- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Rhodes b DeFreitas29120016.66b Malcolm1652302053.33lbw b Benjamin38953820100.00lbw b Benjamin45118847053.57c †Rhodes b DeFreitas711111063.63retired hurt820141057.14c Hick b DeFreitas932691939048.18c †Rhodes b Benjamin58126896065.16c Hick b Benjamin011000.00c Stewart b DeFreitas1462502028.00not out1434211066.66Extras37 (b 8, lb 10, nb 18, w 1)TOTAL332 all out (92.2 Overs, RR: 3.59)Fall of wickets: 1-2 (G Kirsten, ), 2-43 (PN Kirsten, ), 3-73 (WJ Cronje, ), 4-85 (DJ Cullinan, ), 4-106 (JN Rhodes, ), 5-136 (KC Wessels, ), 6-260 (DJ Richardson, ), 7-266 (CR Matthews, ), 8-301 (PS de Villiers, ), 9-332 (BM McMillan, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Richardson b Donald861431018.60lbw b de Villiers051000.00b Donald39138854045.88b Matthews7915811511068.69b de Villiers621541067058.49c †Richardson b Donald527121041.66lbw b de Villiers1152331033.33run out37553141119.35not out4268476189.36lbw b de Villiers067000.00c sub (TG Shaw) b Matthews48410100.00Extras17 (b 1, nb 15, w 1)TOTAL304 all out (77 Overs, RR: 3.94)Fall of wickets: 1-1 (MA Atherton, ), 2-33 (GA Gooch, ), 3-93 (GA Hick, ), 4-145 (GP Thorpe, ), 5-165 (JP Crawley, ), 6-219 (AJ Stewart, ), 7-222 (SJ Rhodes, ), 8-292 (PAJ DeFreitas, ), 9-293 (JE Benjamin, ), 10-304 (DE Malcolm, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc DeFreitas b Malcolm11613007.69c & b Malcolm053000.00b Malcolm0117000.00c †Rhodes b Malcolm2894614045.90c Thorpe b Gough9422013412070.14c Thorpe b Malcolm2582634039.68lbw b Malcolm3770042.85c †Rhodes b Malcolm023000.00c †Rhodes b Malcolm1037201050.00not out052000.00b Malcolm022000.00Extras14 (lb 5, nb 9)TOTAL175 all out (50.3 Overs, RR: 3.46)Fall of wickets: 1-0 (G Kirsten, ), 2-1 (PN Kirsten, ), 3-1 (WJ Cronje, ), 4-73 (KC Wessels, ), 5-137 (BM McMillan, ), 6-143 (DJ Richardson, ), 7-143 (CR Matthews, ), 8-175 (DJ Cullinan, ), 9-175 (JN Rhodes, ), 10-175 (AA Donald, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRb Matthews33272070165.00c †Richardson b Donald6316111312055.75not out8115181130100.00not out15171430107.14Extras13 (lb 6, nb 7)TOTAL205/2 (35.3 Overs, RR: 5.77)Fall of wickets: 1-56 (GA Gooch, ), 2-180 (MA Atherton, )
- The Oval Cricket Ground, Kennington, London, SE 11 5SS (Phone: 020-3946-0100)
Player of the match
- Thu, 18 Aug - day 1 - South Africa 1st innings 326/8 (BM McMillan 91*, AA Donald 11*)
- Fri, 19 Aug - day 2 - England 1st innings 281/7 (PAJ DeFreitas 37*, D Gough 25*)
- Sat, 20 Aug - day 3 - England 2nd innings 107/1 (MA Atherton 42*, GA Hick 27*)
- Sun, 21 Aug - day 4 - England 2nd innings 205/2 (35.3 ov) - end of match
- Eng 1st innings
- Atherton fined 1250 pounds for dissent after being dismissed.
- RSA 2nd innings
- Malcolm: The 6th best Test innings analysis of all time.
- Weather Day 1: Sunny, breezy. Wicket: hard. Day 2: Rain delay in the morning. Breezy, overcast, sunny intervals.
- Attendance: 59,705 Receipts: 1,390,551 pounds
- JN Rhodes retired hurt at 106/4 jonathan, pv, Frank, Chris, John McDonald
A look back to when Devon Malcolm breathed fire and spewed brimstone at The Oval against South Africa
<b>Devon Malcolm</b> on the time he tore through the South African line-up after being hit by a bouncer