- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRb Briggs0--00-b Smith29--30-b Briggs011000.00c Abel b Briggs3--00-c Abel b Briggs4--00-c Abel b Fothergill1--00-not out26--30-lbw b Smith4--00-b Smith7--10-b Smith0--00-c Hearne b Smith0--00-Extras10 (b 8, w 2)TOTAL84 all out (75.2 Overs, RR: 1.66)Fall of wickets: 1-0 (A Rose-Innes, ), 2-0 (P Hutchinson, ), 3-10 (CH Vintcent, ), 4-16 (AE Ochse, ), 5-17 (WH Milton, ), 6-58 (AB Tancred, ), 7-66 (RB Stewart, ), 8-78 (FW Smith, ), 9-82 (CE Finlason, ), 10-84 (GA Kempis, )
- BATSMENR4s6sc Milton b Rose-Innes4650b Kempis400c Dunell b Kempis100c Stewart b Rose-Innes2720c Hutchinson b Rose-Innes300run out000c †Smith b Rose-Innes000c Stewart b Kempis300not out1420c †Smith b Rose-Innes1220c Tancred b Milton3231Extras6 (b 5, w 1)TOTAL148 all out (66.2 Overs, RR: 3.33)Fall of wickets: 1-10 (G Ulyett, ), 2-14 (JM Read, ), 3-65 (F Hearne, ), 4-75 (H Wood, ), 5-75 (MP Bowden, ), 6-77 (J Briggs, ), 7-85 (CA Smith, ), 8-87 (R Abel, ), 9-103 (Hon.CJ Coventry, ), 10-148 (AJ Fothergill, )
- BATSMENR4s6sb Smith1310c & b Briggs2910lbw b Fothergill810c & b Ulyett410b Smith1110c & b Ulyett1100c †Bowden b Briggs1920c Ulyett b Fothergill900b Fothergill1200b Fothergill610not out000Extras7 (b 7)TOTAL129 all out (90.1 Overs, RR: 2.14)Fall of wickets: 1-21 (A Rose-Innes, ), 2-42 (AE Ochse, ), 3-51 (CH Vintcent, ), 4-67 (AB Tancred, ), 5-67 (P Hutchinson, ), 6-88 (WH Milton, ), 7-110 (OR Dunell, ), 8-116 (RB Stewart, ), 9-126 (CE Finlason, ), 10-129 (FW Smith, )
- BATSMENR4s6snot out2320b Vintcent2231b Kempis300not out1220Extras7 (b 7)TOTAL67/2 (21.1 Overs, RR: 4.72)Fall of wickets: 1-32 (G Ulyett, ), 2-35 (JM Read, )
- St George's Park, Port Elizabeth
South Africa , elected to bat first
England led the 2-match series 1-0
12,13 March 1889 (3-day match)
Balls per over
- Tue, 12 Mar - day 1 - England 1st innings 148
- Wed, 13 Mar - day 2 - England 2nd innings 67/2 (21.1 ov) - end of match
- South Africa's introduction to Test cricket ended in a comprehensive defeat by Major Warton's touring team.
- The match, played on matting, finished just before 3.30pm on the second day.
- Webster stood for umpire Dearne on the second day.