- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Blewett b McGrath526271019.23c Taylor b McGrath12437004.16b McGrath11319007.69lbw b McGrath19731082026.02c Blewett b Reiffel2149604042.85c †Healy b McGrath11722005.88c Elliott b Reiffel730511023.33c †Healy b McGrath213180015.38c †Healy b McGrath10101220100.00lbw b McGrath1580020.00not out00300-Extras9 (b 4, nb 5)TOTAL77 all out (42.3 Overs, RR: 1.81)Fall of wickets: 1-11 (MA Butcher), 2-12 (MA Atherton), 3-13 (AJ Stewart), 4-47 (GP Thorpe), 5-56 (JP Crawley), 6-62 (N Hussain), 7-66 (RDB Croft), 8-76 (D Gough), 9-77 (MA Ealham), 10-77 (AR Caddick)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRb Gough11516006.66c Crawley b Caddick11218024020062.22c Hussain b Croft4570837064.28c Malcolm b Caddick3360821055.00c Hussain b Gough045000.00lbw b Caddick013000.00c †Stewart b Caddick4781057.14not out1323442056.52not out1660016.66Extras4 (b 1, lb 3)TOTAL213/7d (61 Overs, RR: 3.49)Fall of wickets: 1-4 (MA Taylor), 2-73 (GS Blewett), 3-147 (ME Waugh), 4-147 (SK Warne), 5-147 (SR Waugh), 6-159 (MG Bevan), 7-212 (MTG Elliott)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRb Warne8721026614041.42hit wicket b Kasprowicz7715922010048.42c Kasprowicz b McGrath1324292054.16c & b Warne055000.00not out3039614076.92not out2945514064.44Extras30 (b 8, lb 14, nb 7, w 1)TOTAL266/4d (79 Overs, RR: 3.36)Fall of wickets: 1-162 (MA Atherton), 2-189 (AJ Stewart), 3-197 (N Hussain), 4-202 (MA Butcher)
Australia , elected to field first
Player Of The Match
England led the 6-match series 1-0
19,20,21,22,23 June 1997 (5-day match)
- Thu, 19 Jun - day 1 - no play
- Fri, 20 Jun - day 2 - England 1st innings 38/3 (N Hussain 10*, GP Thorpe 13*, )
- Sat, 21 Jun - day 3 - Australia 1st innings 131/2 (MTG Elliott 55*, ME Waugh 26*, )
- Sun, 22 Jun - day 4 - Australia 1st innings 213/7 (IA Healy 13*, PR Reiffel 1*, )
- Mon, 23 Jun - day 5 - England 2nd innings 266/4d (79 ov) - end of match
- Rain stopped play after 21 overs. England 38/3 (Hussain 10*, Thorpe 13*).
- England's total of 77 is their lowest at Lord's since 1888, their lowest against Australia since 1948, and their lowest in any Test innings since 1993-94.
- GD McGrath 8-38:
- * His personal best bowling in Test and first-class cricket;
- * The 23rd best individual bowling by any player in Test cricket;
- * The 3rd best innings performance by an Australian in a Test. (Best since Arthur Mailey took 9-121 v England at Melbourne, 1920-21);
- * The best individual bowling by an Australian in an innings at Lord's (previously 8-53 by Bob Massie, 1972);
- * The best individual bowling for either side in an Ashes Test at Lord's (previously Hedley Verity, 1934);
- * The second-best bowling in an innings of a Lord's Test (best 8-34 by Ian Botham v Pakistan, 1978).
- Australia 1st Innings: Crawley kept wicket while Stewart was off the field at the start of the innings (back spasms).
- No Play was possible due to rain.