- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Richardson b Donald1638262061.53c Kirsten b Donald11535227014042.59lbw b Pollock29114924031.52b Symcox1151341032.35c †Richardson b Schultz828221036.36c Bacher b Symcox1175562019.64lbw b Donald1260340035.29not out12835026711147.94lbw b Pollock0135000.00lbw b Pollock45106815255.55b Cronje591831064455.66Extras22 (b 2, lb 7, nb 13)TOTAL456 all out (162.5 Overs, RR: 2.80)Fall of wickets: 1-45 (Saeed Anwar, ), 2-114 (Mohammad Ramzan, ), 3-135 (Ijaz Ahmed, ), 4-152 (Inzamam-ul-Haq, ), 5-196 (Mohammad Wasim, ), 6-206 (Ali Naqvi, ), 7-230 (Moin Khan, ), 8-231 (Saqlain Mushtaq, ), 9-305 (Waqar Younis, ), 10-456 (Mushtaq Ahmed, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Ijaz Ahmed b Saqlain Mushtaq984253447028.48c Mohammad Ramzan b Saqlain Mushtaq501991423035.21lbw b Saqlain Mushtaq612131576038.85lbw b Saqlain Mushtaq1659453035.55c Ijaz Ahmed b Azhar Mahmood2491593040.67c Ijaz Ahmed b Saqlain Mushtaq749271025.92c †Mohammad Wasim b Azhar Mahmood48136994148.48not out451681245036.29st †Mohammad Wasim b Mushtaq Ahmed5561083.33c Saeed Anwar b Mushtaq Ahmed02117000.00lbw b Mushtaq Ahmed1970014.28Extras48 (b 20, lb 9, nb 15, w 4)TOTAL403 all out (167.5 Overs, RR: 2.40)Fall of wickets: 1-107 (AM Bacher, ), 2-221 (JH Kallis, ), 3-228 (G Kirsten, ), 4-249 (DJ Cullinan, ), 5-278 (WJ Cronje, ), 6-282 (BM McMillan, ), 7-388 (SM Pollock, ), 8-393 (PL Symcox, ), 9-399 (AA Donald, ), 10-403 (BN Schultz, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc sub (JN Rhodes) b Donald412121033.33c †Richardson b Kallis1957273070.37c Cronje b Kallis771490014.28b Symcox1650382042.10c Symcox b Cronje561318210068.29c Pollock b Symcox1026201050.00not out50137968152.08not out656330018.18Extras14 (b 2, lb 2, nb 10)TOTAL182/6 (57.4 Overs, RR: 3.15)Fall of wickets: 1-5 (Saeed Anwar, ), 2-33 (Ali Naqvi, ), 3-42 (Mohammad Ramzan, ), 4-66 (Ijaz Ahmed, ), 5-80 (Mohammad Wasim, ), 6-148 (Inzamam-ul-Haq, )
Pakistan , elected to bat first
3-match series level 0-0
Player of the match
6,7,8,9,10 October 1997 (5-day match)
- Mon, 6 Oct - day 1 - Pakistan 1st innings 216/6 (Moin Khan 8*, Azhar Mahmood 4*)
- Tue, 7 Oct - day 2 - Pakistan 1st innings 345/9 (Azhar Mahmood 72*, Mushtaq Ahmed 6*)
- Wed, 8 Oct - day 3 - South Africa 1st innings 139/1 (G Kirsten 62*, JH Kallis 20*)
- Thu, 9 Oct - day 4 - South Africa 1st innings 359/6 (SM Pollock 35*, DJ Richardson 30*)
- Fri, 10 Oct - day 5 - Pakistan 2nd innings 182/6 (57.4 ov) - end of match
- The 10th wicket partnership of 151 between Azhar Mahmood and Mushtaq Ahmed equalled the Test record for this wicket (Hastings and Collinge for New Zealand v Pakistan, Auckland, 1972-73), and beat the previous Pakistan record of 133 (Wasim Raja and Wasim Bari, v West Indies, Bridgetown, 1976-77)
- Azhar Mahmood is the 6th Pakistani batsman to score a century on debut.
- First occasion of two players making century on debut (Ali Naqvi and Azhar Mahmood) in the same Test innings.
- Highest Test scores for Waqar Younis and Mushtaq Ahmed.
- 3 hours of play lost due to overnight rain and wet outfield.
- Brett Schultz has injured his shoulder and may not bowl further in the match.
- Pakistan 1st innings: 3x7-ball overs (by umpire Javed Akhtar - overs 21, 83 and 105)
- Pakistan 1st innings: 1x5-ball over (by umpire Javed Akhtar - over 35)
- Ali Naqvi is the 5th Pakistani batsman to score a century on debut.
- New ball taken after 82 overs.
- At the end of 82nd over, Schultz left the field. Rhodes came on as the substitute.
- Moin Khan had an all run 4.
- The light was offered to the batsmen after 86.2 overs, ending play on the first day.