- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRrun out2541783060.97c †Kaluwitharana b Vaas2227322081.48c Ranatunga b Muralitharan821270038.09b Dharmasena1431391045.16lbw b Jayasuriya67648952104.68b Muralitharan1738500044.73b Dharmasena917180052.94b Jayasuriya35343720102.94not out26263450100.00not out011000.00Extras12 (lb 8, w 4)TOTAL235/8 (50 Overs, RR: 4.7)Fall of wickets: 1-31 (MA Atherton), 2-58 (GA Hick), 3-66 (RA Smith), 4-94 (GP Thorpe), 5-145 (AJ Stewart), 6-171 (RC Russell), 7-173 (PAJ DeFreitas), 8-235 (DA Reeve)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRst †Russell b Reeve824467133186.36b Illingworth83720266.66run out45631245071.42c Smith b Hick31303850103.33lbw b Gough25171450147.05not out1950651038.00not out2238552057.89Extras4 (lb 1, nb 1, w 2)TOTAL236/5 (40.4 Overs, RR: 5.8)Fall of wickets: 1-12 (RS Kaluwitharana), 2-113 (ST Jayasuriya), 3-165 (PA de Silva), 4-194 (A Ranatunga), 5-198 (AP Gurusinha)
- 12th ODI between the 2 teams since their first match in 1982.
- Jayasuriya bowled by a no-ball from Reeve on 82.
- ST Jayasuriya and AP Gurusinha 101 for the 2nd wicket, record Sri Lankan 2nd wicket partnership in World Cups.
- DA Reeve and D Gough 62 for the 8th wicket, record 8th wicket partnership for England in ODIs.
- 1st time in World Cup history that Sri Lanka qualified for the semi-finals.
- 1st time in World Cup history that England have not qualified for the semi-finals.
How much do you know about the sixth World Cup?
Behind the scenes at a global tournament mostly involves endless meetings, faxes, waiting around, and dealing with fans' and the media's outrage
A Brian Lara special helped West Indies see off South Africa in the quarter-final of the 1996 World Cup
Ravindra Pushpakumara, the 12th man in the 1996 final, was asked to pass on tons of advice to the batsmen in the middle. But he didn't
West Indies had the 1996 semi-final against Australia in the bag. Then they found a way to throw it away