- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRrun out2578413060.97c †Kaluwitharana b Vaas2232272081.48c Ranatunga b Muralitharan827210038.09b Dharmasena1439311045.16lbw b Jayasuriya67896452104.68b Muralitharan1750380044.73b Dharmasena918170052.94b Jayasuriya35373420102.94not out26342650100.00not out011000.00Extras12 (lb 8, w 4)TOTAL235/8 (50 Overs, RR: 4.70)Fall of wickets: 1-31 (MA Atherton, ), 2-58 (GA Hick, ), 3-66 (RA Smith, ), 4-94 (GP Thorpe, ), 5-145 (AJ Stewart, ), 6-171 (RC Russell, ), 7-173 (PAJ DeFreitas, ), 8-235 (DA Reeve, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRst †Russell b Reeve826744133186.36b Illingworth87320266.66run out45124635071.42c Smith b Hick31383050103.33lbw b Gough25141750147.05not out1965501038.00not out2255382057.89Extras4 (lb 1, nb 1, w 2)TOTAL236/5 (40.4 Overs, RR: 5.80)Fall of wickets: 1-12 (RS Kaluwitharana, ), 2-113 (ST Jayasuriya, ), 3-165 (PA de Silva, ), 4-194 (A Ranatunga, ), 5-198 (AP Gurusinha, )
- Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad
England , elected to bat first
Sri Lanka advanced
Player of the match
9 March 1996 (50-over match)
- Jayasuriya bowled by a no-ball from Reeve on 82.
- ST Jayasuriya and AP Gurusinha 101 for the 2nd wicket, record Sri Lankan 2nd wicket partnership in World Cups.
- 1st time in World Cup history that Sri Lanka qualified for the semi-finals.
- 1st time in World Cup history that England have not qualified for the semi-finals.