- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Jayawardene b Pushpakumara738580018.42c †Kaluwitharana b Vaas11120025013255.50c & b Jayasuriya6919725010035.02c Jayawardene b Muralitharan14324729220057.89c & b Muralitharan12619929011063.31c Mahanama b Jayasuriya055000.00not out27761112035.52c Vaas b Jayasuriya2349443146.93c Atapattu b Pushpakumara910240190.00Extras22 (b 10, nb 12)TOTAL537/8d (167.3 Overs, RR: 3.2)Fall of wickets: 1-36 (NR Mongia, ), 2-183 (NS Sidhu, ), 3-230 (R Dravid, ), 4-451 (SR Tendulkar, ), 5-451 (SC Ganguly, ), 6-479 (M Azharuddin, ), 7-516 (RK Chauhan, ), 8-537 (A Kuruvilla, )
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Ganguly b Chauhan34057879936258.82c †Mongia b Kulkarni2631425083.87lbw b Kumble22556175327040.10c Prasad b Ganguly12621129316059.71run out (sub [Jadeja]/†Mongia)8611015014078.18c Kulkarni b Ganguly6610513310062.85not out1427421051.85not out1124360045.83Extras58 (b 28, lb 9, nb 14, w 7)TOTAL952/6d (271 Overs, RR: 3.51)Fall of wickets: 1-39 (MS Atapattu, ), 2-615 (RS Mahanama, ), 3-615 (ST Jayasuriya, ), 4-790 (A Ranatunga, ), 5-921 (DPMD Jayawardene, ), 6-924 (PA de Silva, )
India , elected to bat first
Player Of The Match
2-match series level 0-0
2,3,4,5,6 August 1997 (5-day match)
- Sat, 02 Aug - day 1 - India 1st innings 280/3 (SR Tendulkar 65*, M Azharuddin 18*, )
- Sun, 03 Aug - day 2 - Sri Lanka 1st innings 39/1 (ST Jayasuriya 12*, )
- Mon, 04 Aug - day 3 - Sri Lanka 1st innings 322/1 (ST Jayasuriya 175*, RS Mahanama 115*, )
- Tue, 05 Aug - day 4 - Sri Lanka 1st innings 587/1 (ST Jayasuriya 326*, RS Mahanama 211*, )
- Wed, 06 Aug - day 5 - Sri Lanka 1st innings 952/6d (271 ov) - end of match
- ST Jayasuriya 340 off 578 balls, 36x4 2x6. * 50 off 71 balls, 9x4. * 100 off 138 balls, 14x4. * 150 off 235 balls, 19x4. * 200 off 327 balls, 25x4. * Highest Test score in Sri Lanka (previous: DSBP Kuruppu 201*, Sri Lanka v New Zealand at Colombo (CCC), 1986/87). * Personal High Score in First-class cricket (previous: 207* for Sri Lanka 'B' v Pakistan 'B', 1988/89) * 250 off 425 balls, 29x4. * Highest Test score by a Sri Lankan (previous: PA de Silva 267 v New Zealand at Wellington, 1990/91). * Highest First-class score by a Sri Lankan * Highest First-class score in Sri Lanka (previous: FMM Worrell 285, Commonwealth v Ceylon at Colombo, 1950/51). * 300 off 518 balls, 32x4, 1x6. * First ever Sri Lankan to score 300 runs in a Test innings. * Highest Test score against India (previous: GA Gooch 333, England v India at Lord's, 1990). * 4th Highest score in Test history (Highest: BC Lara 375, West Indies v England at St John's, 1993/94).
- RS Mahanama 225 off 561 balls, 27x4 0x6 * 100 off 244 balls, 10x4 * 150 off 346 balls, 18x4 * Personal High score in First-class cricket (previous: 153 for Sri Lanka v New Zealand at Moratuwa, 1992/93). * 200 off 480 balls, 22x4
- ST Jayasuriya and RS Mahanama partnership: 576 runs * Highest Test partnership for any wicket for Sri Lanka (previous: 240* for the 4th wicket, AP Gurusinha and A Ranatunga, v Pakistan at Colombo (PSS), 1985/86). * Highest Test partnership for any wicket in Sri Lanka (previous: 246* for the 6th wicket, JJ Crowe and RJ Hadlee, New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Colombo (CCC), 1986/87). * Highest First-class partnership for the 2nd wicket in Sri Lanka (previous: 289 WAMP Perera and TP Kodikara, Antonians v Rio SC at Colombo, 1992/93). * Highest First-class partnership for any wicket in Sri Lanka (previous: 315 for the 3rd wicket, ST Perera and RS Kalpage, Bloomfield v Antonians at Colombo, 1995/96). * Highest Test partnership for the 2nd wicket (previous: 451 WH Ponsford and DG Bradman, Australia v England at The Oval, 1934). * Highest Test partnership for any wicket against India (previous: 451 Javed Miandad and Mudassar Nazar at Hyderabad, 1982/83). * Highest Test partnership for any wicket (previous: 467 MD Crowe and AH Jones, New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Wellington, 1990/91). * Highest First-class partnership for the 2nd wicket (previous: 475 Zahir Alam and LS Rajput, Assam v Tripura at Gauhati, 1991/92). * Longest Test partnership for any wicket (previous: 579 minutes, GStA Sobers and FMM Worrell, West Indies v England at Bridgetown, 1959/60). * First ever 500 run Test partnership * First time a partnership remained unbroken throughout 2 complete days of Test cricket. * (Note: Sobers and Worrell in 1959/60 batted throughout 2 days with an hour lost to rain.) * 2nd highest partnership for any wicket in First-class cricket (Highest: 577, VS Hazare and Gul Mahomed, Baroda v Holkar at Baroda, 1946/47).
- Sri Lanka team total * Highest Test score with only 1 wicket fallen (previous: 533/1, West Indies v Pakistan at Kingston, 1957/58). * Highest Test score for Sri Lanka (previous: 547/8 v Australia at Colombo (SSC), 1992/93). * Highest First-class score in Sri Lanka (previous: 549/8d, West Indies v Ceylon at Colombo, 1966/67). * Highest Test score against India (previous: 699/5, Pakistan v India at Lahore, 1989/90). * Highest team total in a Test match (previous: 903/7d, England v Australia at The Oval, 1938). * 3rd highest team total in First-class cricket (Highest: 1107, Victoria v New South Wales at Melbourne, 1926/27).
- Mahanama had an all run 4.
- ST Jayasuriya and RS Mahanama batted throughout the full day. This was the 12th occasion in Test cricket.
- Tendulkar had an all run 4 (due to overthrows).
- NM Kulkarni took the wicket of MS Atapattu with his first ball in Test cricket. This was the 12th occasion in Test cricket.
Steven Lynch on the Test in which batting records tumbled