- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Gurusinha b Pushpakumara741361019.44run out13719813785100.00c †Kaluwitharana b Dharmasena3256462169.56not out72101804090.00not out12100100.00Extras22 (b 4, lb 7, w 11)TOTAL271/3 (50 Overs, RR: 5.42)Fall of wickets: 1-27 (M Prabhakar, ), 2-93 (SV Manjrekar, ), 3-268 (SR Tendulkar, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Prabhakar b Kumble79937692103.94c Kumble b Prasad26221660162.50run out2561272192.59st †Mongia b Kumble814141057.14not out46118632073.01not out70110986071.42Extras18 (b 4, lb 9, nb 2, w 3)TOTAL272/4 (48.4 Overs, RR: 5.58)Fall of wickets: 1-53 (RS Kaluwitharana, ), 2-129 (AP Gurusinha, ), 3-137 (ST Jayasuriya, ), 4-141 (PA de Silva, )
- Delhi District Cricket Association (DDCA), Feroz Shah Kotla ground, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi - 110002 (Phone: 011 2331 9323)
Sri Lanka , elected to field first
Player of the match
2 March 1996 (50-over match)
Sri Lanka 2, India 0
- SR Tendulkar and M Azharuddin 175 for the 3rd wicket, equal 4th highest partnership for any wicket for India in ODIs, highest partnership for any wicket for India in the World Cup, 7th highest partnership for any country for any wicket in the World Cup, record partnership for any wicket at the Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi.
- SR Tendulkar 137, personal high score, 2nd highest ever for India in ODIs (highest: 175* by N Kapil Dev v ZIM 18/06/1983), 4th highest score by any player in India, highest ever in Delhi, 6 centuries in his last 28 ODIs, 6 centuries an Indian record (previous: NS Sidhu 5), equal 13th on the all-time list.
- M Prabhakar bowled off-spin for his 2nd spell of 2 overs.