Ranji Trophy 2013-14

Irfan's focus on fitness as he works his way back

As Irfan Pathan makes yet another comeback to cricket after an injury break, he knows that fitness is key to how his career progresses

Kanishkaa Balachandran

December 27, 2013

Irfan Pathan stretches during practice ahead of England's tour match against India A, Mumbai, October 29, 2012
Irfan Pathan: "I am out of the [India] team because of my injuries, not because of my performances" © Associated Press
Preview : Yusuf keeps Baroda calm ahead of crucial game
Players/Officials: Irfan Pathan
Series/Tournaments: Ranji Trophy | Indian Domestic Season
Teams: India

If one has to think of a contemporary Indian cricketer slipping off the radar due to injuries and frequent breakdowns, Irfan Pathan would immediately come to mind. After missing Baroda's first five games of this season's Ranji Trophy due to a rib injury, he made an understated comeback against Services, albeit as a batsman. The trend continued in the following game against Saurashtra, in Rajkot, but Irfan insists that his return is a phased one and that he will resume bowling soon.

Baroda have one remaining game in the league stage but are not assured of a place in the quarter-finals. Qualification to the knockouts will be beneficial for Irfan, for he needs as much four-day cricket as possible to prove his durability in the longer formats as an allrounder. Though his comeback as a batsman has been far from electrifying, with scores of 22, 37 and a first-ball duck, Irfan is bullish he will start contributing with the ball again and regain that swing and zip that defined him as a bowler. He is taking it step by step in the nets and hopes to gradually increase his run-up.

"I have started bowling in the nets, but not with full intensity. I am on a quarter to half run-up now. But I need to keep bowling in the half run-up for a few sessions now. Once I get to a full run-up, I will start bowling in the games," Irfan said in Rajkot, after celebrating Baroda's win over Saurashtra. "The preparation has been less but, the good thing is that I've started playing. I'm happy to be part of the team that won two games outright. Overall it helps your morale as well."

Though he didn't make a meaty contribution to the victory, Irfan was his chirpy self through the game, happy to soak in his team's commanding position. His presence was enough to draw several young fans, who made the trip to Khanderi on the outskirts of the city, waiting patiently for autographs, jostling for space by the side of the pavilion and near the team bus, hoping he would oblige. He didn't get flustered when some teased him for getting out after making a start. Most were happy to see him back, in whichever form, and the attention around him was evident moments after his team seized victory late on the final day. During intervals in the game, he mixed around with the team staff as well, singing a Hindi film song from yesteryear. In short, he was enjoying himself.

Irfan's last appearance for India was in the World Twenty20 in 2012. Staying injury-free for long periods has been his biggest challenge and he is aware that cultivating his fitness would have to take precedence over skills if he is to make an India comeback. Which explains why he isn't being rushed back as a bowler.

"I am out of the team because of my injuries, not because of my performances," he said. "I got a five-for in Sri Lanka [before the World T20] as well. I just want to bowl the way I did last year. My aim is to stay fit and keep taking wickets in domestic cricket. Once I do that, I'm pretty sure I will be where I belong."

Irfan hasn't had the fortune of lasting an entire domestic season for a while now. He picked up a hamstring injury in the 2012-13 season and could only play one Ranji game. A comeback in the IPL led to a national recall for the Champions Trophy earlier this year, where he only got to play in the warm-ups. He suffered another hamstring pull which ruled him out of the West Indies tri-series and as the domestic season neared, he hurt his rib just before the one-dayers against the touring West Indies A side.

He admits that the rehab period was frustrating, but said the positivity of the people around him helped him cope with every breakdown. He credited the National Cricket Academy and its rehab programme in helping him regain fitness. Last year, when he was recalled for the tour of Sri Lanka, he took the NCA staff out to dinner as a token of appreciation.

"It's a test of character and patience as well," Irfan said, recalling the tough days. "It has tested my patience several times. When you're in the rehab center, working out for only one hour, you end up spending a lot of time with yourself, watching the game, sometimes doing nothing.

"It can be very frustrating when you're forcefully kept out of the game. But, I'm a Pathan and Pathan's are fighters. I just need to get fit. Other things will take care of themselves. I expect to get better match by match."

As a batsman, Irfan has been shunted around the batting order, sometimes used as a pinch-hitting opener. That has often led to confusion over his precise role in the side, but Irfan says it doesn't bother him.

"It doesn't matter to me anymore. I learn from experience. Even when I got out yesterday [first ball] the first thing I did was to go to the nets. When these things happen at the start of the season, you don't relax. You work on it.

