Pakistan news May 27, 2014

Younis wants to retire on his own terms

Younis Khan, the Pakistan batsman, hopes to revive his ODI career ahead of the 2015 World Cup and aims to retire on his own terms rather than be dropped for good by the selectors. Younis last played an ODI in March 2013, and a Twenty20 international in December 2010, but he remains a regular in the Test team.

"Whatever format I played I always tried to give my best," Younis said during the ongoing training camp in Lahore. "But I don't have a long-term goal that I want to play the 2015 or 2019 World Cup, my desire is to play as much cricket and keep up my role-model performance. A player like me, who has played 14-15 years of top cricket and played all forms of cricket, his career shouldn't be ended like being classified as only a Test player.

"My desire is to walk away on my own conditions, playing in every form of game I am available to play, rather than being dropped. I obviously want commit myself to playing ODIs and whenever I get a chance I surely would like to grab the opportunity to play the World Cup."

Younis' ODI form took a downturn during the 2012 tour of Sri Lanka, where he was left out of the fifth match of a series that Pakistan lost 1-3. Younis had made only 10 runs in three innings in that series, but managed to find a place on the tour of India and the ODIs in South Africa. However, after making only 190 runs in eight innings at an average of 23.75 and strike rate of 67.37, Younis was left out of the Champions Trophy squad and not found a way back since.

Younis is among the fittest Pakistan players, according to Mohammad Akram, who is running the Lahore camp. Younis was optimistic about his ODI future and hoped to use the rigourous training camp to get the selectors' attention. He felt he had another two years at top level.

"I might play for the next 10 years, but it's all about time and hunger for the game," Younis said. "I am almost in the fourteenth year of my career and it's very difficult to maintain your top performance playing at top level. After all, we are human and we can't maintain the much needed consistency, and sometime you lose interest.

"Such camps actually are very important to know yourself inside out - understand where you stand, what is the fitness level and how much we need to improve. It is good to get a window in international cricket. We unfortunately have lost the home advantage and mostly are on tours, hence no time for such extensive camps. So I took the opportunity to get myself tuned."

Umar Farooq is ESPNcricinfo's Pakistan correspondent. @kalson

• dummy4fb on May 30, 2014, 2:04 GMT

sir younis khan is one of the most respected players of pakistan, well behaved on thefield, ever smiling, he is an ideal model for modern day cricketers. good luck younis.

• dummy4fb on May 29, 2014, 19:44 GMT

Should have been a better picture of Younis khan..

• mshyder on May 29, 2014, 15:16 GMT

I agree with @Syed_imran_abbas, although Younis has struggled in ODIs for some time now but he is still far better than undeserving players like Shoaib Malik and Kamran Akmal. On the other hand Younis should also refrain from making such remarks about quitting at his own terms as you can only quit if you are selected in the team and that too on basis of your current form and performance and not on basis of achievements of yesteryears.

• KINGH11 on May 29, 2014, 14:41 GMT

Younis is great. Right only Afridi and Younis are the only Players who had played cricket with players like Wasim, Waqar etc HE SHALL HAVE A CONCRETE PLACE AT NO.3

• Syed_imran_abbas on May 29, 2014, 7:32 GMT

Younis may not be as good in ODI.s as in test cricket but if you are playing waste space players like umer amin, and malik than why not him. he is far better player than them. Give him a go for coming up series to test his ODI form.

• caldruid on May 29, 2014, 6:03 GMT

Younis is a classy, technically correct player. I love watching him in tests. I think he gets bogged down in ODIs though.

• Desihungama on May 29, 2014, 2:29 GMT

I feel sad for all the players great ones or otherwise who served Pakistan Cricket to have played under administrators best at running circus. These inept fools fail to realize retiring players ought to be given their due farewells as it is part and parcel of the game to generate interest in a fan. Younis Khan will always be remembered among the great ones.

• t20cric on May 28, 2014, 19:10 GMT

I'm not sure about Younis's statement here. If you look at his Test batting from Statsguru then it seems very good everywhere but if you do the same for his ODI batting then you see a very mediocre career which shows he never truly was that good in ODIs. That being said I still think that if guys like Shoaib Malik, Kamran Akmal, Imran Farhat, Mohammad Hafeez, Umar Amin etc. can get into the team then I would rather have Younis in the team cuz I think he can atleast perform better than them. If Younis really wants to play ODIs then I think he must replace Hafeez at no.3 position for all ODIs he's going to play. The other problem though is that Younis's strike rate is not too great and having both Younis and Misbah (maybe even Fawad) in the same team will see our team probably collapse less often but not score much or depend on a late explosion. I think Younis should retire from ODI after 2015wc and then just focus on tests (maybe try to become highest test scorer of Pakistan).

• android_user on May 28, 2014, 18:19 GMT

he has not played odi cricket for over an year now, with an avg of around 30 he does not deserve a place and yet consider himself lucky enough to have played that many odi matches, he has a poor technique against quality seam / pace bowling. must play test crkt only.

• atharsherwani on May 28, 2014, 17:29 GMT

Although Younis has served Pakistan well over the years but has found it a struggle in ODI's lately, hence not picked. I cannot remember when a Pakistan player in any sport has retired voluntarily. Perhaps Majid Khan in the Seventies of last century? The game has moved on since Younis's highs. Retire gracefully, please, instead of being pushed and shoved.

• No featured comments at the moment.