- BATSMENRM4s6sb Jones62510c †Kelly b McLeod109189150c Trott b Trumble72116100c & b Trott439071c Gregory b McLeod2035-0b Jones6210081c Gregory b McKibbin175223260b Jones1040-0c & b McLeod1750-0run out1500not out2431-0Extras12 (lb 11, w 1)TOTAL551 all out (175 Overs, RR: 3.14)Fall of wickets: 1-26 (JR Mason, ), 2-162 (TW Hayward, ), 3-224 (AC MacLaren, ), 4-256 (NF Druce, ), 5-258 (W Storer, ), 6-382 (GH Hirst, ), 7-422 (E Wainwright, ), 8-471 (JT Hearne, ), 9-477 (J Briggs, ), 10-551 (KS Ranjitsinhji, )
- BATSMENRM4s6sc Druce b Richardson716-0b Richardson33500c Druce b Hearne2557-0b Hearne1940-0c Mason b Hearne4691-0b Briggs1045-0b Richardson1300c †Storer b Mason70138130not out5010580b Hearne0500c Richardson b Hearne0200Extras6 (b 1, lb 1, nb 4)TOTAL237 all out (100.1 Overs, RR: 2.36)Fall of wickets: 1-8 (J Darling, ), 2-24 (JJ Lyons, ), 3-56 (FA Iredale, ), 4-57 (C Hill, ), 5-86 (GHS Trott, ), 6-87 (JJ Kelly, ), 7-138 (SE Gregory, ), 8-228 (H Trumble, ), 9-237 (TR McKibbin, ), 10-237 (E Jones, )
- BATSMENRM4s6sc Druce b Briggs101194190b Briggs1855-0run out2695-0b Hearne96143110run out3158-0c Druce b Hearne2200c Hayward b Hearne2530-0b Richardson2760-0not out4663-0lbw b Richardson3500b Hearne610-0Extras27 (b 12, lb 1, nb 10, w 4)TOTAL408 all out (f/o) (121 Overs, RR: 3.37)Fall of wickets: 1-37 (FA Iredale, ), 2-135 (CE McLeod, ), 3-191 (J Darling, ), 4-269 (SE Gregory, ), 5-271 (H Trumble, ), 6-318 (JJ Lyons, ), 7-321 (C Hill, ), 8-382 (GHS Trott, ), 9-390 (E Jones, ), 10-408 (TR McKibbin, )
- BATSMENRM6snot out50680b McKibbin32600not out870Extras6 (b 5, nb 1)TOTAL96/1 (28 Overs, RR: 3.42)Fall of wickets: 1-80 (JR Mason, )
England , elected to bat first
England led the 5-match series 1-0
13,14,15,16,17 December 1897 (timeless match)
- Mon, 13 Dec - day 1 - England 1st innings 337/5 (GH Hirst 37*, KS Ranjitsinhji 39*)
- Tue, 14 Dec - day 2 - Australia 1st innings 86/5 (SE Gregory 18*)
- Wed, 15 Dec - day 3 - Australia 2nd innings 126/1 (J Darling 80*, CE McLeod 20*)
- Thu, 16 Dec - day 4 - England 2nd innings 30/0 (AC MacLaren 16*, JR Mason 13*)
- Fri, 17 Dec - day 5 - England 2nd innings 96/1 (28 ov) - end of match
- Ranjitsinhji, although ill, emulated H Graham by scoring a hundred in his first Test in Australia having done so in England.
- MacLaren, deputising for AE Stoddart whose mother had died, scored a hundred in his first Test as captain.
- Darling had the distinction of being the first left-hander to score a hundred in a Test match.
- McLeod was run out by Storer when he left his crease after being bowled by a no-ball. His deafness prevented him from hearing the umpire's call.
- Kelly became the first wicket-keeper to prevent any byes in a total of over 500.