- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Fleming b Cairns2370763032.85c †Parore b Cairns10428834510036.11c Spearman b Cairns815141053.33c Fleming b O'Connor3355792060.00c Pocock b Astle1822253081.81lbw b Davis23901031025.55c Fleming b Davis42791146053.16c Fleming b Cairns022000.00c Fleming b Davis2274831029.72lbw b Cairns18120012.50not out012000.00Extras24 (b 1, lb 5, nb 14, w 4)TOTAL298 all out (114.1 Overs, RR: 2.61)Fall of wickets: 1-47 (GJ Rennie), 2-57 (A Flower), 3-117 (GJ Whittall), 4-144 (ADR Campbell), 5-214 (DL Houghton), 6-244 (GW Flower), 7-244 (HH Streak), 8-295 (PA Strang), 9-298 (JA Rennie), 10-298 (BC Strang)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Campbell b Strang2342682054.76run out (Streak)2154660038.88c Whittall b Streak2457621142.10c †A Flower b Strang521131447146.01c †A Flower b Strang714141050.00run out (Streak)1258911020.68not out42931205045.16lbw b Huckle1637590043.24c JA Rennie b Strang22523008.00c Houghton b Strang2570040.00c GJ Rennie b Huckle1650016.66Extras5 (b 4, lb 1)TOTAL207 all out (84 Overs, RR: 2.46)Fall of wickets: 1-44 (BA Pocock), 2-44 (CM Spearman), 3-89 (MJ Horne), 4-96 (NJ Astle), 5-135 (SP Fleming), 6-146 (CL Cairns), 7-189 (CZ Harris), 8-198 (DL Vettori), 9-204 (SB O'Connor), 10-207 (HT Davis)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Harris b O'Connor571662212034.33c Fleming b O'Connor15124033512362.91c †Parore b O'Connor2035611057.14run out (O'Connor)416160025.00c Fleming b Davis2149832042.85c Davis b Astle1570020.00c Horne b Davis1721351080.95run out (Harris)059000.00c & b Astle1618231088.88not out47180057.14Extras20 (lb 12, nb 8)TOTAL311/9d (91.5 Overs, RR: 3.38)Fall of wickets: 1-156 (GJ Rennie), 2-218 (A Flower), 3-231 (GJ Whittall), 4-263 (GW Flower), 5-264 (DL Houghton), 6-290 (PA Strang), 7-290 (ADR Campbell), 8-290 (HH Streak), 9-311 (JA Rennie)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRlbw b Streak521572086033.12c †A Flower b Huckle3366786050.00c †A Flower b Strang034000.00lbw b Strang2790971030.00c GW Flower b Strang033000.00not out712382567129.83lbw b Huckle51537310096.22lbw b Streak4181895050.61c GJ Rennie b Huckle1349490026.53not out13126003.22Extras15 (b 6, lb 6, nb 2, w 1)TOTAL304/8 (128 Overs, RR: 2.37)Fall of wickets: 1-63 (CM Spearman), 2-64 (MJ Horne), 3-116 (SP Fleming), 4-116 (NJ Astle), 5-122 (BA Pocock), 6-200 (AC Parore), 7-266 (CZ Harris), 8-296 (DL Vettori)
New Zealand , elected to field first
Player Of The Match
2-match series level 0-0
18,19,20,21,22 September 1997 (5-day match)
- Thu, 18 Sep - day 1 - Zimbabwe 1st innings 205/4 (GW Flower 85*, DL Houghton 20*, )
- Fri, 19 Sep - day 2 - New Zealand 1st innings 91/3 (SP Fleming 20*, NJ Astle 2*, )
- Sat, 20 Sep - day 3 - Zimbabwe 2nd innings 115/0 (GJ Rennie 45*, GW Flower 60*, )
- Sun, 21 Sep - day 4 - New Zealand 2nd innings 64/2 (BA Pocock 30*, )
- Mon, 22 Sep - day 5 - New Zealand 2nd innings 304/8 (128 ov) - end of match
- GW Flower becomes the first player to score a century in each innings of a Test for Zimbabwe.
- GJ Rennie and GW Flower's 156 set a new record partnership for the 1st wicket for Zimbabwe in Tests (previous: GW Flower and SV Carlisle, Zimbabwe v New Zealand at Auckland, 1995-96).
- GW Flower (1430 runs) becomes Zimbabwe's highest Test run-scorer (previous: DL Houghton 1419 runs)
- SP Fleming 7 catches in the match, equals the record for most catches by a fielder in a Test (also: GS Chappell, Aus v Eng at Perth, 2nd Test, 1974/75; Yajurvindra Singh, Ind v Eng at Bangalore, 4th Test, 1976/77; HP Tillakaratne, SL v NZ at Colombo, 2nd Test, 1992/93); new record for New Zealand (previous - 6 catches: BA Young v Pak at Auckland, 1st Test, 1993/94).
- SP Fleming 5 catches, equals the record for most catches by a fielder in a Test innings (also: VY Richardson, Aus v SA at Durban, 5th test, 1935/36; Yajurvindra Singh, Ind v Eng at Bangalore, 4th Test, 1976/77; M Azharuddin, Ind v Pak at Karachi, 1st Test, 1989/90; K Srikkanth, Ind v Aus at Perth, 5th Test, 1991/92); new Test record for New Zealand (previous - 4 catches: JJ Crowe v WI at Bridgetown, 3rd Test, 1984/85; MD Crowe v WI at Kingston, 4th Test, 1984/85).
- 1 hour and 15 minutes were lost to rain on the first morning
- First time 3 pairs of brothers have appeared on the same team in a Test (A & GW Flower, PA & BC Strang, JA & GJ Rennie).