- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Atherton b Mullally11211009.09lbw b Caddick35122905038.88c †Russell b Cork14127920120270.14c Atherton b Mullally211100020.00b Cork551931433038.46c Thorpe b Cork512672204023.18c †Russell b Caddick717121058.33c †Russell b Cork10528219110154.97c Atherton b Caddick2083432046.51c & b Cork711111063.63not out031000.00Extras24 (b 4, lb 10, nb 10)TOTAL448 all out (153.2 Overs, RR: 2.92)Fall of wickets: 1-1 (Saeed Anwar, ), 2-98 (Shadab Kabir, ), 3-103 (Inzamam-ul-Haq, ), 4-233 (Ijaz Ahmed, ), 5-252 (Saleem Malik, ), 6-266 (Wasim Akram, ), 7-378 (Asif Mujtaba, ), 8-434 (Moin Khan, ), 9-444 (Waqar Younis, ), 10-448 (Mushtaq Ahmed, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Moin Khan b Wasim Akram1212132092.30c & b Mushtaq Ahmed17043731524053.96c & b Waqar Younis48108855056.47c Shadab Kabir b Mushtaq Ahmed1682542029.62c †Moin Khan b Ata-ur-Rehman531331155046.08c Mushtaq Ahmed b Waqar Younis11325917616064.20b Wasim Akram972491018.36b Mushtaq Ahmed957410021.95c Shadab Kabir b Wasim Akram2685713036.61b Waqar Younis4851080.00not out943230139.13Extras32 (b 7, lb 23, nb 2)TOTAL501 all out (156.5 Overs, RR: 3.19)Fall of wickets: 1-14 (MA Atherton, ), 2-121 (N Hussain, ), 3-168 (GP Thorpe, ), 4-257 (JP Crawley, ), 5-365 (AJ Stewart, ), 6-402 (RC Russell, ), 7-441 (CC Lewis, ), 8-465 (NV Knight, ), 9-471 (AR Caddick, ), 10-501 (DG Cork, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Russell b Cork2256453048.88c & b Lewis225130015.38c †Russell b Caddick522421502034.66c Stewart b Caddick6594839078.31c Cork b Caddick617181033.33run out (Atherton/Thorpe)2667642040.62lbw b Atherton754480014.58not out3052523057.69not out626270022.22Extras26 (b 4, lb 12, nb 10)TOTAL242/7d (81 Overs, RR: 2.98)Fall of wickets: 1-16 (Shadab Kabir, ), 2-34 (Saeed Anwar, ), 3-132 (Inzamam-ul-Haq, ), 4-142 (Saleem Malik, ), 5-188 (Asif Mujtaba, ), 6-201 (Ijaz Ahmed, ), 7-221 (Wasim Akram, )
England , elected to field first
Pakistan led the 3-match series 1-0
Player of the match
8,9,10,11,12 August 1996 (5-day match)
- Thu, 8 Aug - day 1 - Pakistan 1st innings 281/6 (Asif Mujtaba 19*, Moin Khan 8*)
- Fri, 9 Aug - day 2 - England 1st innings 104/1 (AJ Stewart 52*, N Hussain 32*)
- Sat, 10 Aug - day 3 - England 1st innings 373/5 (NV Knight 51*, RC Russell 0*)
- Sun, 11 Aug - day 4 - England 1st innings 501
- Mon, 12 Aug - day 5 - Pakistan 2nd innings 242/7d (81 ov) - end of match
- Shadab Kabir dropped by Thorpe at slip off Mullaly from the first ball he recieved.
- Third replacement ball (original out of shape) after 19.1 overs of the Pakistan 2nd innings.
- Saleem Malik reached 5001 runs in test cricket when he got to 6 runs with a boundary off Caddick. He became the third Pakistani batsman to cross 5000 runs after Zaheer Abbas and Javed Miandad.
- Ijaz Ahmed dropped by Hussain off Lewis, when on 32 and Pakistan total at 142/4.
- Atherton picks up his second test wicket in his career.
- Pakistan declared at 5.20pm.
- Man of the Match adjudicator: Mushtaq Mohammad
- Start of play delayed by 1 hour due to wet outfield.
- Maiden test century for Knight.
- Rain stops the play at 473/9 in 147.2 overs. Early Tea taken.
- Players came onto bat for the Pakistani innings, but went back due to poor light.
- Rain stops further play.
- Rain delays start of play by 60 minutes.
- Stewart's 8th test century, second against Pakistan.
- Stewart dropped by Wasim Akram off his own bowling when on 152, and England Total 329/4.
- 170 is the second highest score by Stewart. His highest score of 190 was also scored against Pakistan at Edgbaston in 1992.
- Bad light stopped the play.
- Moin Khan dropped at long-leg by Mullally off Caddick, when on 8.
- Moin Khan caught by Stewart off a no-ball from Mullally when on 18.
- Moin Khan dropped by Cork off his own bowling.
- Moin Khan's 3rd test century, first against England.
- Asif Mujtaba and Moin Khan set a record 7th wicket partnership of 122 runs for Pakistan against England. The previous best was 89 runs by Ijaz Ahmed and Salim Yousuf at The Oval in 1987.
- Russell picked up his 150th dismissal when he caught Moin Khan off the bowling of Cork.
- 3rd 5-wicket haul for Cork.
- Rain stopped play for 15 minutes with Pakistan 444-9.
- Highest score by Pakistan at Headingley.
- Ijaz Ahmed's 5th test century. First by a Pakistani at Headingley.
- Ijaz Ahmed was caught by Cork off a no-ball from Caddick when on 66, and Pakistan total at 113/3.
- When on 138, Ijaz Ahmed crossed his previous highest test score of 137 scored against Australia at Sydney, 1995-96.