Fan Following

First-person reports from the stands

New Zealand v Pakistan, second Test, Wellington, fifth day

Confessions of an unconscious mind

A fan so dedicated to watching the Test she passed out because of the heat. Or maybe it was the dull cricket...

Trish Plunket

Pakistan celebrate their first Test series win outside the subcontinent in seven years, New Zealand v Pakistan, 2nd Test, Wellington, 5th day, January 19, 2011
The Pakistan players look satisfied at having their done the job of plunging the spectators to the depths of boredom © Getty Images

Choice of game
I'd been there for four bloody days, I wasn't going to leave now!

A confession
Okay, maybe I didn't watch all day there. The sun was hot, and after four days of wind, sunburn, sticky heat, rain, great cricket, average cricket, and the beating sun, I passed out in the bathrooms during the second session. This is a lot less rock and roll than it sounds. Our heroes, the paramedics, came and pronounced me as "too hot" and "too horizontal" and after some discussion as to whether hospital was in our mutual best interests (they said yes, I said HELL NO!) sent me home to watch the last session from the couch.

Key performer
Daniel Vettori. In that he bowled all day and didn't get any wickets. Didn't seem to like Kane Williamson at all. For some reason he had the first two overs with the new ball bowled by himself and Brent Arnel, the least threatening of the four quicks. Maybe he was addled by the heat too.

One thing I'd have changed
Apart from staying fully conscious, the last session. Even from my couch it looked dull. I got reports from the ground saying that watching the pickets spontaneously fall off the fence was the most exciting thing to happen. It would have been great for Pakistan to throw themselves at the total, have a real go, and maybe make themselves a bit vulnerable to getting out. You know, actually have a competition.

The interplay I enjoyed the most

Wow moment
Tim Southee's first wicket. Wow, we were sure it was going to be a great day! Depressingly, it all went downhill from there.

Player watch
We got a lot of the bowlers at fine leg, being amusingly lanky in their fielding efforts and signing autographs for the kids. All together now… Aww.

Crowd meter
It was a great crowd as Wellingtonians came out for the last of their holidays and sat on the boundary and in the old stand. There were lots of picnickers on the bank and kids roaming around - and they were cheerful and well-behaved. Can't beat Wellington on a good day.

Food meter
Fail, Basin retailers, fail. We went from the weekend where there was the likes of a mobile deli and a delicious delicious curry vendor, to one caravan selling chips and battered hotdogs. Want a sammich? Sorry, you're out of luck.

Tests v limited-overs
Ah, well, yes. While I get five days in the sun not confined to a plastic seat, I sit for five days in the sun until I fall over. I'm a redhead. I was never meant to see the sun. A day-nighter will be a bit of a relief.

Accessories
Macintoshs! We did not offer them to Tim McIntosh. But we really wanted to. I don't think that makes us bad people, merely lovers of bad puns and yummy toffee.

Oh, and I got a Test shirt from my family, so I was kitted out in style.

Overall
Not my best day watching cricket, it must be said. But I now have a cracking tan, and an even more cracking headache. It was such a pity neither team could get up and win the game, and that it petered out into the averageness that has plagued the whole Test.

A word to fans of following
I'm really stoked how many people like these fan following reports. It makes me feel all shiny. But if you like them, please leave a comment down the bottom of the page. Please DON'T message me on Facebook, unless you want to offer me money to write things. (I'm good to exchange writing for cash.) It's getting a little weird, and my mum always told me not to talk to strangers.

Want to do a Fan Following report? Read our FAQ here

Trish Plunket is a descendant of the guy who named the Plunket Shield. This affords her no special privileges whatsoever. She lives, plays and works (when closely supervised) in Wellington, New Zealand. When not supporting cricket teams who specialise in top-order collapses she studies psychology and writing, referees rugby union, and tries to convince people to employ her.

Tell us what you think. Send us your feedback

Comments: 25
Posted by   on (January 21, 2011, 9:48 GMT)

In a war there is not situation of draw. This clean sweep cud giv u the strenght, energy and confidence but the serious draw will keep their confidance shake throught for ODI serious as well. Fighters are not afraid of die even. Loosers

Posted by   on (January 21, 2011, 1:41 GMT)

misba can you played for pakistan not for your self. please.

Posted by dazzler11 on (January 20, 2011, 16:12 GMT)

it was good on the part of Pakistan but they should have managed clean sweep, hope to see form of team continues in the Odis.

Posted by   on (January 20, 2011, 5:03 GMT)

The interplay I enjoyed the most One thing you get at home is close-ups - in this case, close-ups of Jesse Ryder cheerfully chatting away to the Pakistani batsmen. I'd like to think Jesse was offering advice on the sightseeing opportunities for the next few days in Wellington, rather than questioning anyone's parentage.

u so funny boy, I like what I read..

Posted by   on (January 20, 2011, 3:38 GMT)

I think it wasn't just the Sun and the NewZealanders in the ground - there was a AWAY team there as well

Posted by Deenesh on (January 20, 2011, 0:21 GMT)

tries to convince people to employ her lmao. Very talented writer, u shud give a report on a big game, like with teams not prone to top order collapses and listless bowling :)

Posted by   on (January 19, 2011, 23:30 GMT)

Several comments: 1. Funny article, definitely more humor than bitterness, unlike what somebody noted; for what its worth (which is nothing) if I had any to spare, I would pay you money to write. 2. I think first comment missed the point you were trying to make by picking Vettori as "key" performer. 3. Deep down, I think Pakistan did the right thing, but nevertheless kept hoping they would go for it! 4. "When not supporting cricket teams who specialize in top order collapses, she studies..." I see you are fan of both New Zealand and Pakistan cricket. No wonder you were there (nearly) the whole time.

