- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Chappell b Thomson1079530018.86c Chappell b Hogg424150026.66c Yardley b Thomson8924716515053.93c †Marsh b Hogg1842261069.23c Dyson b Yardley8316011513072.17c Wessels b Yardley27382350117.39c Border b Yardley1036150066.66c Wessels b Hogg959481018.75c †Marsh b Yardley12313007.69not out637210028.57c Lawson b Hogg312120025.00Extras24 (b 3, lb 6, nb 12, w 3)TOTAL284 all out (81.3 Overs, RR: 3.48)Fall of wickets: 1-11 (G Fowler, ), 2-25 (G Cook, ), 3-56 (DI Gower, ), 4-217 (CJ Tavare, ), 5-227 (AJ Lamb, ), 6-259 (IT Botham, ), 7-262 (G Miller, ), 8-268 (RW Taylor, ), 9-278 (DR Pringle, ), 10-284 (NG Cowans, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRb Willis47104644073.43lbw b Cowans2160403052.50c Lamb b Cowans021000.00b Willis662511729038.37b Botham215100020.00c †Taylor b Pringle53102697076.81b Willis53121986054.08b Miller919172052.94c Fowler b Miller082000.00not out816121066.66b Miller11090011.11Extras27 (lb 8, nb 19)TOTAL287 all out (79 Overs, RR: 3.63)Fall of wickets: 1-55 (J Dyson, ), 2-55 (GS Chappell, ), 3-83 (KC Wessels, ), 4-89 (AR Border, ), 5-180 (DW Hookes, ), 6-261 (KJ Hughes, ), 7-276 (RW Marsh, ), 8-276 (B Yardley, ), 9-278 (GF Lawson, ), 10-287 (JR Thomson, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Yardley b Thomson2657442059.09b Hogg65160998065.65b Hogg098000.00c †Marsh b Lawson31090033.33c †Marsh b Hogg2691465056.52c Chappell b Thomson46894680100.00lbw b Lawson1437292048.27c †Marsh b Lawson421701186035.59lbw b Thomson3785545068.51not out849320025.00b Lawson1012920111.11Extras17 (b 2, lb 9, nb 6)TOTAL294 all out (80.4 Overs, RR: 3.64)Fall of wickets: 1-40 (G Cook, ), 2-41 (CJ Tavare, ), 3-45 (DI Gower, ), 4-128 (G Fowler, ), 5-129 (AJ Lamb, ), 6-160 (G Miller, ), 7-201 (IT Botham, ), 8-262 (RW Taylor, ), 9-280 (DR Pringle, ), 10-294 (NG Cowans, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRb Cowans1447303046.66c Tavare b Botham31104775040.25c sub (IJ Gould) b Cowans2980025.00c †Taylor b Miller481581164041.37c Willis b Cowans68119879078.16not out622301657037.57lbw b Cowans1339281046.42b Cowans045000.00c Cowans b Pringle728160043.75lbw b Cowans41881050.00c Miller b Botham21129621033.87Extras18 (b 5, lb 9, nb 3, w 1)TOTAL288 all out (96.1 Overs, RR: 2.99)Fall of wickets: 1-37 (KC Wessels, ), 2-39 (GS Chappell, ), 3-71 (J Dyson, ), 4-171 (KJ Hughes, ), 5-173 (DW Hookes, ), 6-190 (RW Marsh, ), 7-190 (B Yardley, ), 8-202 (GF Lawson, ), 9-218 (RM Hogg, ), 10-288 (JR Thomson, )
Australia , elected to field first
Australia led the 5-match series 2-1
Player of the match
26,27,28,29,30 December 1982 (5-day match)
- Sun, 26 Dec - day 1 - England 1st innings 284
- Mon, 27 Dec - day 2 - Australia 1st innings 287
- Tue, 28 Dec - day 3 - England 2nd innings 294
- Wed, 29 Dec - day 4 - Australia 2nd innings 255/9 (AR Border 44*, JR Thomson 8*)
- Thu, 30 Dec - day 5 - Australia 2nd innings 288 (96.1 ov) - end of match
- MCG the first ground to host 75 Tests.
- During the final-wicket partnership (70 in 128 min.), Border and Thomson declined to run 29 comfortable singles.
- IT Botham completes the 1000 runs/100 wicket double against Australia (after claiming the final wicket) in only 22 Tests (a record in Eng.-Aust. series)
- RW Marsh becomes the first Australian to appear in 90 Tests. His total dismissals in this series reaches 27, which surpasses the record of JHB Waite (S.Afr.), set in 1961-62 against New Zealand (5 matches)
- For the first time in any Test in which all 40 wickets fell, all innings totals were within 10 runs of each other.