- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Jayasuriya b Bandaratilleke461831526030.26c †Kaluwitharana b Bandaratilleke1550020.00lbw b Dharmasena1457492028.57c Tillakaratne b Dharmasena532101924127.60c Tillakaratne b Bandaratilleke013000.00b Bandaratilleke1343431030.23c Jayasuriya b Dharmasena30105872034.48c Jayasuriya b Dharmasena064000.00c Wickramasinghe b Dharmasena413140028.57st †Kaluwitharana b Dharmasena2350471048.93not out0914000.00Extras9 (lb 7, nb 2)TOTAL193 all out (101.1 Overs, RR: 1.90)Fall of wickets: 1-5 (MJ Horne, 2.2 ov), 2-21 (SP Fleming, 16.5 ov), 3-90 (BA Young, 52.2 ov), 4-90 (DL Vettori, 52.3 ov), 5-110 (CD McMillan, 66.3 ov), 6-137 (NJ Astle, 79.1 ov), 7-137 (CL Cairns, 81.2 ov), 8-147 (CZ Harris, 85.1 ov), 9-190 (AC Parore, 97.3 ov), 10-193 (PJ Wiseman, 101.1 ov)
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Harris b Vettori2149312067.74c Vettori b Wiseman351301173029.91lbw b Harris16733827818060.07lbw b Vettori1023190152.63c O'Connor b Vettori36100551165.45b Wiseman1063371027.02run out (Harris)312130023.07run out (Harris)1276651018.46c Harris b Vettori1227182066.66run out (Harris)41360066.66not out22200100.00Extras11 (lb 9, nb 2)TOTAL323 all out (106.4 Overs, RR: 3.02)Fall of wickets: 1-44 (ST Jayasuriya, 12.2 ov), 2-106 (MS Atapattu, 37.4 ov), 3-135 (PA de Silva, 44.2 ov), 4-211 (A Ranatunga, 66.4 ov), 5-262 (HP Tillakaratne, 81.1 ov), 6-271 (RS Kaluwitharana, 84.3 ov), 7-301 (DPMD Jayawardene, 100.2 ov), 8-315 (HDPK Dharmasena, 104.4 ov), 9-319 (GP Wickramasinghe, 105.6 ov), 10-323 (MRCN Bandaratilleke, 106.4 ov)
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Tillakaratne b Bandaratilleke1138282039.28lbw b Bandaratilleke331200015.00lbw b Muralitharan1063431023.25b de Silva1387701018.57c Jayasuriya b Bandaratilleke11080012.50not out32109863037.20c Tillakaratne b Bandaratilleke1630381142.10c Jayawardene b Muralitharan910121075.00run out (Bandaratilleke)043000.00c Tillakaratne b Bandaratilleke2340050.00c Jayasuriya b Muralitharan01624000.00Extras17 (b 7, lb 7, nb 2, w 1)TOTAL114 all out (55 Overs, RR: 2.07)Fall of wickets: 1-18 (MJ Horne, 7.1 ov), 2-21 (BA Young, 9.1 ov), 3-40 (SP Fleming, 20.5 ov), 4-41 (CD McMillan, 23.5 ov), 5-69 (NJ Astle, 34.1 ov), 6-94 (CL Cairns, 43.3 ov), 7-103 (CZ Harris, 46.2 ov), 8-106 (DL Vettori, 48.4 ov), 9-109 (PJ Wiseman, 49.3 ov), 10-114 (SB O'Connor, 54.6 ov)
New Zealand , elected to bat first
3-match series level 1-1
Player of the match
3,4,5,6,7 June 1998 (5-day match)
- Wed, 3 Jun - day 1 - New Zealand 1st innings 96/4 (NJ Astle 30*, CD McMillan 2*, 55.1 ov)
- Thu, 4 Jun - day 2 - New Zealand 1st innings 122/5 (NJ Astle 42*, AC Parore 3*, 73 ov)
- Fri, 5 Jun - day 3 - Sri Lanka 1st innings 197/3 (DPMD Jayawardene 89*, A Ranatunga 33*, 60 ov)
- Sat, 6 Jun - day 4 - New Zealand 2nd innings 94/5 (AC Parore 25*, CL Cairns 16*, 43 ov)
- Sun, 7 Jun - day 5 - New Zealand 2nd innings 114 (55 ov) - end of match
- A shower at the scheduled start time delayed play for one hour. The two remaining sessions will have 30 minutes added to them to make up the lost time.
- HDPK Dharmasena's 6-73 in New Zealand's 1st innings is the 5th best bowling performance in an innings for Sri Lanka in Test cricket. It is the best by a Sri Lankan against New Zealand in Tests (previous: WPUJC Vaas 6-87 at Dunedin in 1994-95).
- MRCN Bandaratilleke's match haul of 9-82 is the 3rd best Test match bowling figures by a Sri Lankan. It is the 2nd best match performance for Sri Lanka against New Zealand (best: WPUJC Vaas 10-90 at Napier in 1994-95).
- Play began at 1130GMT with 1 hour of play scheduled. 17 overs were bowled before bad light forced an early close. Due to water seeping under the covers after overnight rain the first two sessions were abandoned.
- Heavy overnight rain in Galle leaked under the cover onto the pitch area, and delayed the start of play for 3 hours.