Posted by   on (January 19, 2011, 21:08 GMT)

Well written article but I am wondering about the sun in New Zealand and that too in January, seems strange...!!!

Posted by rameaze on (January 19, 2011, 20:50 GMT)

Its is somthing wrong with me? I think the camera that was covering the presentation cermoney deliberately did not show the pakistan captain receiving the winning trophy from the sponsor.

Also notice a funny Incident when in Australia when Kawaja made it debut, it is normal for the camera to focus on the incoming batsman, and more inportantly whne some one is making their debut, howver when Kawaja was walking out to bat the camera did not show it until he finish taking gard and facing his first ball!

Did anyone notice this?

Posted by dammitt on (January 19, 2011, 20:36 GMT)

Pakistant need 65 with 10 overs remaining (turned out to be 12 overs when they played 92), with 6 wickets in hand. They almost couldn't lose, they could only win or draw. What was the harm in going for it? It was such negative playing. I don't care for 'going for the series win'. Go for it in emphatic style, take some momentum into the ODI series. I can understand the writer being bored, I was tearing out my hear at home in frustration.

Posted by   on (January 19, 2011, 20:09 GMT)

Nicely written. I wish I could also watch an international team play in Pakistan. I myself watched the last day from 3AM to 10AM and till the last 10 overs i was thinking Pakistan might still go after the target. Nevertheless, a close encounter between two evenly matched sides. And of course a day and nighter will also be welcomed in Pakistan as it will start at around 6 in the morning and we can atleast get some sleep.

Posted by Nuur on (January 19, 2011, 18:22 GMT)

There was clearly bitterness more than humor. Any person who 'understands' cricket would not credit New Zealand this much. Muhammmad Hafeez turned the ball miles on fourth day but Vettori couldn't do it on the fifth. There was wind and wicket had movement off the pitch, Its just that NZ bowlers lacked the skill.

The umpiring decisions went against Pakistan at the wrong time. If Younis wasnt given out NZ wouldve been shut out of the game with an innings to go. If Shafiq wasnt given out today, Pakistan wouldve won comfortably. Pakistan outplayed and dominated NZ throughout the series. NZ didnt deserve to square the series and thankfully they didnt.

One day series would be compelling and evenly fought, I think.

Posted by   on (January 19, 2011, 18:05 GMT)

Aww, shame you couldn't last the 5 days Trish! But I assume by 'cracking tan' you mean 'an attractive shade of salmon'.

Well done though, certainly makes for better reading than the match reports :p

Posted by truth1 on (January 19, 2011, 17:51 GMT)

Danny boy has been a great player to his team and opponents. He shouldn't quit as a captain.His knocks of centuries in crisis to pull team out of trouble have been a treat to watch. please take your decision back.

Posted by   on (January 19, 2011, 17:22 GMT)

Nicely written.. i hope to see your take on coming one-dayers too.. Just wanna confirm whether you can write as good as above, without "passing out" once ;-P keep it up..!!

Posted by haroonalvi on (January 19, 2011, 16:43 GMT)

A lady following cricket matches sounds a bit weird, but your report sure gives a fresh new perspective to cricket matches. The part of Man-Love in your previous article was the pick of your articles. I could never have imagined such a perspective on a cricket match. But having said that, your a lady, so...........forgiven :p

Posted by ShahroseKhan on (January 19, 2011, 16:42 GMT)

what? only 5 comments? I only feel like writing when I know I'm likely to be read :P

I was expecting Misbah to give the green light to the batsmen at the other end when there were 15 overs remaining... but he didn't... I thought maybe he wanted last 10 over.... nope... last 5? not even the very last over of the day :s I guess Younis Khan was his last triumph card and so Misbah had decided to go for a draw way earlier in the day? but ok, it's understandable that he wanted to make sure we won the series, but COME ON, are you really going to give up on the chance of winning 2 tests in a row? I'm very disappointed and see the draw as a loss.

BUT - no one can blame Misbah for anything. He is the captain, and he can adopt any strategy that he wants. Winning a series in years was good enough to him and he didn't have hunger for more glory so well... what can we do. There's a reason why he's making the decisions out there and not us.

Can I employ you for the vacancy of a friend's role :D

Posted by Something_Witty on (January 19, 2011, 15:31 GMT)

Sticky heat? In NEW ZEALAND? Impossible my good sir!

Posted by   on (January 19, 2011, 15:04 GMT)

Great article :) Had fun reading it :P That surely made me laugh :P

Posted by   on (January 19, 2011, 13:46 GMT)

Nice :)

always enjoyed reading your report !

Posted by   on (January 19, 2011, 11:51 GMT)

great writing with witty humour and also when female interested in cricket watch all five days thats amazing....hope we will get some fan following report from you for 1st ODI on saturday in wellington....

Posted by faisalafsar7 on (January 19, 2011, 11:04 GMT)

very well said Ammar rashid...

Posted by   on (January 19, 2011, 10:40 GMT)

LOLz @ strangers bit :P good effort :)

Posted by   on (January 19, 2011, 10:38 GMT)

Great to see PAKISTAN wins

Love you PAKISTAN n love MISBAH .. May God bless you ever

Adnan Niazi

Posted by   on (January 19, 2011, 10:01 GMT)

Bitter much at the objects of your fangirl fancies losing the series, Trish? In answer to your caption up there, the Pakistani team is looking satisfied at successfully wrapping up a series they dominated throughout even with a hugely understrength side.

Also, key performer: Daniel Vettori? Seriously? For failing to press home the hard-earned advantage the seamers gifted him in the morning? Please.

You're funny, Trish. But don't quit your day job. :P