- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRlbw b Srinath035000.00b Srinath20126813024.69c Rathour b Ganguly361691105032.72b Srinath8923817810050.00c Srinath b Ganguly11090011.11b Prasad1320050.00c Tendulkar b Prasad12437126113047.50c †Mongia b Prasad311541183026.27c †Mongia b Prasad02324000.00c Tendulkar b Prasad4981050.00not out053000.00Extras38 (b 13, lb 11, nb 14)TOTAL344 all out (130.3 Overs, RR: 2.63)Fall of wickets: 1-0 (MA Atherton, ), 2-67 (AJ Stewart, ), 3-98 (N Hussain, ), 4-102 (GA Hick, ), 5-107 (RC Irani, ), 6-243 (GP Thorpe, ), 7-326 (CC Lewis, ), 8-337 (DG Cork, ), 9-343 (PJ Martin, ), 10-344 (RC Russell, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Hussain b Cork1548322046.87lbw b Lewis24122953025.26b Mullally13143530120043.52b Lewis3181595052.54c †Russell b Mullally1653342047.05b Irani1094551018.18c †Russell b Lewis953632676035.58lbw b Martin14114801017.50b Mullally1962472040.42not out1573422035.71c Stewart b Cork417160025.00Extras55 (b 11, lb 25, nb 9, w 10)TOTAL429 all out (169.3 Overs, RR: 2.53)Fall of wickets: 1-25 (V Rathour, ), 2-59 (NR Mongia, ), 3-123 (SR Tendulkar, ), 4-154 (M Azharuddin, ), 5-202 (A Jadeja, ), 6-296 (SC Ganguly, ), 7-351 (A Kumble, ), 8-388 (J Srinath, ), 9-419 (R Dravid, ), 10-429 (BKV Prasad, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRb Kumble1774512033.33b Srinath661921368048.52c Dravid b Srinath2895693040.57c Rathour b Prasad23123973023.71c Rathour b Kumble2155493042.85c †Mongia b Prasad635241025.00b Mhambrey411381003041.00lbw b Ganguly381981372027.73not out2682612042.62c Azharuddin b Kumble1620050.00not out096000.00Extras11 (b 1, lb 5, nb 5)TOTAL278/9d (121 Overs, RR: 2.29)Fall of wickets: 1-49 (MA Atherton, ), 2-109 (N Hussain, ), 3-114 (AJ Stewart, ), 4-154 (GP Thorpe, ), 5-167 (GA Hick, ), 6-168 (PJ Martin, ), 7-228 (RC Irani, ), 8-274 (RC Russell, ), 9-275 (DG Cork, )
India , elected to field first
England led the 3-match series 1-0
Player of the match
20,21,22,23,24 June 1996 (5-day match)
- Thu, 20 Jun - day 1 - England 1st innings 238/5 (GP Thorpe 85*, RC Russell 69*)
- Fri, 21 Jun - day 2 - India 1st innings 83/2 (SC Ganguly 26*, SR Tendulkar 16*)
- Sat, 22 Jun - day 3 - India 1st innings 324/6 (R Dravid 56*, A Kumble 6*)
- Sun, 23 Jun - day 4 - England 2nd innings 113/2 (AJ Stewart 65*, PJ Martin 1*)
- Mon, 24 Jun - day 5 - England 2nd innings 278/9d (121 ov) - end of match
- England declared at 5:20, and the match was declared a draw.
- Third new ball taken at the beginning of 165th over, by Lewis.
- Dravid gets out on 90s in his debut innings, 25th player to do so.
- Tendulkar was dropped by Hick at second slip off the bowling of Lewis on the last ball of the very first over by Lewis in the morning.
- New ball taken on the 2nd ball of 84th over, bowled by Cork.
- Ganguly scores a century on debut 10th Indian player to score a century in his debut test, 7th Indian player to score a century in his debut innings 61st player (all countries) to score a century in debut test.
- Bad light stops the play when 4.5 overs were yet to be bowled.
- Russell scores his second century (after a gap of 7 years)
- Prasad picks up his maiden 5-wicket innings haul
- Tea taken immediately after the end of England innings
- 39 overs minimum to be bowled in the Indian innings
- Start of the match was delayed by 30 minutes.
- Ganguly takes a wicket off the 7th ball he bowled.
- Bad light ended the play when 10 more overs needed to be bowled.
- Last test match for Umpire HD Bird