- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Larsen b Vettori60108887068.18c Harris b Cairns0105000.00not out123201123101100.00b Larsen927220040.90c & b Harris1017170058.82run out (Nash)2740312087.09not out17141420121.42Extras11 (lb 5, w 6)TOTAL257/5 (50 Overs, RR: 5.14)Fall of wickets: 1-3 (SR Tendulkar, 2.1 ov), 2-116 (SC Ganguly, 25.3 ov), 3-144 (M Azharuddin, 32.6 ov), 4-163 (A Jadeja, 37.4 ov), 5-223 (RR Singh, 46.1 ov)
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Mongia b Srinath1014121083.33lbw b Tendulkar5794625091.93c Ganguly b Srinath73114768096.05c Srinath b Singh2347310174.19not out1642231069.56run out (Azharuddin)1335231056.52not out13100100.00Extras7 (lb 5, w 2)TOTAL200/5 (38 Overs, RR: 5.26)Fall of wickets: 1-21 (RG Twose, 2.5 ov), 2-126 (MJ Horne, 20.6 ov), 3-166 (CD McMillan, 29.4 ov), 4-168 (CL Cairns, 31.1 ov), 5-194 (CZ Harris, 37.3 ov)
- Owen Delany Park, Taupo
India , elected to bat first
New Zealand led the 5-match series 1-0
Player of the match
9 January 1999 - day/night match (50-over match)
- R Dravid and RR Singh partnership: 50 off 44 balls, 34 minutes
- MJ Horne 50 off 51 balls, 82 minutes
- First ever One-Day International at Taupo, New Zealand's 8th new venue (after Christchurch, Dunedin, Wellington, Auckland, Hamilton, Napier and New Plymouth). It is the 122nd venue worldwide.
- A lighting tower blew a fuse at 8:56pm and as a result a circuit breaker had to be replaced, delaying a resumption in play for almost 50 minutes. Drinks were taken upon stoppage of play with New Zealand 168/3 after 30.4 overs. 11 overs were deducted based on a rate of 1 over per 4.2 minutes lost.
- New Zealand's target revised to 200 runs off 39 overs to win using the Duckworth/Lewis method (32 runs off the remaining 8.2 overs required).