- BATSMENR4s6sb Ferris5-0b Pougher24-0c & b Pougher000b Ferris4-0c JT Hearne b Ferris8-0c †Wood b Pougher000b JT Hearne18-0c Martin b Ferris21-0lbw b Ferris6-0b Ferris6-0not out000Extras5 (b 5)TOTAL97 all out (58.2 Overs, RR: 1.99 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-7 (TW Routledge, ), 2-14 (CG Fichardt, ), 3-29 (CH Mills, ), 4-33 (F Hearne, ), 5-39 (CS Wimble, ), 6-47 (EA Halliwell, ), 7-78 (WH Milton, ), 8-89 (CH Vintcent, ), 9-93 (G Cripps, ), 10-97 (DC Parkin, )
- BATSMENR4s6sc du Toit b Mills48-0lbw b Parkin9-0c & b Parkin12-0c Milton b Parkin000c Vintcent b Mills23-1b du Toit40-0b Hearne17-0not out134-0run out16-0c Fichardt b Milton40-2c Mills b Hearne13-0Extras17 (b 13, nb 4)TOTAL369 all out (119.2 Overs, RR: 3.70 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-19 (A Hearne, ), 2-33 (WL Murdoch, ), 3-33 (GG Hearne, ), 4-86 (VA Barton, ), 5-110 (W Chatterton, ), 6-144 (AD Pougher, ), 7-215 (WW Read, ), 8-280 (JJ Ferris, ), 9-351 (JT Hearne, ), 10-369 (F Martin, )
- BATSMENR4s6sc Pougher b Ferris100b Ferris23-0run out10-0b Ferris21-0b Ferris000b Ferris000b Ferris300c A Hearne b Ferris16-0c & b Martin000st †Murdoch b Martin000not out200Extras7 (b 7)TOTAL83 all out (49.3 Overs, RR: 2.00 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-1 (TW Routledge, ), 2-30 (CG Fichardt, ), 3-40 (F Hearne, ), 4-45 (EA Halliwell, ), 5-45 (CH Vintcent, ), 6-59 (G Cripps, ), 7-70 (CH Mills, ), 8-79 (DC Parkin, ), 9-81 (WH Milton, ), 10-83 (CS Wimble, )
South Africa , elected to bat first
England won the one-off match
19,21,22 March 1892 (3-day match)
Balls per over
- Sat, 19 Mar - day 1 - England 1st innings 110/5 (WW Read 15*)
- Sun, 20 Mar - rest day
- Mon, 21 Mar - day 2 - South Africa 2nd innings 48/5 (CH Mills 8*, G Cripps 0*)
- Tue, 22 Mar - day 3 - South Africa 2nd innings 83 (49.3 ov) - end of match
- For the first time England contested two Test series simultaneously, two days after WW Read's team played the Test Lord Sheffield side began their third match against Australia.
- The Hearnes provided the second instance of three brothers playing in the same match, Alec and George Gibbons for England, and Frank for South Africa, John Thomas was their cousin.
- JJ Ferris and WL Murdoch were making their debuts for England after appearing for Australia, Murdoch, the former Australia captain, kept wicket for England in the second innings.
- F Hearne was making his debut for South Africa after playing twice for England.
- Wood scored the first century by a wicket-keeper in Test matches; it was his only hundred in first-class cricket.