- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRnot out26760542237063.27c Mahanama b Vaas1885640028.12c Mahanama b Ranatunga661431088161.11c Zoysa b Wickramasinghe5169598086.44b Vaas2754485056.25c Mahanama b Vaas11413007.69c Mahanama b Zoysa701411239156.91c Wickramasinghe b Vaas1945283067.85not out3047421171.42Extras37 (lb 14, nb 21, w 2)TOTAL586/7d (146 Overs, RR: 4.01)Fall of wickets: 1-55 (BA Pocock, ), 2-195 (MJ Horne, ), 3-271 (SP Fleming, ), 4-337 (NJ Astle, ), 5-343 (DL Vettori, ), 6-466 (CL Cairns, ), 7-512 (AC Parore, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRb Doull0127000.00lbw b Doull26102752034.66lbw b Doull2582663037.87c Patel b Davis3440075.00c Young b Doull1448401035.00not out552461608034.37c Fleming b Patel4381505086.00c Horne b Patel218170011.76c †Parore b Davis4377766056.57c Young b Davis0117000.00c Cairns b Doull01310000.00Extras11 (lb 10, w 1)TOTAL222 all out (85.2 Overs, RR: 2.60)Fall of wickets: 1-4 (ST Jayasuriya, ), 2-55 (MS Atapattu, ), 3-58 (RS Mahanama, ), 4-58 (PA de Silva, ), 5-79 (A Ranatunga, ), 6-135 (RS Kaluwitharana, ), 7-141 (WPUJC Vaas, ), 8-214 (GP Wickramasinghe, ), 9-215 (DNT Zoysa, ), 10-222 (M Muralitharan, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Parore b Doull50111686073.52b Doull2165463045.65b Patel2288572038.59lbw b Astle02014000.00c Horne b Vettori1358451028.88run out (sub [CZ Harris])861550014.54c & b Vettori103134103132100.00c & b Davis57130977158.76c Doull b Astle058000.00not out16331630100.00c & b Doull26181441185.71Extras12 (lb 9, nb 3)TOTAL328 all out (f/o) (86.3 Overs, RR: 3.79)Fall of wickets: 1-49 (RS Mahanama, ), 2-82 (ST Jayasuriya, ), 3-85 (PA de Silva, ), 4-99 (MS Atapattu, ), 5-115 (A Ranatunga, ), 6-133 (HP Tillakaratne, ), 7-270 (RS Kaluwitharana, ), 8-271 (GP Wickramasinghe, ), 9-285 (WPUJC Vaas, ), 10-328 (M Muralitharan, )
Sri Lanka , elected to field first
Player Of The Match
New Zealand led the 2-match series 1-0
7,8,9,10 March 1997 (5-day match)
- Fri, 7 Mar - day 1 - New Zealand 1st innings 343/4 (BA Young 154*, DL Vettori 1*)
- Sat, 8 Mar - day 2 - Sri Lanka 1st innings 78/4 (A Ranatunga 13*, HP Tillakaratne 7*)
- Sun, 9 Mar - day 3 - Sri Lanka 2nd innings 37/0 (ST Jayasuriya 20*, RS Mahanama 15*)
- Mon, 10 Mar - day 4 - Sri Lanka 2nd innings 328 (86.3 ov) - end of match
- Lunch: SL 102/4 (Ranatunga 4*, Tillakaratne 1*)
- Tea: SL 221/6 (Kaluwitharana 71*, Vaas 28*)
- RS Kaluwitharana dropped by SB Doull (caught and bowled) with his score on 2 and Sri Lanka at 120/5.
- RS Kaluwitharana 50 off 46 balls, 68 mins, 8x4, 1x6. 4th Test 50.
- RS Kaluwitharana 100 off 98 balls, 130 mins, 15x4, 2x6. 2nd Test 100.
- WPUJC Vaas 50 off 94 balls, 128 mins, 6x4, 1x6.
- Record 7th wicket partnership for Sri Lanka v New Zealand set by RS Kaluwitharana and WPUCJ Vaas of 138 (previous best: 89 by CI Dunusinghe and WPUCJ Vaas at Napier in 1994-95).
- M Muralitharan 26 is his highest Test score (previous best: 20* v Pakistan at PSS, Colombo in 1994-95).
- BA Young was on the field for every ball of the match.
- New Zealand's 1st win at home since 1993-94 v Pakistan at Christchurch (NZ won by 5 wickets, BA Young also scoring 120).
- New Zealand's 35th Test win and 5th against Sri Lanka in 14 Tests between the 2 countries (NZ's best record against any country on winning percentage of Tests played). It is the 7th innings victory in Tests by New Zealand and 3rd against Sri Lanka.