"I think I'm good at handling the short ball so I can bat up the order as well. I only need to work on playing the bigger shots, and I have worked on my wrist position as well when it comes to my batting. I am always ready to bat at any position, you can ask my captains."

For the moment, though, fitness is paramount, as Irfan reiterated. "Once I manage to stay fit, my performance is going to be double, be it runs or wickets."

Kanishkaa Balachandran is a senior sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Kanishkaa Balachandran

Posted by TousifIqbal on (December 31, 2013, 12:01 GMT)

See the Last Test against S.A, Dhoni was talking more bout having the Luxury of an Allrounder. Hope irfan will put up more efforts for his Fitness n Performance, so that we may have the Luxury of what Dhoni was Talking Bout.

Posted by   on (December 31, 2013, 1:51 GMT)

Zaheer Khan went to France to get fit and even fitter. It seems to have worked for him. Perhaps Irfan should take the same route. Those French trainers seem to know a thing or two about how to whip an aging star back into shape.

Posted by   on (December 30, 2013, 14:28 GMT)

Sure India needs fit Irfan for the 2015 world cup. Give your 100% to the training and fitness stuff. Rest will be taken care automatically . All the best Irfan , I am sure you will bounce back from this tough phase.

Posted by Naresh28 on (December 29, 2013, 6:02 GMT)

The banana swing was his greatest asset. How could it just disappear never to be seen again. This guy when he first came out looked the part India badly needed. Please can we have the real Irfan or an imitation of him back again.

Posted by Naresh28 on (December 29, 2013, 5:47 GMT)

@anand - Yes cannot fathom what went wrong with this bright past prospect. Indian fans can only live with memories (here was the all rounder India badly needed) and some still clamour for him. The last time he returned to team India we had seen some flicker of flames. Can he come back????? It is entirely up to him and he needs to give 100 %

Posted by jimbond on (December 29, 2013, 2:24 GMT)

For those talking up Aparajit as an allrounder, best to look at the number of overs he is bowling (or rather, not bowling) for his Ranji side this year. Like many others in the past, he seems to be focusing on becoming a pure batsman. The truth is that there are not many probable allrounders in India and two of these (Jadeja and Ashwin) are already in the national team. Bhuvaneshwar Kumar was developing as an allrounder at Ranji level, but at the international level, his batting has not developed. Rishi Dhawan seems to be a cut above the rest at the domestic level. There are others like Saxena and Rasool, but they have a long way to go to be of that level. Yusuf Pathan's batting and bowling is good only at the T20 level.

Posted by ChiragPathak on (December 29, 2013, 1:54 GMT)

. In my ODI team there is always Irfan Pathan along with Ravindra Jadeja. both are world class all rounders. 5 Batsman, 1 Wkbatsman, 3 bowlers, 2 bowling allrounders (Irfan + Jadeja). Hope Dhoni thinks same way !

Posted by TimeKiller on (December 28, 2013, 17:47 GMT)

Good job Kanishkaa. You guys should take the opportunity to interview more Ranji players. They must be more easily accessible to you than international players.

Posted by   on (December 28, 2013, 14:31 GMT)

What a colossal frittering away of potential. He had great swing going(Remember his hattrick). Useful runs with the bat. Suddenly, swing disappeared and runs dried up. Still mind boggling how he could loose such gift of swing

Posted by   on (December 28, 2013, 14:09 GMT)

ind needs irfan for 2015 world cup,because there is no good fast bowling allrounder in india . rishi Dhawan is bright prospect.

Posted by   on (December 28, 2013, 12:27 GMT)

When is next IPL auction?

Posted by   on (December 28, 2013, 10:49 GMT)

Pathan unfort a spent force, to make a comeback the mountain to climb I feel will be too high for him, time for Rishi Dhawan and Baba Aparajit to be given a chance, even Varun Aaron could be ready for a return for Eng tour.

Irfan was one of my favourite guys but once he fell out of favour with Dhoni hes found next to impossible to come back, fitness is a major issue, perhaps an early trip to play English county cricket next year may be very beneficial

Posted by   on (December 28, 2013, 10:25 GMT)

Action change, pace loss and then too much classes from Greg Chappel and Wasim Akram ruined his career. I just see him bowling for Delhi Daredevils in future.

Posted by   on (December 28, 2013, 10:23 GMT)

A mediocre bowler with too much success too early and then trapped with Injuries.

Posted by   on (December 28, 2013, 10:16 GMT)

Yes. He Should Come Back with 100% Fitness also Robin Uthappa

Posted by   on (December 28, 2013, 8:20 GMT)

irfan is an excellent bowler...his servces r essential for indian cricket....

