- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Read b Peate4-81050.00c Ulyett b Peate103-16814061.30c Peate b Barnes21149052524040.19c †Lyttelton b Barnes10221021615047.22c Steel b Ulyett32-942034.04c Read b Grace8-290027.58c †Grace b Lyttelton30-944031.91lbw b Lyttelton31-653047.69not out8-310025.80b Lyttelton4-91044.44c Harris b Lyttelton1-50020.00Extras17 (b 7, lb 10)TOTAL551 all out (311 Overs, RR: 2.65)Fall of wickets: 1-15 (AC Bannerman, ), 2-158 (PS McDonnell, ), 3-365 (HJH Scott, ), 4-432 (G Giffen, ), 5-454 (GJ Bonnor, ), 6-494 (WL Murdoch, ), 7-532 (WE Midwinter, ), 8-545 (JM Blackham, ), 9-549 (FR Spofforth, ), 10-551 (HF Boyle, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRrun out19-323059.37c Scott b Giffen903403759024.00c Midwinter b Spofforth19-312061.29c †Blackham b Midwinter10-332030.30lbw b Palmer31-733042.46c Bannerman b Palmer10-310032.25c Murdoch b Palmer0-1000.00lbw b Palmer14-351040.00b Spofforth8-270029.62b Boyle11712015520075.48not out4-210200.00Extras24 (b 8, lb 7, nb 3, w 6)TOTAL346 all out (198 Overs, RR: 2.62)Fall of wickets: 1-32 (WG Grace, ), 2-60 (W Barnes, ), 3-75 (A Shrewsburysnr, ), 4-120 (AG Steel, ), 5-136 (G Ulyett, ), 6-136 (RG Barlow, ), 7-160 (Lord Harris, ), 8-181 (Hon.A Lyttelton, ), 9-332 (WH Scotton, ), 10-346 (WW Read, )
- BATSMENRB4s6sSRnot out21462045.65b Boyle171310130.76c Scott b Giffen373380112.12not out6120050.00Extras4 (b 3, lb 1)TOTAL85/2 (f/o) (26 Overs, RR: 4.90)Fall of wickets: 1-22 (Hon.A Lyttelton, ), 2-73 (A Shrewsburysnr, )
- The Oval Cricket Ground, Kennington, London, SE 11 5SS (Phone: 020-3946-0100)
Australia , elected to bat first
England won the 3-match series 1-0
11,12,13 August 1884 (3-day match)
Balls per over
- Mon, 11 Aug - day 1 - Australia 1st innings 363/2 (WL Murdoch 145*, HJH Scott 101*)
- Tue, 12 Aug - day 2 - England 1st innings 71/2 (WH Scotton 21*, A Shrewsbury snr 6*)
- Wed, 13 Aug - day 3 - England 2nd innings 85/2 (26 ov) - end of match
- WL Murdoch scored the first double-century in Test cricket. His stand with Scott of 207 was a Test record for any wicket.
- WW Read reached his hundred in 113 minutes with 36 scoring strokes.
- For the first time in Test cricket all eleven players bowled during Australia's innings, Grace keeping wicket while Lyttelton took four wickets with lobs.
- Declarations were not permitted until 1889.