- BATSMENRM4s6sc †Waite b Fuller99263-0b Tayfield189578150c Goddard b Adcock15--0b Goddard0-00lbw b Tayfield63--0c McGlew b Tayfield33--0c & b Tayfield21--0c Funston b Tayfield3-00run out0-00not out11--0lbw b Fuller5--0Extras10 (b 1, lb 6, nb 3)TOTAL449 all out (152.2 Overs, RR: 2.21 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-190 (CC McDonald), 2-215 (RN Harvey), 3-220 (ID Craig), 4-350 (KD Mackay), 5-399 (JW Burke), 6-408 (R Benaud), 7-412 (RB Simpson), 8-412 (ATW Grout), 9-434 (AK Davidson), 10-449 (LF Kline)
- BATSMENR4s6sc Mackay b Davidson30-0lbw b Benaud29-0c Simpson b Davidson000c Simpson b Kline7-0c Harvey b Kline38-0c Davidson b Burke21-0c & b Benaud200b Benaud43-0c Harvey b Benaud5-0c Benaud b Kline21-0not out000Extras13 (b 6, lb 5, nb 1, w 1)TOTAL209 all out (86.5 Overs, RR: 1.8 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-61 (TL Goddard), 2-61 (DJ McGlew), 3-70 (RJ Westcott), 4-103 (JHB Waite), 5-118 (RA McLean), 6-121 (KJ Funston), 7-146 (WR Endean), 8-164 (ERH Fuller), 9-209 (CB van Ryneveld), 10-209 (HJ Tayfield)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc McDonald b Davidson0--00-not out56---0-c Davidson b Benaud18---0-c Benaud b Davidson8---0-c Burke b Benaud2--00-b Benaud5---0-b Benaud8---0-c Burke b Benaud1--00-c Benaud b Kline0--00-lbw b Kline011000.00c Simpson b Kline011000.00Extras1 (lb 1)TOTAL99 all out (f/o) (57.4 Overs, RR: 1.29 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-0 (DJ McGlew), 2-56 (RJ Westcott), 3-69 (JHB Waite), 4-74 (RA McLean), 5-80 (WR Endean), 6-88 (KJ Funston), 7-98 (CB van Ryneveld), 8-99 (ERH Fuller), 9-99 (HJ Tayfield), 10-99 (NAT Adcock)
- Tue, 31 Dec - day 1 - Australia 1st innings 234/3 (JW Burke 114*, KD Mackay 3*, )
- Wed, 01 Jan - day 2 - South Africa 1st innings 46/0 (DJ McGlew 25*, TL Goddard 20*, )
- Thu, 02 Jan - day 3 - South Africa 2nd innings 17/1 (TL Goddard 12*, RJ Westcott 5*, )
- Fri, 03 Jan - day 4 - South Africa 2nd innings 99 (57.4 ov) - end of match
- I Meckiff pulled a shoulder muscle and could not complete his sixth over
- JW Burke batted for 578 mins for his 189. It was his highest Test score
- LF Kline finished the South African 2nd innings with a Test Hat-trick (Fuller, Tayfield, Adcock). This was the thirteenth hat-trick in Test cricket (sixth for Australia).
- TL Goddard carried his bat through the South African 2nd innings. This was the fifteenth occasion in Test cricket (third for South Africa).
Lindsay Kline took the third, and to date last, hat-trick to be bowled in South Africa. He looks back at those three eventful balls