The chucking controversy November 12, 2006

Shabbir heads back to Australia for further tests



Shabbir Ahmed: set to have his remodelled action tested © Getty Images

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will be sending Shabbir Ahmed to the University of Western Australia for tests on his action before his year-long ban officially ends on December 17. Shabbir was banned from international cricket last year after being reported for a suspect action during the winter series against England.

"Lots of work has been done on his action since that time," Nasim Ashraf, the PCB chairman, told reporters at the Gaddafi Stadium. "On November 21, we will send Shabbir to Australia to Professor Bruce Elliot to have his remodelled action tested."

Shabbir will be filmed bowling in Pakistan first and tapes will be sent to Elliot for analysis. "We will get a report on his action by the first week of December and will hope that he can resume as soon as the ban is lifted," said Ashraf.

Pakistan, already without several frontline bowlers will be keen to ensure he can return as soon as possible. Shabbir, who has taken 51 wickets in ten Tests, has been reported for his action four times in total through his career. Last year, he was also reported after the West Indies series in June and the second report within a year meant he became the first bowler to face a year-long ban under the ICC's new regulations.

Osman Samiuddin is Pakistan editor of Cricinfo

Comments