Spot-fixing April 5, 2012

Mohammad Amir features in ACSU's educational video

shares 30

Mohammad Amir, the Pakistan fast-bowler banned from competitive cricket for five years for his part in the spot-fixing scandal of the 2010 Lord's Test, has appeared in an educational video on behalf of the ICC's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU).

In the five-minute video, Amir speaks about his life after being trapped by the illegal betting mafia, his embarrassment at lying to the ICC during its Qatar hearings and his three months in a British prison. Amir recounts his career, coming into the Pakistan team, and the Lord's Test, of which he says, "I took six wickets but I did something very bad… after a couple of hours, my life is changed, my life is ruined because of two no balls." It is understood the Amir video has also been shown to players from the various IPL teams in the lead-up to the event, which began on Wednesday.

Amir said he had wanted to confess to the ICC anti-corruption tribunal during their hearings in Qatar last January, but had been unable to do so. In the video, he says, "I always knew this was cheating cricket but I was under pressure. But I accept my mistake. When I was in the ICC hearing, I knew I was totally embarrassed because I knew I am lying. I wanted to tell the truth but I didn't have courage."

He said had bowled the no-balls at Lord's because, "some senior players put me under pressure. I didn't want to. One day I was on the top and the next day everyone was calling me cheater and fixer. You don't have words to explain that." The spot-fixing episode, he said, had been an act of entrapment but accepted his mistake of becoming a part of it. He said he was tricked into spot-fixing and he was not aware of the the player-agent Mazhar Majeed's intentions.

When he found himself facing a criminal trial, Amir said he had decided to tell the truth. The spot-fixing exercise was exposed by a sting operation arranged by the now defunct UK Sunday tabloid, the News Of the World. Amir who will turn 20 on April 13, pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy to accept corrupt payments and conspiracy to cheat at gambling and did not stand trial in London. He was sentenced to six months in jail and in the video says, "When the police put me in handcuffs I was literally crying and I was thinking I am not going to play cricket ever again."

His parting message in the video is, "Prison is a bad place for everyone. Don't make the mistakes which I did. I was stupid I didn't tell anybody because I didn't have coverage...If someone comes to you and asks you to do those kind of things, go straight to ICC team and team management they can help you."

Since his release after serving half of his six-month custodial sentence in England, Amir has been in contact with the ICC and PCB for an educational and rehabilitation program, which "remains confidential".

Speaking to ESPNcricinfo last month, the ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat had suggested the idea of Amir featuring in videos to point out the perils of corruption as part of educating young cricketers. "If Mohammad Amir stands up and delivers a message of caution about this murky world, people are going to sit up and listen. That is one example of rehabilitation,' Lorgat said.

In a televised interview with former England captain Michael Atherton last month, Aamer said his friendship with former Pakistan skipper Salman Butt was betrayed as it was Butt who had lured him into spot-fixing. Amir is currently living in Lahore, and serving his five-year ban which will run till 2015. There is no suggestion that Amir's appearance in the ACSU video will lead to a reduction of his ban.

There has been a lot of sympathy for Amir largely due to his age. Former captain Ramiz Raja met the bowler last week said, "the lad is obviously shaken badly by the gravity of events." The PCB at the moment is keen to take care of the bowler but is yet to launch any rehabilitation program officially; it is understood the ICC is supporting the PCB in the process. An ICC spokesman told ESPNcricinfo: "The ICC has been in contact with Amir and the PCB about appropriate education and rehabilitation at an appropriate time, the details of which remain confidential."

Umar Farooq is ESPNcricinfo's Pakistan correspondent

• POSTED BY LOVEUCRIC on | April 8, 2012, 20:56 GMT

so many time i send my requests through this platform i request once again that all the fans of cricket should back amir because of his age, and because of his abililites we want to see him back in action,,, and amir sometime it happens we all do mistakes but this is important to learn by those mistakes and determine not to revise the same mistakes again,,, i request once again PCB and THe I C C to please give him another chance,,, Please decrease his Time of punishment,,,, He already got a very good lesson,,,, and even he is an expample for the Rest of the players,,,,,,

• POSTED BY WickyRoy.paklover on | April 6, 2012, 15:07 GMT

@ALL PAK CRIC N AMIR HATRS,IT z 4 ur kind informatn that its naturall 4 all us to be repentng when caught red handed,so amir z no exception,MIND IT THT HE Z A KID N DESERVS 2nd chance in evry posible way.NO BODY Z INNOCENT IN THIS AS TO ERR Z HUMAN@RankPace,U NEED NOT TO Worry about our pace attack as we r going to find some vry soon,btw we r still betr than ind,bang,lolz.EVEN WITH THIS MEAGRE ATACK WE CAN Teach any team a lesson on most pitchs

• POSTED BY Sarfin on | April 6, 2012, 14:54 GMT

Some of my friends here seem to do no mistakes or crime in life. They should be canonized as saint as soon as possible. My earnest request to them- please appeal for a life long punishment whenever you commit any wrong.

