doug Bracewell, allrounder Grant Elliott, spinner Bruce Martin and batsman Dean Brownlie have also lost their contracts, with New Zealand's selectors making six changes to the 20-man group.

Spinners Mark Craig and Ish Sodhi earned deals, along with fast bowlers Matt Henry and Adam Milne, as well as wicketkeeper Luke Ronchi and, not surprisingly, the allrounder Jimmy Neesham, who has made two centuries from his first four Tests. New Zealand's general manager of national selection, Bruce Edgar, said the newer players had all earned their places on the list.

"We've had a very strong summer followed by the Test series victory in the West Indies where a number of younger players put their hands up for consideration," Edgar said. "Two of those integral to the series win in the West Indies were spinners Ish Sodhi and Mark Craig. While we accept that Mark and Ish are by no means the finished product, they are promising bowlers that we want to invest time in."

"Adam and Matt are two exciting young bowlers that if we manage well have got a big future in all forms of the game. Jimmy and Luke are both consistent members of our shorter-form teams and they've recently been selected in our Test squad as well."

The presence of only one specialist Test opener, Tom Latham, was an indication that uncertainty remains as to who will take those positions over the coming year. Rutherford was cut after making 322 runs at 21.46 over the past year, while Fulton struggled just as much and managed only 270 runs at 19.28.

"There'll be plenty of opportunities for the openers and others with domestic contracts to put their hand up on both the New Zealand A tour to England later this month and throughout the season in the domestic competitions," Edgar said.

A set criteria is used to rank players across all three forms of the game, with Test cricket receiving twice the weighting of ODI and T20 cricket. The players with the 20 highest aggregate scores are then offered contracts.

Daniel Vettori was not included in the contract list after turning down a deal last year due to his ongoing injury problems. Vettori has not played for New Zealand since June last year, but there are hopes that he will be able to take part in the World Cup next year.

"He's working pretty hard," Edgar said. "I hear he's pretty fit. It's just a matter of form and we would look seriously at him if we know he's available."

Bracewell and Jesse Ryder, both with a history of disciplinary issues, had run into trouble again this February for staying out late at an Auckland bar on the eve of the first Test against India. Edgar said that Bracewell, who had also suffered a broken foot at that time, was "doing everything right as far as we are concerned at the moment."

Ryder had been considered for selection earlier this year, Edgar said. "At the time, we decided that his preparation wasn't up to the standard that we required. To this stage, it's still the same. It doesn't discount him from selection at some future point."

While Bracewell has not played since January, Ryder is currently doing duty for Essex in county cricket, where he has scored 317 runs for the season at an average of 31.70.

Contract list Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, Mark Craig, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Mitchell McClenaghan, Brendon McCullum, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Adam Milne, Colin Munro, Jimmy Neesham, Luke Ronchi, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Neil Wagner, BJ Watling, Kane Williamson.

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • cricfan91185178 on July 12, 2014, 3:13 GMT

    @bond, agree him a match fee and move on.give the contract to a young up in comer who is in the mix for all formats..time to move on, hes hard to hide in the feild.

  • dummy4fb on July 11, 2014, 7:01 GMT

    Jeet Raval didn't have the greatest FC but I think he deserves a shot. Has a solid technique and would fit in well with this team. If it doesn't work we can give Guptil another shot. Should stay away from Bracewell at the moment, the NZ team is making good strides but runs the risk of becoming to young. Theres enough stability in the rest of the team to experiment and search for the right opening option, presuming Latham continues his success which I am confident of.

  • anver777 on July 11, 2014, 6:28 GMT

    The list is full of talented all rounders & its a good build up for WC 2015 !!!! a good job done by NZ board !!!!

  • SameOld on July 11, 2014, 4:58 GMT

    This actually comes as a bit of a surprise. The team leadership has stuck with these two for so long now that I was starting to think particularly Rutherford was undroppable.

    Now the question becomes whether they muck about with Neesh at the top, go back to Guppy, or somebody else gets a shot. Whichever way they go, Pakistan's attack will be a tough first assignment.

  • Min2000 on July 11, 2014, 0:31 GMT

    This is the best squad I've seen in years. The only mistake is cutting Rutherford. I like Munro, he's a match winner on his day but I cant see him playing more than a handful of T20s and ODIs over the next 12 months. So do we really need to contract him at the expense of a test opener who just needs some form?

  • 22many on July 10, 2014, 19:50 GMT

    @shanebond....I don't think anyone is saying drop Mills from the ODI team....but giving him a contract when you only see him for a few games every year...he is not the future so if he is good enough to play, pay him well for each game he plays.

  • dummy4fb on July 10, 2014, 19:02 GMT

    NZ performance for the last year or so has been admirable. They have a strong bowling attack and very decent batsmen in Taylor and Williamson. Good openers could make them a top side in world cricket. Craig was impressive in the West Indies and he further strengthens the spin attack. It's a bit early to be sure of his abilities, though.

  • CricketChat on July 10, 2014, 16:35 GMT

    Commendable job by NZ board. Ryder'a exclusion is a clear message to rest of NZ aspirants that they are expected to be disciplined as well perform.

  • BlakeHoulihan on July 10, 2014, 15:27 GMT

    I've never seen such a solid contract list. There's usually three or four questionable inclusions, but I feel everyone deserves their spot. The selection committee are finally on the right track. Very happy indeed.

  • HairyKiore on July 10, 2014, 13:56 GMT

    Who cares..its meaningless...Munro is doing nothing in County cricket...Jessie is performing but is exiled...Rutherford is just having a bad run but deserves to be contracted across all three forms of the game ... as for bowling ?? didn't the selectors see a young bowler from Winton playing for Otago in the HRV cup ..if not ring Styris and get an opinion???...As for Milne ..he will soon succomb to the terrible NZ crickets fitness training program as will others ...then just as I was starting to believe in Hessen etc they try to invent an opener from a lower order batsmen and even Latham with his good start has still not proven to me that he will succeed as an opener...Hk

  • No featured comments at the moment.