- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Jayasuriya b Vaas813121066.66lbw b Dharmasena3073432069.76c de Silva b Zoysa28502330121.73c Mahanama b Zoysa021000.00not out11310710055113.00c Atapattu b Chandana2043301066.66c Atapattu b Muralitharan051000.00c Atapattu b Chandana1110920122.22not out18221710105.88Extras12 (b 1, lb 6, nb 2, w 3)TOTAL240/7 (39 Overs, RR: 6.15)Fall of wickets: 1-12 (MJR Rindel, 2.4 ov), 2-55 (N Boje, 9.2 ov), 3-57 (MV Boucher, 9.5 ov), 4-87 (DJ Cullinan, 16.2 ov), 5-168 (WJ Cronje, 29.5 ov), 6-181 (JN Rhodes, 30.6 ov), 7-196 (PL Symcox, 33.1 ov)
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRb Elworthy22281740129.41c Cronje b Elworthy914132069.23c Rhodes b Cronje18361611112.50c Boje b Elworthy5990055.55c Cullinan b Symcox1954232082.60c †Boucher b Cronje41180050.00c Crookes b Symcox1019121083.33lbw b Symcox2024232186.95c Cullinan b Crookes619150040.00not out21280025.00absent hurt-Extras17 (lb 4, nb 3, w 10)TOTAL132 all out (23.4 Overs, RR: 5.57)Fall of wickets: 1-19 (RS Kaluwitharana, 3.2 ov), 2-40 (ST Jayasuriya, 5.2 ov), 3-48 (PA de Silva, 7.3 ov), 4-74 (WPUJC Vaas, 9.3 ov), 5-80 (A Ranatunga, 11.3 ov), 6-96 (RS Mahanama, 14.5 ov), 7-113 (MS Atapattu, 18.2 ov), 8-125 (UDU Chandana, 20.5 ov), 9-132 (HDPK Dharmasena, 23.4 ov)
Sri Lanka , elected to field first
South Africa advanced
Player of the match
30 October 1998 - day/night match (50-over match)
- Start of match delayed by a damp ground until 5:10pm. Match will be 40 overs per side, maximum 8 overs per bowler, 12 overs of fielding restrictions. Dinner break reduced to 10 minutes and will be taken at 8:00pm, Scheduled finishing time extended to 11:00pm.
- Match delayed slightly further by rain. Start was at 5:21pm. Match is 39 overs per side, 11 over fielding restrictions, 4x8 overs, 1x7 for bowlers. Dinner at 8:04pm.
- Rain returned during the break in innings and the match did not resume until 9:36pm. The Match Committee announced that play could continue until 12 midnight. The Sri Lankan innings was reduced to 34 overs with 10 overs fielding restrictions, 4x7 overs and 1x6 for bowlers. Duckworth/Lewis method produced a target of 224 runs to win.
- Sri Lanka innings: 1x5 ball over (10th over of the innings)