- BATSMENRB4s6sSRc Blewett b McGrath5261019.23c Taylor b McGrath124004.16b McGrath113007.69lbw b McGrath19732026.02c Blewett b Reiffel21494042.85c †Healy b McGrath117005.88c Elliott b Reiffel7301023.33c †Healy b McGrath2130015.38c †Healy b McGrath101020100.00lbw b McGrath150020.00not out0000-Extras9 (b 4, nb 5)TOTAL77 all out (42.3 Overs)
Bowling O M R W Econ WD NB GD McGrath 20.3 8 38 8 1.85 0 0 PR Reiffel 15.0 9 17 2 1.13 0 3 MS Kasprowicz 5.0 1 9 0 1.80 0 2 SK Warne 2.0 0 9 0 4.50 0 0 Fall of wickets:1-11 (MA Butcher, ), 2-12 (MA Atherton, ), 3-13 (AJ Stewart, ), 4-47 (GP Thorpe, ), 5-56 (JP Crawley, ), 6-62 (N Hussain, ), 7-66 (RDB Croft, ), 8-76 (D Gough, ), 9-77 (MA Ealham, ), 10-77 (AR Caddick, )
- BATSMENRB4s6sSRb Gough115006.66c Crawley b Caddick11218020062.22c Hussain b Croft45707064.28c Malcolm b Caddick33601055.00c Hussain b Gough04000.00lbw b Caddick01000.00c †Stewart b Caddick471057.14not out13232056.52not out160016.66Extras4 (b 1, lb 3)TOTAL213/7d (61 Overs)
- BATSMENRB4s6sSRb Warne8721014041.42hit wicket b Kasprowicz7715910048.42c Kasprowicz b McGrath13242054.16c & b Warne05000.00not out30394076.92not out29454064.44Extras30 (b 8, lb 14, nb 7, w 1)TOTAL266/4d (79 Overs)
- Lord's Cricket Ground, St John's Wood, London NW8 8QN. (Phone: 020 7616 8500)
Australia , elected to field first
England led the 6-match series 1-0
Player of the match
- Rain stopped play after 21 overs. England 38/3 (Hussain 10*, Thorpe 13*).
- England's total of 77 is their lowest at Lord's since 1888, their lowest against Australia since 1948, and their lowest in any Test innings since 1993-94.
- GD McGrath 8-38:
- * His personal best bowling in Test and first-class cricket;
- * The 23rd best individual bowling by any player in Test cricket;
- * The 3rd best innings performance by an Australian in a Test. (Best since Arthur Mailey took 9-121 v England at Melbourne, 1920-21);
- * The best individual bowling by an Australian in an innings at Lord's (previously 8-53 by Bob Massie, 1972);
- * The best individual bowling for either side in an Ashes Test at Lord's (previously Hedley Verity, 1934);
- * The second-best bowling in an innings of a Lord's Test (best 8-34 by Ian Botham v Pakistan, 1978</a>).
- Australia 1st Innings: Crawley kept wicket while Stewart was off the field at the start of the innings (back spasms).
- No Play was possible due to rain.