• POSTED BY Malti65 on | April 6, 2012, 12:46 GMT

I fully agree with samincolumbia , that amir is only sorry because he was finally caught red handed. was he sorry when he was doing it and not caught?

• POSTED BY RankPace on | April 6, 2012, 12:13 GMT

I agree with samincolumbia . Being sorry after being caught red handed means nothing to me. You get him back and he will continue his old ways. better give opportunities to some other younsters so that they may be faithful to the country and to the game.

• POSTED BY RankPace on | April 6, 2012, 12:11 GMT

In the last 2 years pakistans growth in the fast bowling department has been serverly hampered because they have shown a complete inablity to move beyond the Amir episode. Riaz and Gul have been dissapointing but pakistan do not seem in a hurry to find better fast bowlers as if they are sure that they will get Amir back in a few months. Not good for pakistans cricket development, more particularly the fast bowlers. i think it can be safely said that presently pakistans fast bowlers are the worst in the world. it is the spin of Ajmal that has saved them for the time being but this will not go on forever. Ultimately pakistan will go the sri lanka way.

• POSTED BY MAK123 on | April 6, 2012, 7:39 GMT

The appearance in the video of this thief will do more harm to the budding cricketers than good. They would start believing that even they would become 'fallen heroes' like this thief. The ICC is turning him into a hero. He should be thrown into oblivion!!

• POSTED BY akbarbirbal007 on | April 6, 2012, 6:58 GMT

His ban should be reduced an year is enough he is already in process of completing 6 months..seeing his tender age and his involvement in the fixing...he has had enough of punishment.In the past also players like warne,gibbs,mark waugh were given another chance after their involvement in match fixing after being banned and fined for shorter duration.

• POSTED BY Sunman81 on | April 6, 2012, 4:30 GMT

The ban should not be reduced, however this man should be given another chance. He deserves it but only after he serves his full ban.

If he is able to regain his lost touch after 2015, he will be a star for sure!

• POSTED BY BaigSaqib on | April 5, 2012, 16:11 GMT

He should honor his punishment/ban and then should be open for selection. I think it would be fair. Those who thinks he should never be considered, in my opinion, are folks who do not believe in system of justice (in this case punishment). No one is GOD here. People makes mistake and a number of times they don't even get punishment for that. He at least is getting some.

• POSTED BY LOVEUCRIC on | April 8, 2012, 20:56 GMT

• POSTED BY WickyRoy.paklover on | April 6, 2012, 15:07 GMT

• POSTED BY Sarfin on | April 6, 2012, 14:54 GMT

• POSTED BY Malti65 on | April 6, 2012, 12:46 GMT

• POSTED BY RankPace on | April 6, 2012, 12:13 GMT

• POSTED BY RankPace on | April 6, 2012, 12:11 GMT

• POSTED BY MAK123 on | April 6, 2012, 7:39 GMT

• POSTED BY akbarbirbal007 on | April 6, 2012, 6:58 GMT

• POSTED BY Sunman81 on | April 6, 2012, 4:30 GMT

If he is able to regain his lost touch after 2015, he will be a star for sure!

• POSTED BY BaigSaqib on | April 5, 2012, 16:11 GMT

• POSTED BY cricpolitics on | April 5, 2012, 15:26 GMT

Everyone deserves a second chance particularly at this early age.

• POSTED BY limeykev2 on | April 5, 2012, 15:23 GMT

I would hope that the kid has been offered a reduction in his sentence - to two or three years - for this assistance. He must know that he will be scrutinized for the rest of his career now, but he has already lost years of play crucial in the development of a promising player, which may cost him the ability to become the world class bowler that his promise suggested.

• POSTED BY smjr on | April 5, 2012, 15:00 GMT

Dear Umar Farooq, I think mine as well as some of the original comments are omitted from here. Please reload. Thanks

• POSTED BY on | April 5, 2012, 14:22 GMT

Amir needs a second chance. Why can't the ICC think for the betterment of the game as Amir is a talent and its a shame to the game of wasting such a valuable gem. ICC should be more firm towards him as he has already been in jail for time and has admitted his mistake.

• POSTED BY SettingSun on | April 5, 2012, 14:10 GMT

I just can't picture Amir doing this, somehow. All I can conjure up in my mind is him being turned into a South Park half-Amir half-Mr Mackey caricature, standing there and going, "Deliberate no-balling is bad, mmmkay?"

• POSTED BY samincolumbia on | April 5, 2012, 14:09 GMT

Amir was only sorry because he got caught red-handed!! His message should be you can do it as long as you do not get caught and if you do, blame everybody else, but yourself!

• POSTED BY abuski on | April 5, 2012, 12:41 GMT

It must be compulsory Amir participates in this anti corruption awarness programme from the ICC as part of his reabilitation so when his ban is over he is totally ready no excuses and in the meantime should do more work in talking about the perils of corruption do not agree that the ban be shortened at all but ICC should give a helping hand in supporting him in this

• POSTED BY Lord_Dravid on | April 5, 2012, 12:39 GMT

i'd be too ashamed to even show my face in public ever again if i ever got convicted of corruption.

• POSTED BY baranasai on | April 5, 2012, 11:54 GMT

Yes This young Man made a mistake.No doubt He fully regrets for that. He has taken the punishment and move on in his life. He wants to go back to some normalcy in his life. We cant Punish him for all his life time - as cricket is only a game. Please give him a chance.( I echo the view of Dravid ) I dont know who this player any more than you- just heard about him in the news . Let us be humane. You can show the red card for few years but cant close the gates of his livelihood altogether

• POSTED BY MHZ14 on | April 5, 2012, 11:51 GMT

@Reggaecricket ...... Aamir was not even 18 when he committed the crime. please hate the crime not the criminal ..... once he accepted his mistake and served 3 months in jail then what else you want ?? everyone deserves second chance and so does he. ICC should reduce his ban to max 2-3 years and will keep and eye on him. 2nd mistake and ban for life will be an idea here

• POSTED BY nbhand03 on | April 5, 2012, 10:11 GMT

@smjr - While I totally understand your point on a logical/intellectual level, my heart goes out for this kid. Talented or not, guilty or not, prodigy or not, what hurts me the most is how exuberance of youth (perhaps i'm oversimplifying it a bit) mixed with the deadly sin of greed and lure of easy and quick money has robbed Aamer of what could/should have been the most memorable and formidable days as a person and as a cricketer.

We all have this dark passenger that we carry within ourselves; some just let the darkness engulf them so much that they're blinded by it and end up making terrible decisions. VK has had his moments. As a fan, I'm glad he seems to ahve overcome them and is on track now.

As an ardent cricket fan I wish/hope to see Aamer get back on track some day too. He's still young. It's all about stoking the fire of guilt and embarrassment and to turn it into a burning desire to play for his country again.

An Indian fan

• POSTED BY LOVEUCRIC on | April 5, 2012, 9:28 GMT

For being the lover of cricket game i request I C C ,,, to please give amir one chance more,, He never can even think again for such,, action,, please he deserve one chance,, please and i also request the P C B to please help amir all the cricket lovers wants to see him back in action,,

• POSTED BY AlbertEinstein on | April 5, 2012, 8:51 GMT

@smjr: I am with you on this mate. Amir is an overrated bowler. He played in that Australia tour as well in which pakistan lost all the matches, weren't those pitches bowling friendly too. Its a proven fact that current English team struggle against left arm bowlers and that in England the bowls swings like mad. So a couple of good performances in those conditions doesn't justify that he's the next big one.

• POSTED BY Masking_Tape on | April 5, 2012, 8:28 GMT

Where can I see the video?

• POSTED BY Salluoo7 on | April 5, 2012, 7:01 GMT

he should be given a chance

• POSTED BY Dr.Hasan on | April 5, 2012, 6:25 GMT

Hopefully he can practice what he preaches ... though I think he should complete 5 years of his ban and then look to make a comeback ... we cant cut corners for offenders no matter how talented or how young !

• POSTED BY Saeed.Lodhi on | April 5, 2012, 6:02 GMT

It takes lots of guts to accept one's mistake in public ... Amir's a brave man .... I am a strong believer that Amir should be given a second chance at life & cricket .... He has already served his prison sentence, so what's the point of not reducing his ban to play cricket.

• POSTED BY AdY113 on | April 5, 2012, 5:53 GMT

it would be pretty disgusting from the ICC if they , after involving him in all this anti corruption awareness process for their cause , not give him another chance soon.

~AdY~

• POSTED BY koldmeat on | April 5, 2012, 5:47 GMT

ICC should reduce his ban to 2 years maximum. He is an asset of the game and the world wants to see his talent.

• POSTED BY sherishahmir on | April 5, 2012, 5:28 GMT

Amir is now doing the right things, hope because of rehabilitation program and his age factor, ICC might reduce its imposed ban and allow him to play international cricket. Whatever happened is really bad for cricket fertinity.

• No featured comments at the moment.

• POSTED BY sherishahmir on | April 5, 2012, 5:28 GMT

• POSTED BY koldmeat on | April 5, 2012, 5:47 GMT

• POSTED BY AdY113 on | April 5, 2012, 5:53 GMT

~AdY~

• POSTED BY Saeed.Lodhi on | April 5, 2012, 6:02 GMT

• POSTED BY Dr.Hasan on | April 5, 2012, 6:25 GMT

• POSTED BY Salluoo7 on | April 5, 2012, 7:01 GMT

he should be given a chance

• POSTED BY Masking_Tape on | April 5, 2012, 8:28 GMT

Where can I see the video?

• POSTED BY AlbertEinstein on | April 5, 2012, 8:51 GMT