County news

Hales given IPL green light

ESPNcricinfo staff

November 4, 2013

Hopps: Hales wins IPL battle with Notts

England batsman Alex Hales has been cleared to play in the Indian Premier League after extending his contract with Nottinghamshire until 2016. According to the new deal, Hales will be granted time off to play in the next three seasons of the IPL, which clashes with the first few weeks of the county season, subject to him securing a contract in excess of $400,000 per year.

Hales, who has played 21 T20 internationals, is currently the top-ranked batsman in the ICC T20 rankings. Samit Patel has also been granted permission to enter the auctions next year and will be given a similar exemption if he also secures a top-bracket deal.

Hales expressed his happiness on reaching the agreement and said he was looking forward to the three T20s against Australia after the Ashes. "I'm pleased to have come to an agreement with Notts because I want to spend my entire career here and I hope that will happen now that I've been given the opportunity to enter the auction," he said.

"I'm not aware of specific interest from any given IPL franchise but I'm focused on performing well in the Big Bash because there are a lot of eyes on that tournament. I'm hoping to be involved in the Twenty20 matches between England and Australia which I hope can give me a platform to demonstrate my skills and stir interest from IPL teams."

Alex Hales swings the ball to leg during his 82 from 52 balls, Nottinghamshire v Lancashire, FLt20 North Group, Trent Bridge, July 28, 2013
Alex Hales is the top-ranked batsman in the ICC T20 rankings © PA Photos

Hales also said he considered focusing only on T20s after struggling for form in the County Championship this year. "Last season was tough for me because I was sky high in two formats and at rock bottom with the red ball," he said. "It did cross my mind to go freelance and focus on Twenty20 full time but I've had time to think and I'm still driven to do well in four-day cricket and to break into England's one-day set-up."

Nottinghamshire's director of cricket, Mick Newell, said it was important for them to strike a balance between Hales' opportunity to earn a substantial amount of money and the team's needs. "We were very keen to secure an extended commitment from Alex, he was understandably keen to enter the IPL auction and there was a mutual will to find a compromise that we could all live with," Newell said.

"It's hard for us to deny an individual the opportunity to earn life-changing amounts of money but the team also has to be considered so it made sense to allow him to enter the auction to see if there is sufficient interest in his services to secure a high-value contract."

Hales will depart for Australia early next month for a stint with Adelaide Strikers in the BBL. Nottinghamshire hope to sign an established batsman as cover for Hales for the opening weeks of the domestic season, while discussions with Michael Lumb, Hales' England opening partner in T20 and another who has expressed ambitions to play in the IPL again, are ongoing.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 7, 2013, 19:19 GMT)

@ SirViv1973 on (November 6, 2013, 22:13 GMT) I think Jos himself would love the megabucks and fame he might get from IPL but I'm not sure how many WK batsmen positions are available and also it will kind of contradict what he said about playing for Eng being the most important thing - esp if he plays as an outfielder Personally - esp now as it wouldn't be Somerset losing his services - I think now would be an ideal time for him to go as he will get invaulable experience over there and he's not ready for England in the longer form yet - and if he gets into that position it's unlikely it'll be next summer. Jos should be a big part of Eng's SF plans and I think next year would be an ideal time for him to do IPL

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 3:11 GMT)

Though Hales is a showstopper in the T20 format, I dont see many takers for him in next year's auction unless we have a replacement team for Pune. Lots of players will be back in the auction pool and given Hales's limited IPL experience if any, he might not be preferred over the likes of Steven Smith and Luke Wright.

I would love to see Hales open for Kings XI Punjab filling in for Adam Gilchrist. I feel thats the only team which desperately needs a world class opener with the current team set up.

Rajasthan can use him instead of Rahul Dravid as well. Mumbai may have Rohit move up to open with Dwayne Smith. Chennai have the Big Huss :) - all viable only if the current players are not lost to the auction.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (November 6, 2013, 22:13 GMT)

@JG, I agree that Butler has what it takes to be a big success in the IPL & I think he would be of interest to certain franchises. However I don't think he will be interested in the IPL at this stage of his career. I think the move to Lancs shows that he has serious aspirations to challenge Prior for the keeper.batsman role in the test side. To do this he needs to be playing FC cricket and improving his batting & keeping.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 6, 2013, 20:01 GMT)

@Dark_Harlequin on (November 6, 2013, 15:32 GMT) Not sure if Hales will even sell. It's one of those where he could go for silly money or could even go unsold - due to maybe unfamiliarity to IPL franchises etc.