- Lunch: SL 150/7 (Tillakaratne 30*, Wickramasinghe 2*)
- Tea: SL 222 (Tillakaratne 55*)
- HP Tillakaratne 50 off 142 balls, 208 mins, 8x4.
- New 8th wicket partnership record for Sri Lanka v New Zealand set by HP Tillekeratne and GP Wickremasinghe of 73 (previous best: 69 by HP Tillekeratne and SD Anurasiri at SSCG, Colombo in 1992-93).
- GP Wickramasinghe 43 is his highest score in Tests (previous best: 28 v Australia at Perth, 1995-96).
- SB Doull's 5-58 is his 5th 5-wicket bag and 3rd this season. It is the 3rd best innings haul by a New Zealander against Sri Lanka.
- New Zealand captain SP Fleming enforced Sri Lanka to follow-on It is only the 8th time in 251 Tests played by New Zealand that they have had the opportunity to enforce the follow-on (7th occasion that they did so). 364 runs represents the 2nd largest 1st innings lead by New Zealand in Tests (highest: 374 v Australia at Brisbane in 1985-86).
- Tea taken early at the conclusion of the Sri Lankan 1st innings thus extending the final session by 30 minutes.
- Rain ended play for the day after 9.4 overs of the 39 minimum to be bowled.
- Lunch: NZ 433/5 (Young 187*, Cairns 50*)
- Tea: NZ 586/7 dec. (Young 267*, Patel 30*)
- CL Cairns 50 off 96 balls, 119 mins, 6x4, 1x6. 9th Test 50 and 3rd in consecutive innings.
- BA Young dropped by RS Mahanama at 2nd slip off the bowling of DNT Zoysa with his score on 155 and New Zealand at 349/5.
- BA Young 200 off 355 balls, 519 mins, 29x4. 7th ever double century by a New Zealander in Tests and 6th New Zealand player to achieve it.
- RS Mahanama 4 catches in New Zealand's 1st innings equals the Sri Lankan Test record already held by himself and HP Tillakaratne.
- 9th occasion New Zealand scores over 500 (previous occasion: 671/4 dec. v Sri Lanka at Wellington in 1990-91).
- BA Young 250 off 406 balls, 595 mins, 36x4. 3rd ever New Zealander to achieve this score.
- DN Patel dropped by ST Jayasuriya at gully off the bowling of DNT Zoysa with his score on 22 and New Zealand at 565/7.
- BA Young 267* (off 421 balls, 605 mins, 37x4) is the 2nd highest ever individual score by a New Zealander in Tests (highest: MD Crowe 299 v Sri Lanka at Wellington in 1990-91) and also 2nd highest ever by any player against Sri Lanka (highest: same as above). It is the 28th highest individual innings in Test history and largest score since BC Lara's 375 for West Indies v England at St Johns in 1993-94. It is the highest ever score by a New Zealand opener (previous best: GM Turner 259 v West Indies at Georgetown in 1971-72). It is the highest score by any player made at Carisbrook, Dunedin (previous best: 201 by Mushtaq Mohammad for Pakistan in 1971-72, previous New Zealand best: 143 by GT Dowling v India in 1967-69). Also it is the 2nd best aggregate runs scored in a match by a New Zealander (best: MD Crowe 329 [30 & 299] v Sri Lanka at Wellington in 1990-91).
- New Zealand's 586/7 dec. is their 2nd highest ever total in Tests (highest: 671/4 dec. v Sri Lanka at Wellington in 1990-91). It is also the 2nd ever highest total against Sri Lanka (highest: same as above). It is the highest ever total by any side at Carisbrook, Dunedin (previous best: Pakistan 507/6 dec. in 1972-93; previous New Zealand best: 350 v India in 1967-68).
- Lunch: NZ 92/1 (Young 41*, Horne 17*)
- Tea: NZ 203/2 (Young 94*, Fleming 3*)
- BA Young 50 off 105 balls, 6x4. 11th Test 50.
- MJ Horne 50 off 80 balls, 9x4, 1x6. Maiden Test 50 in his 2nd Test.
- BA Young and MJ Horne set a new record 2nd wicket partnership for New Zealand v Sri Lanka of 141 (previous best: 76 by JG Wright and AH Jones at Auckland in 1990/91).
- BA Young 100 off 203 balls, 273 mins, 16x4. 2nd Test 100.
- SP Fleming 50 off 54 balls, 8x4, 12th Test 50.
- Play ended 3.2 overs early due to rain but came back 23 mins after the scheduled close of play to complete them.
- BA Young 150 off 253 balls, 23x4. Test 150. First time a New Zealand batsman has scored 150 since AH Jones v Sri Lanka at Wellington in 1990/91.