- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Butcher b Malcolm723161043.75b Gough618131046.15c Hussain b Gough735150046.66b Gough523251020.00c †Stewart b Caddick1231203060.00c Ealham b Malcolm831211038.09c †Stewart b Caddick021000.00lbw b Caddick41381050.00c Malcolm b Caddick47624680102.17c Butcher b Caddick1742283060.71not out1930033.33Extras4 (nb 2, w 2)TOTAL118 all out (31.5 Overs, RR: 3.70)Fall of wickets: 1-11 (MTG Elliott, ), 2-15 (MA Taylor, ), 3-26 (ME Waugh, ), 4-28 (GS Blewett, ), 5-48 (SR Waugh, ), 6-48 (IA Healy, ), 7-48 (MG Bevan, ), 8-54 (JN Gillespie, ), 9-110 (MS Kasprowicz, ), 10-118 (SK Warne, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Healy b Kasprowicz816132061.53c †Healy b McGrath21040050.00c Elliott b Gillespie1852333054.54c †Healy b Warne20743733738061.42c Bevan b McGrath13829024519056.32c †Healy b Kasprowicz11914007.14not out531711317040.45c †Healy b Kasprowicz2470564042.85c †Healy b Kasprowicz089000.00lbw b Bevan0117000.00Extras27 (b 4, lb 7, nb 15, w 1)TOTAL478/9d (138.4 Overs, RR: 3.44)Fall of wickets: 1-8 (MA Atherton, ), 2-16 (MA Butcher, ), 3-50 (AJ Stewart, ), 4-338 (GP Thorpe, ), 5-345 (JP Crawley, ), 6-416 (N Hussain, ), 7-460 (RDB Croft, ), 8-463 (D Gough, ), 9-478 (AR Caddick, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRb Croft6614511312058.40c & b Croft12939629611143.58c Butcher b Croft12530022819154.82lbw b Gough331351003033.00c Hussain b Gough2445414058.53c †Stewart b Gough1870014.28c Atherton b Ealham3066485062.50c & b Ealham3251345094.11c Butcher b Ealham012000.00run out (Crawley/Gough)0116000.00not out01000-Extras37 (b 18, lb 12, nb 5, w 2)TOTAL477 all out (144.4 Overs, RR: 3.29)Fall of wickets: 1-133 (MTG Elliott, ), 2-327 (MA Taylor, ), 3-354 (GS Blewett, ), 4-393 (MG Bevan, ), 5-399 (ME Waugh, ), 6-431 (SR Waugh, ), 7-465 (IA Healy, ), 8-465 (MS Kasprowicz, ), 9-477 (JN Gillespie, ), 10-477 (SK Warne, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRlbw b Kasprowicz14151020140.00not out5787659087.69not out4071547074.07Extras8 (b 4, lb 4)TOTAL119/1 (21.3 Overs, RR: 5.53)Fall of wickets: 1-29 (MA Butcher, )
Australia , elected to bat first
Player Of The Match
England led the 6-match series 1-0
5,6,7,8 June 1997 (5-day match)
- Thu, 5 Jun - day 1 - England 1st innings 200/3 (N Hussain 80*, GP Thorpe 83*)
- Fri, 6 Jun - day 2 - England 1st innings 449/6 (MA Ealham 32*, RDB Croft 18*)
- Sat, 7 Jun - day 3 - Australia 2nd innings 256/1 (MA Taylor 108*, GS Blewett 61*)
- Sun, 8 Jun - day 4 - England 2nd innings 119/1 (21.3 ov) - end of match
- A thunderstorm stopped play for 50 minutes with Australia on 399/5.
- Bevan was the runner for Gillespie and was involved in the mixup in Gillespie's run out.
- Mark Waugh was taken to hospital with stomach pains.
- Highest test scores for both Hussain and Thorpe.
- Record 4th wicket partnership for England v Australia, by Hussain and Thorpe, 288 (off 461 balls in 294 mins), beating the previous mark of 222 (Hammond and Paynter, Lords, 1938).
- Rain stopped play 78 minutes before the scheduled close.
- Gillespie injured (hamstring) after bowling 10 overs.