- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Fleming b Cairns2376703032.85c †Parore b Cairns10434528810036.11c Spearman b Cairns814151053.33c Fleming b O'Connor3379552060.00c Pocock b Astle1825223081.81lbw b Davis23103901025.55c Fleming b Davis42114796053.16c Fleming b Cairns022000.00c Fleming b Davis2283741029.72lbw b Cairns11280012.50not out021000.00Extras24 (b 1, lb 5, nb 14, w 4)TOTAL298 all out (114.1 Overs, RR: 2.61)Fall of wickets: 1-47 (GJ Rennie, ), 2-57 (A Flower, ), 3-117 (GJ Whittall, ), 4-144 (ADR Campbell, ), 5-214 (DL Houghton, ), 6-244 (GW Flower, ), 7-244 (HH Streak, ), 8-295 (PA Strang, ), 9-298 (JA Rennie, ), 10-298 (BC Strang, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Campbell b BC Strang2368422054.76run out (Streak)2166540038.88c Whittall b Streak2462571142.10c †A Flower b BC Strang521441137146.01c †A Flower b BC Strang714141050.00run out (Streak)1291581020.68not out42120935045.16lbw b Huckle1659370043.24c JA Rennie b PA Strang22325008.00c Houghton b PA Strang2750040.00c GJ Rennie b Huckle1560016.66Extras5 (b 4, lb 1)TOTAL207 all out (84 Overs, RR: 2.46)Fall of wickets: 1-44 (BA Pocock, ), 2-44 (CM Spearman, ), 3-89 (MJ Horne, ), 4-96 (NJ Astle, ), 5-135 (SP Fleming, ), 6-146 (CL Cairns, ), 7-189 (CZ Harris, ), 8-198 (DL Vettori, ), 9-204 (SB O'Connor, ), 10-207 (HT Davis, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Harris b O'Connor572211662034.33c Fleming b O'Connor15133524012362.91c †Parore b O'Connor2061351057.14run out (O'Connor)416160025.00c Fleming b Davis2183492042.85c Davis b Astle1750020.00c Horne b Davis1735211080.95run out (Harris)095000.00c & b Astle1623181088.88not out41870057.14Extras20 (lb 12, nb 8)TOTAL311/9d (91.5 Overs, RR: 3.38)Fall of wickets: 1-156 (GJ Rennie, ), 2-218 (A Flower, ), 3-231 (GJ Whittall, ), 4-263 (GW Flower, ), 5-264 (DL Houghton, ), 6-290 (PA Strang, ), 7-290 (ADR Campbell, ), 8-290 (HH Streak, ), 9-311 (JA Rennie, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRlbw b Streak522081576033.12c †A Flower b Huckle3378666050.00c †A Flower b PA Strang043000.00lbw b BC Strang2797901030.00c GW Flower b BC Strang033000.00not out712562387129.83lbw b Huckle51735310096.22lbw b Streak4189815050.61c GJ Rennie b Huckle1349490026.53not out12631003.22Extras15 (b 6, lb 6, nb 2, w 1)TOTAL304/8 (128 Overs, RR: 2.37)Fall of wickets: 1-63 (CM Spearman, ), 2-64 (MJ Horne, ), 3-116 (SP Fleming, ), 4-116 (NJ Astle, ), 5-122 (BA Pocock, ), 6-200 (AC Parore, ), 7-266 (CZ Harris, ), 8-296 (DL Vettori, )
- Harare Sports Club
New Zealand , elected to field first
2-match series level 0-0
Player of the match
18,19,20,21,22 September 1997 (5-day match)
- Thu, 18 Sep - day 1 - Zimbabwe 1st innings 205/4 (GW Flower 85*, DL Houghton 20*)
- Fri, 19 Sep - day 2 - New Zealand 1st innings 91/3 (SP Fleming 20*, NJ Astle 2*)
- Sat, 20 Sep - day 3 - Zimbabwe 2nd innings 115/0 (GJ Rennie 45*, GW Flower 60*)
- Sun, 21 Sep - day 4 - New Zealand 2nd innings 64/2 (BA Pocock 30*)
- Mon, 22 Sep - day 5 - New Zealand 2nd innings 304/8 (128 ov) - end of match
- GW Flower becomes the first player to score a century in each innings of a Test for Zimbabwe.
- GJ Rennie and GW Flower's 156 set a new record partnership for the 1st wicket for Zimbabwe in Tests (previous: GW Flower and SV Carlisle, Zimbabwe v New Zealand at Auckland, 1995-96).
- GW Flower (1430 runs) becomes Zimbabwe's highest Test run-scorer (previous: DL Houghton 1419 runs)
- SP Fleming 7 catches in the match, equals the record for most catches by a fielder in a Test (also: GS Chappell, Aus v Eng at Perth, 2nd Test, 1974/75; Yajurvindra Singh, Ind v Eng at Bangalore, 4th Test, 1976/77; HP Tillakaratne, SL v NZ at Colombo, 2nd Test, 1992/93); new record for New Zealand (previous - 6 catches: BA Young v Pak at Auckland, 1st Test, 1993/94).
- SP Fleming 5 catches, equals the record for most catches by a fielder in a Test innings (also: VY Richardson, Aus v SA at Durban, 5th test, 1935/36; Yajurvindra Singh, Ind v Eng at Bangalore, 4th Test, 1976/77; M Azharuddin, Ind v Pak at Karachi, 1st Test, 1989/90; K Srikkanth, Ind v Aus at Perth, 5th Test, 1991/92); new Test record for New Zealand (previous - 4 catches: JJ Crowe v WI at Bridgetown, 3rd Test, 1984/85; MD Crowe v WI at Kingston, 4th Test, 1984/85).
- 1 hour and 15 minutes were lost to rain on the first morning
- First time 3 pairs of brothers have appeared on the same team in a Test (A & GW Flower, PA & BC Strang, JA & GJ Rennie).