- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Jayawardene b Pushpakumara758380018.42c †Kaluwitharana b Vaas11125020013255.50c & b Jayasuriya6925019710035.02c Jayawardene b Muralitharan14329224720057.89c & b Muralitharan12629019911063.31c Mahanama b Jayasuriya055000.00not out27111762035.52c Vaas b Jayasuriya2344493146.93c Atapattu b Pushpakumara924100190.00Extras22 (b 10, nb 12)TOTAL537/8d (167.3 Overs, RR: 3.20)Fall of wickets: 1-36 (NR Mongia, ), 2-183 (NS Sidhu, ), 3-230 (R Dravid, ), 4-451 (SR Tendulkar, ), 5-451 (SC Ganguly, ), 6-479 (M Azharuddin, ), 7-516 (RK Chauhan, ), 8-537 (A Kuruvilla, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Ganguly b Chauhan34079957836258.82c †Mongia b Kulkarni2642315083.87lbw b Kumble22575356127040.10c Prasad b Ganguly12629321116059.71run out (sub [A Jadeja]/†Mongia)8615011014078.18c Kulkarni b Ganguly6613310510062.85not out1442271051.85not out1136240045.83Extras58 (b 28, lb 9, nb 14, w 7)TOTAL952/6d (271 Overs, RR: 3.51)Fall of wickets: 1-39 (MS Atapattu, ), 2-615 (RS Mahanama, ), 3-615 (ST Jayasuriya, ), 4-790 (A Ranatunga, ), 5-921 (DPMD Jayawardene, ), 6-924 (PA de Silva, )
India , elected to bat first
Player Of The Match
2-match series level 0-0
2,3,4,5,6 August 1997 (5-day match)
- Sat, 2 Aug - day 1 - India 1st innings 280/3 (SR Tendulkar 65*, M Azharuddin 18*)
- Sun, 3 Aug - day 2 - Sri Lanka 1st innings 39/1 (ST Jayasuriya 12*)
- Mon, 4 Aug - day 3 - Sri Lanka 1st innings 322/1 (ST Jayasuriya 175*, RS Mahanama 115*)
- Tue, 5 Aug - day 4 - Sri Lanka 1st innings 587/1 (ST Jayasuriya 326*, RS Mahanama 211*)
- Wed, 6 Aug - day 5 - Sri Lanka 1st innings 952/6d (271 ov) - end of match
- ST Jayasuriya 340 off 578 balls, 36x4 2x6. * 50 off 71 balls, 9x4. * 100 off 138 balls, 14x4. * 150 off 235 balls, 19x4. * 200 off 327 balls, 25x4. * Highest Test score in Sri Lanka (previous: DSBP Kuruppu 201*, Sri Lanka v New Zealand at Colombo (CCC), 1986/87). * Personal High Score in First-class cricket (previous: 207* for Sri Lanka 'B' v Pakistan 'B', 1988/89) * 250 off 425 balls, 29x4. * Highest Test score by a Sri Lankan (previous: PA de Silva 267 v New Zealand at Wellington, 1990/91). * Highest First-class score by a Sri Lankan * Highest First-class score in Sri Lanka (previous: FMM Worrell 285, Commonwealth v Ceylon at Colombo, 1950/51). * 300 off 518 balls, 32x4, 1x6. * First ever Sri Lankan to score 300 runs in a Test innings. * Highest Test score against India (previous: GA Gooch 333, England v India at Lord's, 1990). * 4th Highest score in Test history (Highest: BC Lara 375, West Indies v England at St John's, 1993/94).
- RS Mahanama 225 off 561 balls, 27x4 0x6 * 100 off 244 balls, 10x4 * 150 off 346 balls, 18x4 * Personal High score in First-class cricket (previous: 153 for Sri Lanka v New Zealand at Moratuwa, 1992/93). * 200 off 480 balls, 22x4
- ST Jayasuriya and RS Mahanama partnership: 576 runs * Highest Test partnership for any wicket for Sri Lanka (previous: 240* for the 4th wicket, AP Gurusinha and A Ranatunga, v Pakistan at Colombo (PSS), 1985/86). * Highest Test partnership for any wicket in Sri Lanka (previous: 246* for the 6th wicket, JJ Crowe and RJ Hadlee, New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Colombo (CCC), 1986/87). * Highest First-class partnership for the 2nd wicket in Sri Lanka (previous: 289 WAMP Perera and TP Kodikara, Antonians v Rio SC at Colombo, 1992/93). * Highest First-class partnership for any wicket in Sri Lanka (previous: 315 for the 3rd wicket, ST Perera and RS Kalpage, Bloomfield v Antonians at Colombo, 1995/96). * Highest Test partnership for the 2nd wicket (previous: 451 WH Ponsford and DG Bradman, Australia v England at The Oval, 1934). * Highest Test partnership for any wicket against India (previous: 451 Javed Miandad and Mudassar Nazar at Hyderabad, 1982/83). * Highest Test partnership for any wicket (previous: 467 MD Crowe and AH Jones, New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Wellington, 1990/91). * Highest First-class partnership for the 2nd wicket (previous: 475 Zahir Alam and LS Rajput, Assam v Tripura at Gauhati, 1991/92). * Longest Test partnership for any wicket (previous: 579 minutes, GStA Sobers and FMM Worrell, West Indies v England at Bridgetown, 1959/60). * First ever 500 run Test partnership * First time a partnership remained unbroken throughout 2 complete days of Test cricket. * (Note: Sobers and Worrell in 1959/60 batted throughout 2 days with an hour lost to rain.) * 2nd highest partnership for any wicket in First-class cricket (Highest: 577, VS Hazare and Gul Mahomed, Baroda v Holkar at Baroda, 1946/47).
- Sri Lanka team total * Highest Test score with only 1 wicket fallen (previous: 533/1, West Indies v Pakistan at Kingston, 1957/58). * Highest Test score for Sri Lanka (previous: 547/8 v Australia at Colombo (SSC), 1992/93). * Highest First-class score in Sri Lanka (previous: 549/8d, West Indies v Ceylon at Colombo, 1966/67). * Highest Test score against India (previous: 699/5, Pakistan v India at Lahore, 1989/90). * Highest team total in a Test match (previous: 903/7d, England v Australia at The Oval, 1938). * 3rd highest team total in First-class cricket (Highest: 1107, Victoria v New South Wales at Melbourne, 1926/27).
- Mahanama had an all run 4.
- ST Jayasuriya and RS Mahanama batted throughout the full day. This was the 12th occasion in Test cricket.
- Tendulkar had an all run 4 (due to overthrows).
- NM Kulkarni took the wicket of MS Atapattu with his first ball in Test cricket. This was the 12th occasion in Test cricket.