The only problem I could foresee for Notts is if one of their key CC wants to go to the IPL. I guess that's why they've put the high base price down so that the likelihood is slim (unlike the man himself) if say Patel wanted to go and an IPL franchise met the asking price Notts would be well compensated

Posted by AKS286 on (November 6, 2013, 19:28 GMT)

I think Hales needs a good coach who will encourage him to become the Opening KP. If Hales has a wish to play tests for ENG, they kindly play 1 or 2 seasons of IPL. He is like young Watson, KP. Punter encourages Watto.ECB Just take care of your World class talent Hales otherwise POMS will loss a talent.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 6, 2013, 16:34 GMT)

@Dark_Harlequin on (November 6, 2013, 15:32 GMT) Pretty much agree with you although I'm not sure he will go for alot despite his record. I mean he could go for silly money but he may also go unsold - due ti him maybe not being that familiar to Indian fans. The one problem (if it is a problem) I see is that while Hales is no great loss to the Notts CC team , what happens if a player Notts consider key to their CC plans wants to go? I suppose they have to let any player who has an interest put his name forward or it'll cause loads of resentment issues. Maybe they've thought this through and put a base price of 400k down for anyone who wants to go , knowing that the likelihood of them being picked up is remote and if they are picked up at that price they will be well compensated

Posted by Optic on (November 6, 2013, 16:32 GMT)

@JG2704 I think the difference between Swann & Hales circumstances is Hales will be able to play the whole IPL, Swann was only ever able to play part of it. Still agree though that it surprised me he never got picked up even for half the IPL, he's an excellent T20 bowler.

Posted by Harlequin. on (November 6, 2013, 15:32 GMT)

This is probably win-win for Notts and Hales. If picked, Hales can make a bit of pocket money Notts will take a slice of that to pay for a seasoned pro for the red ball games which Hales has been useless at anyway!

I reckon he will go for a lot. The BCCI will make sure of that, because if Hales goes for a lot then there is more incentive for other English players to put their names forward in future seasons.

Posted by   on (November 6, 2013, 14:09 GMT)

Hales should be sold to DD or KXIP.

Posted by   on (November 6, 2013, 14:05 GMT)

Luck will be there with all the teams in the auction.AD Hales is like gold for any team.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 5, 2013, 18:42 GMT)

@SC13159 on (November 5, 2013, 14:25 GMT) It's a strange one. IPL franchises seem to value a big hitting batsman far more than a tight bowler.

I think Swann went unsold at 200k a few years ago and I think I'd prefer Swann to Hales at the same price - definitely at half the price. Not sure what Hales record is like in India/against India. 200k is probably a morerealistic price for an IPL debutant but it'll be interesting to see if he gets any takers.

Does it mean that it's 400k or he goes unsold or does it mean that a team could buy him for less but maybe with provisions?

Posted by Cricketfan11111 on (November 5, 2013, 14:25 GMT)

I don't think $400,000 base price is too high for Hales. It is a grand auction next year and other than the 4 retained players and their salary, the franchises will have all the money to spend on players. Hales being the No1 T20I ranked player, few franchises will be definitely competing to get him.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 5, 2013, 12:21 GMT)

@ BRUTALANALYST on (November 5, 2013, 10:40 GMT) No he hasn't played T20 cricket for England and while it's a different format , ODIs is the nearest format to it. I was really excited about KP and MC opening after watching the 2 accumulators for the last year. Both MC and KP disappointed me immensely and played like Bell and Cook but without actually building a platform. Sorry but IPL franchises are going to judge a player by what they see of him and if they only saw MC in the ODIs for England then they won't be rushing to get him in their side. If you didn't know MC from Adam and all you saw of him was his few ODIs for Eng would you sign him from those performances?

Posted by Whatsgoinoffoutthere on (November 5, 2013, 10:55 GMT)

I'd prefer to see Hales pushing for a place as England's ODI opener. Cook and Bell together are generally too pedestrian for anywhere except early season England.

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (November 5, 2013, 10:40 GMT)

@JG2704 He hasn't played an International T20 yet so I don't know what you're talking about there are 3 formats of the game and you should judge them separately as they're completely different with a whole bunch of different circumstances and settings. How could anyone that watched English T20 not want to see Carberry or Kiesweeter get shot in the IPl they kill it consistently Carberry last 2 seasons has been the standout T20 batsman !

Posted by JG2704 on (November 5, 2013, 9:54 GMT)

Must confess that I didn't read the article properly at first.

So does this mean that Hales puts himself in at a base price of 400k and if he sells he goes and if he doesn't sell he stays in Eng or does he put himself in at a lower base price and then him/the franchise sort out the details after?

