- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRb Cork1111920100.00c Atherton b Croft2265961033.84c Thorpe b Gough421241534033.87st †Stewart b Croft621672186037.12c Hussain b Croft1523371065.21c Hussain b Croft591672164135.32c †Stewart b Caddick571261584145.23run out (Tufnell)15130020.00run out (Thorpe)2559722042.37c Hussain b Croft831460025.80not out818141044.44Extras36 (b 1, lb 16, nb 19)TOTAL346 all out (129.1 Overs, RR: 2.67, 522 minutes)Fall of wickets: 1-14 (BA Young), 2-78 (BA Pocock), 3-106 (MJ Horne), 4-137 (NJ Astle), 5-201 (SP Fleming), 6-283 (AC Parore), 7-288 (SB Doull), 8-310 (CL Cairns), 9-337 (DL Vettori), 10-346 (HT Davis)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Fleming b Allott1422252063.63not out9423534610040.00c sub (CZ Harris) b Allott15101430150.00c †Parore b Cairns1234451035.29b Astle1849543036.73c †Parore b Allott1650016.66c †Parore b Davis1644602036.36c Davis b Astle3167835046.26b Vettori098000.00c sub (CZ Harris) b Allott423260017.39c Young b Doull1315162086.66Extras10 (lb 4, nb 5, w 1)TOTAL228 all out (84.4 Overs, RR: 2.69, 346 minutes)Fall of wickets: 1-20 (NV Knight), 2-40 (AJ Stewart), 3-70 (N Hussain), 4-103 (GP Thorpe), 5-104 (JP Crawley), 6-145 (DG Cork), 7-198 (RDB Croft), 8-199 (D Gough), 9-210 (AR Caddick), 10-228 (PCR Tufnell)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRb Cork042000.00c Knight b Tufnell491351655036.29c †Stewart b Gough855830014.54c Knight b Tufnell1134301032.35c Hussain b Croft536371013.88c Knight b Tufnell521061334149.05c Knight b Croft519221026.31c †Stewart b Caddick1332291040.62not out29781035037.17b Gough12523004.00c †Stewart b Gough1128008.33Extras12 (lb 8, nb 4)TOTAL186 all out (88.3 Overs, RR: 2.1, 322 minutes)Fall of wickets: 1-0 (BA Pocock), 2-42 (AC Parore), 3-61 (SP Fleming), 4-76 (NJ Astle), 5-80 (BA Young), 6-89 (SB Doull), 7-107 (MJ Horne), 8-178 (CL Cairns), 9-184 (HT Davis), 10-186 (GI Allott)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Davis b Vettori29801072036.25c †Parore b Astle11831139811037.94c Pocock b Vettori171081151015.74c Fleming b Doull1552630128.84c Fleming b Vettori33881123037.50c & b Vettori28110025.00not out401131495035.39not out391231405031.70Extras14 (b 2, lb 8, nb 3, w 1)TOTAL307/6 (146.4 Overs, RR: 2.09)Fall of wickets: 1-64 (NV Knight), 2-116 (AJ Stewart), 3-146 (AR Caddick), 4-226 (MA Atherton), 5-226 (N Hussain), 6-231 (GP Thorpe)
England , elected to field first
Player Of The Match
England won the 3-match series 2-0
14,15,16,17,18 February 1997 (5-day match)
- Fri, 14 Feb - day 1 - New Zealand 1st innings 229/5 (AC Parore 38*, CL Cairns 10*)
- Sat, 15 Feb - day 2 - England 1st innings 145/5 (MA Atherton 66*, DG Cork 16*)
- Sun, 16 Feb - day 3 - New Zealand 2nd innings 95/6 (CL Cairns 5*, MJ Horne 4*)
- Mon, 17 Feb - day 4 - England 2nd innings 118/2 (MA Atherton 65*, AR Caddick 0*)
- Tue, 18 Feb - day 5 - England 2nd innings 307/6 (146.4 ov) - end of match
- AR Caddick was given not out by DB Hair after trapping the ball between his pad and bat and then being caught by a close-in fielder. TV replays showed that the catch was fair
- Only the 2nd time England have chased more than 300 to win a Test, the other being 7/332 against Australia in 1928/29. It was the 15th time by any team, the most recent being Pakistan 9/315 against Australia at Karachi in 1994/95.
- The first time England have won consecutive Tests since a run of 4 wins in a row against West Indies, Sri Lanka, and 2 against New Zealand from Aug 1991 - Feb 1992.
- England's first overseas series win since 1991/92 in the corresponding series against New Zealand
- England finish their 5-Test winter season unbeaten. The last time this occured for 5 or more Tests was in 1970/71 when they were unbeaten in 8 Tests against Australia and New Zealand
- Lunch: NZ 186 (Vettori 29*)
- Tea: Eng 71/1 (Atherton 35*, Stewart 1*)
- CL Cairns brought up 1000 Test runs upon scoring his 50.
- Lunch: Eng 210/8 (Atherton 92*, Caddick 4*)
- MA Atherton carried his bat through the innings. This was the 8th time by an Englishman and the 35th occasion in Test history, the most recent being MH Dekker for Zimbabwe against Pakistan at Rawalpindi in 1993/94.
- BA Young dropped by Knight off Cork when 0
- Young was reported to the match referee for dissent after he refused to go when being given out. The match referee accepted his word that he didn't see the umpire giving him out.
- Lunch: NZ 319/8 (Vettori 9*, Davis 1*)
- Tea: Eng 64/2 (Atherton 24*, Hussain 11*)
- CL Cairns 50 off 107 balls, 137 mins, 4x4, 1x6.
- MA Atherton 50 off 107 balls, 170 mins, 6x4.
- Lunch: NZ 85/2 (Horne 31*, Fleming 2*)
- Tea: NZ 160/4 (Fleming 38*, Parore 9*)
- SP Fleming 50 off 127 balls, 161 mins, 6x4.
- MJ Horne fractured a metacarpal in his left hand after a delivery from D Gough and did not take the field.
- LK Germon withdrew from side with groin injury.
- SP Fleming became the youngest ever NZ captain at 23 years 320 days.