- BATSMENRM4s6sretired hurt165285180b Hill1-00c Hill b Shaw12--0run out1-00b Southerton15--0c Ulyett b Southerton5--0c Greenwood b Lillywhite0-00b Southerton17--0not out18--0c Southerton b Shaw3-00b Shaw0-00Extras8 (b 4, lb 2, w 2)TOTAL245 all out (169.3 Overs)Fall of wickets: 1-2 (NFD Thomson, ), 2-40 (TP Horan, ), 3-41 (DW Gregory, ), 4-118 (BB Cooper, ), 5-142 (WE Midwinter, ), 6-143 (EJ Gregory, ), 7-197 (JM Blackham, ), 7-240 (C Bannerman, ), 8-243 (TK Kendall, ), 9-245 (JR Hodges, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRlbw b Garrett631912412026.14c Cooper b Hodges718181038.88c †Blackham b Midwinter3659622058.06lbw b Thomson1014212047.61c EJ Gregory b Midwinter12226003.84c †Blackham b Midwinter924311029.03b Midwinter1022280035.71b Midwinter825320025.00not out3541473074.46c & b Kendall1014151066.66c Cooper b Garrett621210028.57Extras1 (lb 1)TOTAL196 all out (136.1 Overs)Fall of wickets: 1-23 (J Selby, ), 2-79 (HRJ Charlwood, ), 3-98 (G Ulyett, ), 4-109 (A Greenwood, ), 5-121 (T Armitage, ), 6-135 (A Shaw, ), 7-145 (H Jupp, ), 8-145 (T Emmett, ), 9-168 (James Lillywhitejnr, ), 10-196 (J Southerton, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRb Ulyett48101040.00c Emmett b Shaw726260026.92c †Selby b Hill2028322062.50c Emmett b Shaw078000.00b Shaw314160018.75c Southerton b Ulyett1768731023.28c Emmett b Ulyett1126311035.48lbw b Shaw616200030.00b Shaw314150020.00not out1722223077.27b Lillywhite818181044.44Extras8 (b 5, lb 3)TOTAL104 all out (68 Overs)Fall of wickets: 1-7 (C Bannerman, ), 2-27 (NFD Thomson, ), 3-31 (TW Garrett, ), 4-31 (TP Horan, ), 5-35 (BB Cooper, ), 6-58 (EJ Gregory, ), 7-71 (JM Blackham, ), 8-75 (WE Midwinter, ), 9-75 (DW Gregory, ), 10-104 (JR Hodges, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Thomson b Kendall012000.00c Midwinter b Kendall55500100.00lbw b Midwinter418170023.52b Kendall1316171076.47c Horan b Hodges3881814046.91b Kendall2447621038.70st †Blackham b Kendall2590022.22c †Blackham b Kendall33132009.37b Kendall928270033.33b Hodges4460066.66not out11270014.28Extras5 (b 4, lb 1)TOTAL108 all out (66.1 Overs)Fall of wickets: 1-0 (A Hill, ), 2-7 (A Greenwood, ), 3-20 (H Jupp, ), 4-22 (HRJ Charlwood, ), 5-62 (G Ulyett, ), 6-68 (A Shaw, ), 7-92 (J Selby, ), 8-93 (T Armitage, ), 9-100 (James Lillywhitejnr, ), 10-108 (T Emmett, )
- Yarra Park, Jolimont, VIC, 3002 (Phone: +61 3 9657 8867)
Australia , elected to bat first
Australia led the 2-match series 1-0
- Thu, 15 Mar - day 1 - Australia 1st innings 166/6 (C Bannerman 126*, JM Blackham 3*)
- Fri, 16 Mar - day 2 - England 1st innings 109/4 (H Jupp 54*)
- Sat, 17 Mar - day 3 - Australia 2nd innings 83/9 (TK Kendall 5*, JR Hodges 3*)
- Sun, 18 Mar - rest day
- Mon, 19 Mar - day 4 - England 2nd innings 108 (66.1 ov) - end of match
- Alfred Shaw bowled the first Test delivery to Charles Bannerman, who went on to become the first Test centurion. Hill had both the first Test wicket and the first catch. Midwinter picked up the first 5 wicket haul, and Blackham had the first stumping.
- W.Newing fielded for Bannerman.
- Southerton is still the oldest Test debutant at 49 years 119 days.
- Bannerman scored 69.6% of his side's runs from the bat - still a record in Test matches - his 165 took about 290 minutes and included 18 fours.
- C Bannerman retired hurt at 240/7 (split the index finger on his right hand by a ball from Ulyett)
- Attendances on the four 4 days were approximately 4500, 4000 10000, 2000