He certainly has a superb international T20 record but how much of that has been played in/vs India? I thing that may go against him in attracting a decent base price although he is a big hitting batsman amd BHB seem to attract bigger bucks that steady bowlers

Posted by JG2704 on (November 5, 2013, 9:54 GMT)

@ BRUTALANALYST on (November 4, 2013, 22:15 GMT) Carberry has been great at domestic level but when he played for England he was very dull/laboured/cautious. Indian IPL franchises will not be sold by that

Posted by JG2704 on (November 5, 2013, 9:53 GMT)

@ Cpt.Meanster on (November 5, 2013, 3:16 GMT) And there was I thinking you were starting to write with a little balance/knowledge. 1 - If a player from Eng or anywhere didn't stick to their contracts the powerful IPL franchises would follow up legally 2 - Getting injured is part and parcel of the sport. The 2 English players (please let me know if there are others) they picked who pulled out through injury are Broad and KP. Both have been injury prone in recent seasons and IPL franchises (if they've done their homework) will know this 3 - Players who have ECB contracts will not even be put forward for the auction if the ECB object to one of their contracted players doing IPL they won't even be in the auction. And the IPL franchises will know exactly what the score is re clauses of a player being recalled etc and BTW Hales is not centrally contracted

Posted by JG2704 on (November 5, 2013, 9:34 GMT)

Must confess that I didn't read the article properly at first.

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (November 5, 2013, 9:34 GMT)

I'd like to see English batsman like Carberry Kieswetter with all rounders Trego Napier Willey and bowlers Azharullah Arafat and Thomas all get shots in the next IPL they're all deadly consistent T20 players ! I think Hales asking for 400k upfront will rub Indians wrong way and likely shun him I guess he will have to go crazy in Big Bash so a couple sides fight over him but remember Indian surface is very different. Carberry and Kieswetter would probably fare better as they have superior footwork and play spin better would love to see all 3 though.

Posted by lankymanky on (November 5, 2013, 8:33 GMT)

I too think the $400k is a rather high minimum for someone who has only a small amount of experience in subcontinent conditions and the fact English players already have a poor record at even getting selected for ipl teams, never mind actually playing for them. Yes he is no1 in the world and can be a very destructive player and could be a star of the ipl but is a team going to risk that amount on him when there will be plenty more safer and probably cheaper options available. I actually feel Samit Patel could be a better option as has plenty of experience of being England's second spinner in these conditions and also has every shot in the book even if he is a liability in the field. Hales should focus on setting the big bash on fire first which suits his game better I feel.

Posted by   on (November 5, 2013, 6:21 GMT)

I want to ask ipl that how many player can be retained in next ipl

Posted by satishchandar on (November 5, 2013, 4:34 GMT)

Hales is a pretty good slogger.. He can score 15 ball 40 and on his day, a 40 ball 85 too.. If i own a IPL team, i would bid for this guy.. Not very sure about Samit though.. Would be a lot tougher for Samit to get into a IPL team..

Posted by Lmaotsetung on (November 5, 2013, 4:21 GMT)

*YAWN*...what's the big deal about a cricketer getting a chance to play in the IPL? He'll be lucky to get a $100k bid from a clueless IPL franchise. He needs a $400k bid to play in the IPL...nothing to see here, he won't get that high a bid so at the end of the day much ado about nothing!

Posted by Lmaotsetung on (November 5, 2013, 4:16 GMT)

@ Cpt.Meanster - again commenting on something you know little about. Hales DOES NOT have a central contract. Therefore the ECB has no say in what he can and cannot do. Only his county (Nottinghamshire) can tell him what when where how he can play or cannot play!

Posted by   on (November 5, 2013, 4:10 GMT)

he will be million dollar man of ipl.hope he will fill the slot of sachin in mi

Posted by   on (November 5, 2013, 3:58 GMT)

Hales is the #1 batsman, he did well in India and will add value to the tourney unlike Broad or Swann (both great Test players). $400k looks right. Hope he gets a good deal and plays IPL7 which may take place in SA, since Elections are in 2014.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (November 5, 2013, 3:16 GMT)

He should be given a contract cause he's talented. But the problem with Englishmen is that they DON'T stick to their contractual agreement. They either get injured OR the ECB don't allow them to play in the IPL. I would be surprised if ANY team bid for him in the upcoming auction.

Posted by class9ryan on (November 5, 2013, 1:11 GMT)

There are quite a few Englishmen more than deserving to get into the IPL. The teams which have greentops and flatbeds in their home ground lke KXIP, RR, CSK, RCB, MI, DD will love adding a few Englishmen. The tests will be starting a month later than the usual so there isn't a problem either for people like swann, prior, broad.

Posted by jonesy2isaBigot on (November 5, 2013, 0:40 GMT)

Hmmm, we all know he is good in this format. But will he get the required salary to achieve this? Back at Notts I think it would be an idea he bats at four in long form one day and four day cricket, both for the club and his best chance of making it for England in the longer formats.

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (November 4, 2013, 22:15 GMT)

Carberry has been the best T20 batsman in England's T20 the last couple of yrs followed by Kieswetter would be good to see all 3 of these guys make IPL appearances.

