- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Kaluwitharana b Muralitharan501371036048.54b Pushpakumara4177568073.21b Anurasiri732021289057.03run out (Muralitharan)1138321034.37c & b Anurasiri848370021.62c †Kaluwitharana b Vaas441291097040.36lbw b Muralitharan216140014.28c Pushpakumara b Anurasiri520180027.77b Vaas33833009.09not out11616006.25lbw b Pushpakumara0129000.00Extras13 (lb 3, nb 9, w 1)TOTAL251 all out (90.2 Overs, RR: 2.77)Fall of wickets: 1-70 (GW Flower, ), 2-110 (GJ Rennie, ), 3-144 (GJ Whittall, ), 4-174 (A Flower, ), 5-201 (MW Goodwin, ), 6-206 (CB Wishart, ), 7-223 (PA Strang, ), 8-240 (HH Streak, ), 9-249 (ADR Campbell, ), 10-251 (M Mbangwa, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc GJ Whittall b Streak529200025.00c †A Flower b Strang48134799060.75b Mbangwa843301026.66c & b Streak2738284196.42c Streak b Strang522021436036.36c Rennie b AR Whittall781540012.96c †A Flower b Strang517147120108.51not out342250012.00c †A Flower b Mbangwa116711157.14b Strang1460016.66absent hurt-Extras12 (lb 11, w 1)TOTAL225 all out (73.5 Overs, RR: 3.04)Fall of wickets: 1-12 (ST Jayasuriya, ), 2-43 (RS Mahanama, ), 3-91 (PA de Silva, ), 4-91 (MS Atapattu, ), 5-130 (HP Tillakaratne, ), 6-198 (RS Kaluwitharana, ), 7-213 (A Ranatunga, ), 8-224 (M Muralitharan, ), 9-225 (KR Pushpakumara, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Kaluwitharana b de Silva1225203060.00b Jayasuriya521731274040.94c Tillakaratne b de Silva231170011.76b Jayasuriya3996885044.31c sub (DPMD Jayawardene) b Muralitharan1742312054.83not out10533723810144.11c †Kaluwitharana b Anurasiri371521045035.57c †Kaluwitharana b Pushpakumara18125941019.14b Muralitharan323180016.66run out (†Kaluwitharana)1360016.66c de Silva b Muralitharan420171023.52Extras9 (lb 6, nb 2, w 1)TOTAL299 all out (125.5 Overs, RR: 2.37)Fall of wickets: 1-22 (GJ Rennie, ), 2-34 (AR Whittall, ), 3-104 (MW Goodwin, ), 4-117 (GW Flower, ), 5-128 (GJ Whittall, ), 6-204 (ADR Campbell, ), 7-267 (CB Wishart, ), 8-284 (PA Strang, ), 9-286 (HH Streak, ), 10-299 (M Mbangwa, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †A Flower b Streak681681118261.26c †A Flower b Streak0127000.00lbw b Mbangwa0179000.00not out14346031016246.12lbw b Streak022000.00c Campbell b Streak427111036.36not out8730323212037.50Extras24 (b 11, lb 13)TOTAL326/5 (113.5 Overs, RR: 2.86)Fall of wickets: 1-1 (MS Atapattu, ), 2-10 (RS Mahanama, ), 3-115 (ST Jayasuriya, ), 4-115 (HP Tillakaratne, ), 5-137 (RS Kaluwitharana, )
Zimbabwe , elected to bat first
Sri Lanka won the 2-match series 2-0
Player of the match
Player of the series
14,15,16,17,18 January 1998 (5-day match)
- Wed, 14 Jan - day 1 - Zimbabwe 1st innings 251/9 (AR Whittall 1*, M Mbangwa 0*, 90 ov)
- Thu, 15 Jan - day 2 - Zimbabwe 2nd innings 24/1 (GW Flower 10*, AR Whittall 0*, 10 ov)
- Fri, 16 Jan - day 3 - Zimbabwe 2nd innings 241/6 (A Flower 61*, CB Wishart 14*, 104 ov)
- Sat, 17 Jan - day 4 - Sri Lanka 2nd innings 209/5 (PA de Silva 87*, A Ranatunga 29*, 64 ov)
- Sun, 18 Jan - day 5 - Sri Lanka 2nd innings 326/5 (113.5 ov) - end of match
- Sri Lanka target for victory 326 in five sessions of play.
- GJ Whittall was Muralitharan's 150th Test wicket in his 36th Test - the first Sri Lankan bowler to reach this milestone.
- WPUJC Vaas was unable to bat in Sri Lanka's first innings, or take any further part in the match, due to measles.
- The high heat and humidity forced drinks to be taken every 45 minutes