Posted by hotcric01 on (December 28, 2013, 6:12 GMT)

Irfan is only genuine medium pace bowling allrounder india have produced in recent history.His service is very important for india at 2015 ODI world cup

Posted by RajeshNaik on (December 28, 2013, 5:15 GMT)

Irfan is another favorite of the masses like Bhuvaneshwar. Masses get excited with the swing and that is all is thre to both these bowlers. If there is swing then kings. Or else nothings. If there is no swing then Irfan is clueless as to how to bowl just like Bhuvaneshwar. Not good enough.

Posted by Nampally on (December 28, 2013, 2:44 GMT)

Irfan Pathan needs to do the same course as Yuvraj & Zaheer did for their fitness. This Guy had immense talent at a young age of early 20's when he played for India in tests as an all rounder. He got 1000 runs in tests & got 100 wkts. but could not keep up his Form, Fitness or Performance. Now at the age of 29 he is trying to make a comeback. Easier approach is to remain fit till at least 30 by working hard on it. Making a comeback at 29 is not easy with so many aspiring youngsters fighting for a spot. I wish Irfan good luck but he has to do like ZAK & Yuraj- Foreign Trainer who understands the body!

Posted by jimbond on (December 28, 2013, 1:44 GMT)

Pathan could be useful both in England and NZ. I also remember him being man of the match in one of India's rare victories at Perth. He is a match winner, and he is right that his entire focus should be on remaining fit. As backup for him, it may make sense to consider both Abhishek Nayar and Rishi Dhawan- for the England and NZ tours.

Posted by   on (December 27, 2013, 19:51 GMT)

you, Rishi Dhawan and Baba Aparajit need to come in team as all-rounders.

Posted by Raki99 on (December 27, 2013, 19:44 GMT)

The guy hasen't played a Test Since 2008 thats nearly six years, Also He bowls slower than anil kumble use to bowl. Its time for Indian team to invest in some one else. I was his greater suppoter but he just lost his swing and pace and never recovered, Chappel was culprit in ruining his career. In ODi he could still contribute but I don't see him playing a test any more.

Posted by mask63 on (December 27, 2013, 18:52 GMT)

Irfan you are an absolute gem for team India with both batting and bowling...... But you need to keep 100% fit urself..... you should hire a personal trainer for ur fitness....... Best of luck for future and make a terrific comeback to the team as soon as possible......

Posted by   on (December 27, 2013, 17:22 GMT)

Irphan when a tiger is about to jump, it takes two steps back. its the time to jump now. you know your potential .... we need you in team

Posted by   on (December 27, 2013, 17:22 GMT)

Irfan, take it easy - don't rush back. When you return, return at 100%.

Posted by   on (December 27, 2013, 17:19 GMT)

He is the perfect seam bowling all rounder we need for the tour to England in July 2014 .Then we can go in with five specialist bowlers in all games.My XI for the test matches in England: Vijay Dhawan Pujara Kohli Rahane Dhoni Pathan Jadeja Ashwin/Kumar Shami Ishant/Zaheer/Umesh

Posted by 777aditya on (December 27, 2013, 17:18 GMT)

Love this guy - an actual all-rounder - not bits and pieces. Just hope he comes back in the Indian team soon - he ain't getting any younger for sure. He should go to the exotic place where Yuvi and Zak went for fitness training. If and when he manages a comeback, fitness can be the only issue. He is good enough to hold his place as a pure batsman or bowler in limited overs. Would love him to be in the test team though. Come back as Irfan, come back and save Team India - come back as Varun and blow off the opponents - come back as anyone....Krishna nee begani baaro :)

Posted by madhugaire on (December 27, 2013, 17:01 GMT)

i would like to call him a man of immense talent. Be it bowling or batting, you can always rely on him. Who can forget the half century in ODI he made against pak after being promoted in the order to go one down. Everybody that loves indian cricket or rather cricket wants to see him in shining indian jersey as soon as possible. It looks as if the match of international coverage he could be seen playing is the IPL tournament. even if that is going to be correct, I guess, Once again he will prove himself, First with ball and with bat as well, and may find his palce in the playing eleven. Have a speedy recovery and wonderful improvements in bowling

Posted by kartcric on (December 27, 2013, 16:59 GMT)

Take it step by step irfan.You will be soon playing for india.You are one of the most talented in the country and the spot is not far away.Keep working hard.Absolute champ!

Kanishkaa BalachandranClose
Tournament Results
Karnataka v Maharashtra at Hyderabad (Deccan) - Jan 29-Feb 2, 2014
Karnataka won by 7 wickets
Punjab v Karnataka at Mohali - Jan 18-22, 2014
Match drawn (Karnataka won on 1st innings)
Bengal v Maharashtra at Indore - Jan 18-20, 2014