- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRb Ashley12022624111049.79b Ashley2236373059.45b Vintcent617170035.29c Hutchinson b Ashley1218222054.54b Vintcent2017242083.33c Rose-Innes b Vintcent59818911066.29c Hutchinson b Ashley25171650156.25c Tancred b Ashley1435362038.88c Rose-Innes b Ashley011000.00not out1750020.00b Ashley1350020.00Extras12 (b 12)TOTAL292 all out (123.1 Overs, RR: 3.55 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-54 (G Ulyett, ), 2-62 (J Briggs, ), 3-79 (JM Read, ), 4-110 (F Hearne, ), 5-215 (H Wood, ), 6-257 (MP Bowden, ), 7-287 (R Abel, ), 8-287 (JEP McMaster, ), 9-288 (BAF Grieve, ), 10-292 (AJ Fothergill, 123.1 ov)
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRlbw b Fothergill11723004.34not out2691914028.57run out1320050.00b Briggs312160018.75b Briggs031000.00b Briggs714201035.00c Abel b Fothergill01014000.00b Briggs49111036.36b Briggs021000.00lbw b Briggs012000.00b Briggs1680012.50Extras4 (b 2, nb 2)TOTAL47 all out (47.1 Overs, RR: 1.49 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-2 (A Rose-Innes, ), 2-3 (AE Ochse, ), 3-11 (P Hutchinson, ), 4-19 (OR Dunell, ), 5-31 (WH Milton, ), 6-32 (WHM Richards, ), 7-41 (CH Vintcent, ), 8-41 (FW Smith, ), 9-41 (NHCD Theunissen, ), 10-47 (WH Ashley, 47.1 ov)
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRb Briggs324210014.28run out01000-b Briggs3450060.00b Briggs068000.00b Fothergill516131038.46b Briggs4360066.66b Briggs45400100.00b Briggs924270033.33b Briggs1128280039.28not out2730066.66b Briggs011000.00Extras2 (b 2)TOTAL43 all out (f/o) (28.2 Overs, RR: 2.26 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-1 (A Rose-Innes, ), 2-4 (AE Ochse, ), 3-6 (P Hutchinson, ), 4-12 (AB Tancred, ), 5-16 (OR Dunell, ), 6-20 (WH Milton, ), 7-20 (WHM Richards, ), 8-37 (CH Vintcent, ), 9-43 (FW Smith, ), 10-43 (WH Ashley, 28.2 ov)
England , elected to bat first
England won the 2-match series 2-0
25,26 March 1889 (3-day match)
Balls per over
- Mon, 25 Mar - day 1 - South Africa 1st innings 2/1 (AB Tancred 1*)
- Tue, 26 Mar - day 2 - South Africa 2nd innings 43 (28.2 ov) - end of match
- Abel scored the first hundred in first-class cricket in South Africa and Tancred became the first batsman to carry his bat through a completed Test innings.
- Briggs set a new Test record by taking 8 for 11 (all bowled) in the second innings and 15 for 28 in the match.
- Ashley took 7 for 95 in his only Test
- Bowden, aged 23 years 144 days became England's youngest captain three years before dying in Umtali Hospital- a glorified mud hut where his body had to be protected from marauding lions prior to being interred in a coffin made from whiskey cases.