Posted by rohanblue on (November 4, 2013, 21:48 GMT)

i hope he plays fr kkr, he is a great t20 player...........

Posted by VVSR92 on (November 4, 2013, 20:43 GMT)

This conditional permission does not help hales and teams looking to secure him. Suppose hales is part of a team's plans as their key batsmen. And if he is secured by that team less than $400,000. The team feel that they have got their batsmen and does not necessarily compete for other batsmen in auction. If Notts do not give him permission to play, it would severely dent the plans of the franchise that acquired him.

Only way to clear up confusion for teams to have him in his plans is for hales to set his base price as $400,000. That way if he is sold he plays, rather than getting sold & not playing creating chaos.

Samit patel would most likely be playing for Notts as he is unlikely to be get picked up by a side due to 4 overseas player rule.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 4, 2013, 20:28 GMT)

This is a good move. Hales CC form last year was not good so Notts will not lose a prolific CC batsman and it will give him experience which may improve him further for both Notts and Eng in shorter formats

I'd like to see Jos play IPL too. He could really light up the tournament if he gets going. Also now he's no longer a Somerset player we won't be losing his services

Posted by   on (November 4, 2013, 20:28 GMT)

Such a shame that a promising player is contemplating giving up the onger format because of one disatrous season. He was a liability for us in the CC last year but it would be very sad if he were to be solely a t20/one-day player for the rest of his career. Samit Patel would be a huge loss to Notts if he were to miss parts of the county season. He might never progress beyond the fringes of England teams, but he's a very valuable and reliable first-class and list-A performer.

Posted by Lets_Bash_Indians on (November 4, 2013, 20:26 GMT)

Lol now where is ECB's Hate of IPL,,,

Posted by Haz95 on (November 4, 2013, 20:09 GMT)

Credit to Hales, he's a good batsmen in his respective way. However to become a good batsmen, one must play well in the true format with the red ball, yep test cricket. Joining IPL[an absolute knockoff of so called 'cricket'] will I believe hinder his chances.

Posted by CodandChips on (November 4, 2013, 19:13 GMT)

@AKS286- his first class cricket was poor this year and ended up in Notts 2nd team. Glad for him if he can get a contract because it will help develop his game. It's not as if he needs to be here preparing to be in the test side so I hope if he does go he gets a long stint. Wouldn't mind if the likes of Wright, Lumb and Dernbach tried to get a contract as they won't play tests either.

Samit Patel will not be offered a contract if he goes. He just simply is not good enough.

Posted by   on (November 4, 2013, 18:38 GMT)

Great Thing by Notts.. Players like him deserve a chance to play in IPL and he is no. 1 in ICC T20I rankings.

Posted by AKS286 on (November 4, 2013, 18:25 GMT)

Hales is a Talent simple.He deserves permanent place in Tests, Odis & T20.

Posted by   on (November 4, 2013, 18:14 GMT)

hales to SRH..............

Posted by   on (November 4, 2013, 18:10 GMT)

AD Hales, KP, LJ Wright, EJG Morgan, MJ Lumb, and some fast bowlers like Broad will get contracts. Hope SRH will get AD Hales. Sikhar Dhawan and Hales are more dangerous than Gayle and other opener.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (November 4, 2013, 17:47 GMT)

Hales has shown at International level what he is capable of in the T20 format. I'm sure there will be signifcant intrest from a number of franchises.

Posted by   on (November 4, 2013, 17:42 GMT)

CSK has enough strength. Their reserve players are good too. If there's any team that needs an explosive batsman is KKR. Hope he play for KKR.

Posted by Cricketfan11111 on (November 4, 2013, 17:21 GMT)

Welcome back English men to IPL. Hope CSK gets hales. All the best.

Posted by CricketChat on (November 4, 2013, 17:10 GMT)

Good for Hales for joining the party! Hopefully, Pak players will also join for the next year's IPL circus. Akmal brothers along with their talented bowlers will add lot of spice if they are given a chance to participate.

ESPNcricinfo staffClose
Team Fixtures Team Results
v Warwickshire at Nottingham
Apr 27-30, 2014 (11:00 local | 10:00 GMT | 06:00 EDT | 05:00 CDT | 03:00 PDT)
v Somerset at Taunton
May 4-7, 2014 (11:00 local | 10:00 GMT | 06:00 EDT | 05:00 CDT | 03:00 PDT)
v Northants at Nottingham
May 11-14, 2014 (11:00 local | 10:00 GMT | 06:00 EDT | 05:00 CDT | 03:00 PDT)
North Division v Lancashire at Nottingham
May 16, 2014 (18:30 local | 17:30 GMT | 13:30 EDT | 12:30 CDT | 10:30 PDT)
North Division v Worcs at Nottingham
May 23, 2014 (18:00 local | 17:00 GMT | 13:00 EDT | 12:00 CDT | 10:00 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »