'I want to be like Afridi'

Rawalpindi batsman Awais Zia is keen to make his mark in Pakistan cricket. He talks about his recent debut and the idol he hopes to emulate

Umar Farooq

December 8, 2012

There may be millions of fans who idolise Shahid Afridi for his flamboyant batting, but few can play like him. Twenty-six-year-old Awais Zia, from the village of Chak Bhown, in Punjab's Chakwal district, has impressed with his attacking skills and is keen to emulate the Pakistan star. Zia, who is opening for Rawalpindi Rams in the ongoing Faysal Bank T-20 Cup, and has been labelled a T20 specialist by selector Azhar Khan, showed a glimpse of what he is capable of in Pakistan's T20 series against England in Dubai earlier this year.

Awais Zia played a more controlled innings, Pakistan v England, 3rd Twenty20, Abu Dhabi, February 27, 2012
"An opportunity to play against a team like England could have changed my fortune, but I was overconfident and played my shots in haste" © AFP
Players/Officials: Awais Zia
Series/Tournaments: Faysal Bank T-20 Cup
Teams: Pakistan

What does cricket mean to you?
I left my home and studies for cricket, and I have been playing since I was 15, so cricket is a livelihood for me. In those ten years I could have studied or chosen another profession, but I chose cricket and now this is my only professional. Playing for the national team is the ultimate goal.

For a while we thought Pakistan had a new Afridi. What went wrong?
It was a good chance, but unfortunately I didn't justify the opportunity. Otherwise, I am better than that. I was facing the world's best bowling attack. I knew I had to do something exceptional to keep my place, since winning a national spot is always tough. The opportunity to play against a team like England could have changed my fortune, but I admit I was overconfident and played my shots in haste. But, overall, I think I did fairly well, didn't I? (smiles)

Where do you see yourself headed now?
It's all about one good season and tournament, and I'll be back in contention. I have had a setback but I don't need to start from scratch. I am playing the Twenty20 Cup, followed by the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy, for Rawalpindi and I'm more focused than ever. I have plenty of cricket ahead of me. I never shy away from working hard.

Do you agree that your encounter with Steven Finn exposed your technique?
I learnt that most commentators doubt my ability to play on the off side. But I recovered well and played my shots all over the ground. My task was to give my team a brisk start and I think I did that well, but I then lost my nerve and threw my bat at everything. I was picked for Pakistan. This means my technique isn't flawed. What I was missing was the international exposure.

What has your international experience taught you?
The gravity of international cricket is far different from our domestic cricket. The standard of everything - pitches, bowling and fielding - when compared to domestic cricket, is obviously high. You have to be on your toes every second of the game. However, the basics are the same. Fitness and confidence play an important role in keeping you in international cricket.

Like many other players, you seem to hold cricket responsible for your not being able to complete your studies. Were you a good student?
(Laughs) My brother and my father are well qualified and work in the banking sector. My father is a bank manager. I did my matriculation, but cricket did take me away from further education. But I have confidence that I won't end up in the wilderness and will justify the choice I had to make of picking cricket over education.

Do you think beyond T20 cricket?
For a cricketer, T20 is a shortcut to gain attention, but Test cricket is the format that I really want to play. T20 has become a serious format of the game and it also requires skills. I made 232 against State Bank of Pakistan in the 2010-11 Quaid-e-Azam Trophy, so it's not like I can't play the longer format of the game. I know good performances in T20 will win me a place in the ODI side and then Tests.

You have only played 36 first-class matches since your first-class debut in 2007. How come?
I missed a complete season before 2010 due to typhoid. In 2011, I went Maldives to play the SAARC Twenty20 tournament for the Pakistan Under-25 team, where I won the best batsman award.

You come from a town that isn't known for producing cricketers. How did you get into cricket?
I started playing for Islamiya High School in my town and later joined the Khawar Cricket Club in Chakwal. But till my district was connected to Rawalpindi, I didn't get enough exposure and attention. In Rawalpindi, I saw Sohail Tanvir, Yasir Arafat, Mohammad Wasim, and my coach Sabhi Azhar, who supported me a lot. So my real journey started only after my town was associated with the Rawalpindi region.

Who is your inspiration in cricket?
Shahid Afridi is my idol. I want to be like him. He is a dangerous and brave batsman who always inspires me. I admire his courage to hit the ball without being overwhelmed by the bowler he is facing. This is how a batsman should be. I have a similar instinct and the guts to hit the ball out of the ground, no matter who the bowler in front of me is. I think I need to work on my temperament by playing more first-class cricket to get myself refined for top cricket.

Umar Farooq is ESPNcricinfo's Pakistan correspondent

RSS Feeds: Umar Farooq

Posted by   on (December 11, 2012, 23:43 GMT)

Afridi batting is ordinary I mean he averages a lowly 22 in some 300 plus ODI games so why would someone like this Zia guy would want to bat like him? doesn't make sense just be yourself.

