England , elected to field first
7-match series level 0-0 (1 abandoned)
31 December 1970, 1,2,4,5 January 1971 (5-day match)
- Thu, 31 Dec - day 1 - no play
- Fri, 1 Jan - day 2 - no play
- Sat, 2 Jan - day 3 - match abandoned
- Sun, 3 Jan - rest day
- Mon, 4 Jan - day 4 - cancelled
- Tue, 5 Jan - day 5 - cancelled
- Rain prevented play starting as the players were entering the field. A conference between the Australian Board, the MCC Manager, and two MCC Officials lead to the match being abandoned and replaced by a limited overs match which was later recognised as the first ever ODI.
- The MCC tour schedule was rearranged to include an additional Test at Melbourne on 21,22,23,25,26 January.
- Whilst the Australian Board of Control recognised this match as an official Test to be included in match statistics, nearly all statisticians around the world do not do so.