Lahore attack suspect arrested
Pakistan police have arrested a man suspected of being involved in the attack on Sri Lankan cricketers in Lahore on March 3 earlier this year. Five cricketers, including Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara, were injured in the attack which killed six security men and two civilians.
Pervez Rathor, Lahore's police chief, said seven attackers had been identified and one had been arrested. "We have broken up a Punjabi Taliban network and we have arrested an attacker who shot dead a policeman," Rathor told reporters. The suspect, who police identified as Zubair, also known as Naik Mohammad, appeared at the news conference in Lahore, the capital of the Punjab province in Pakistan, with a blanket over his head to hide his identity.
The Sri Lankan team was in Pakistan for a two-Test tour which, as a result of the attack, was terminated abruptly. The attack had immediate repercussions for cricket in Pakistan, as its status as an international sporting venue came under doubt. The ICC subsequently decided to strip the country of its right to host the 2011 World Cup.