Posted by   on (December 11, 2012, 16:43 GMT)

what's he saying? his statements are convoluted and contradictory, I find it hard to reconcile his views between 'being brave like afridi by hitting every bowler out of the park' and playing a 'temperamentally sound innings in first class cricket'. I saw him bat in the t20 game, his technique is obviously questionable; it's too bad he isn't ready to face the music.

Posted by   on (December 11, 2012, 16:01 GMT)

He is far better than Imran farhat and kamram akmal on any given day. He is the batsman can give you brisk start in T20 and if he can only learn to control is emotions, he can become the more mature Afridi which can be the most dangerous batsman in the world. I wish him good luck for the future.....

Posted by CriticallyCricket on (December 10, 2012, 5:35 GMT)

There is only One Afridi....

The management & support staff should work with this guy....

Posted by Baber_Baloch on (December 10, 2012, 4:23 GMT)

Please Pak no need more Afridi if you wana become allrounder Become like shakib hasan...not afridi no care of team ,,,just he wana hit six..it,s not game.

Posted by   on (December 9, 2012, 20:27 GMT)

Nasir Jamshed is much better option.

Posted by   on (December 9, 2012, 17:31 GMT)

we ha have got thousands of Afridis already and we dont need anymore Afridis right now.... However, we do need someone with a mixture of Agression+Brain+Technique.

Posted by   on (December 9, 2012, 11:53 GMT)

he also has psyche of hitting every ball out of the park which is impossible for even a world class batsman and most of time it cost your wicket,such kind of batsman can never make their way in international career.he need to change his mind set 1st prior to thinking for playing international cricket otherwise he can't maintain his place in team even if he has a enough talent.he should learn to play shots on merit not just swinging his bat in air without judging line length and field placement etc as afridi do nowadays...:)

Posted by   on (December 9, 2012, 10:33 GMT)

He is left handed batsman, he should idealized Gilchrist or even Chris Gale. Most of Afridi fan are girls and non-cricket audiences because of his face beauty and local marketing advertisements. I think Afridi is the main culprit for spoiling the opening batting order in Pakistan Cricket. Still we are desperate to see openers like Saeed Anwar in squad.

Posted by   on (December 9, 2012, 8:29 GMT)

Only 3 centuries in 36 First Class matches and only 16+ average in List A matches - He should be feeling lucky to even played for Pakistan. Pakistan has a lot of Afridi clones to hit a few sixes and then threw their wicket away but the strong point for Afridi is being a regular bowler and bowling all-rounder. I don't see him anywhere near to even play a T20 for Pakistan again unless he improves his technique which he is not concerned about. He also lacks in T20 temperament which he needs to work over as well.

Posted by   on (December 8, 2012, 18:09 GMT)

Oh please! Dont be like Afridi. See your ideal in a good aggressive bastman. Some one like Gilchrist should be your inspiration.

Posted by Imran-Akram on (December 8, 2012, 17:36 GMT)

His opening partner in Rawalpindi team, NAVED MALIK, is a much better batsman and he (NAVED MALIK) really deserves chance at least in T20 National Team.

Posted by Stark62 on (December 8, 2012, 11:17 GMT)

This guy isn't even half as talented as Afridi and is pretty much over hyped!!

Posted by   on (December 8, 2012, 7:03 GMT)

I liked the X-factor he brought with him, but i think it'll be difficult for him to make a place in the team for a further few months at least, what with Nasir Jamshed in form and Mohammad Hafeez the skipper. Plus, Ahmed Shahzad constantly seems to be hovering on the fringes as well. Maybe he ought to bat a bit further down?

Umar FarooqClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
1st Test: Australia v Pakistan at Dubai (DSC) - Oct 22-26
Pakistan 454 & 286/2d Australia 303 & 117/7
Group II: Falcons v State B of P at Abbottabad - Oct 24-27
Falcons 219 State B of P 213/6
Group II: Wolves v Habib Bank at Faisalabad - Oct 24-27
Habib Bank 332 Wolves 166 & 10/1 (f/o)
Leopards v National Bnk at Islamabad - Oct 24-27
WAPDA 185 Tigers 279/9
P Panthers v United Bank at Peshawar - Oct 24-27
P Panthers 98 United Bank 315/5
Group I: Quetta Bears v Pakistan TV at Islamabad - Oct 24-27
Quetta Bears 194 Pakistan TV 88/2
R Rams v Port Qasim A at Rawalpindi
Oct 24-27, 2014 (10:00 local | 05:00 GMT | 01:00 EDT | 00:00 CDT | 22:00 PDT)
Group II: S Stallions v Sui Sthn Gas at Sialkot - Oct 24-27