- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Prasad b Srinath1430033.33c Manjrekar b Srinath011000.00c Kumble b Srinath12916006.25b Kumble666347140140.42retired hurt581261016057.42lbw b Tendulkar3572424083.33c Tendulkar b Prasad3251431074.41b Tendulkar921200045.00run out (Azharuddin)23191630143.75not out41090044.44not out54400125.00Extras17 (b 1, lb 10, nb 2, w 4)TOTAL251/8 (50 Overs, RR: 5.02)Fall of wickets: 1-1 (RS Kaluwitharana, ), 2-1 (ST Jayasuriya, ), 3-35 (AP Gurusinha, ), 4-85 (PA de Silva, ), 5-168 (A Ranatunga, ), 5-182 (RS Mahanama, 37.2 ov), 6-206 (HDPK Dharmasena, ), 7-236 (HP Tillakaratne, ), 8-244 (WPUJC Vaas, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRst †Kaluwitharana b Jayasuriya6596889073.86c Jayasuriya b Vaas3780037.50b Jayasuriya25105481052.08c & b Dharmasena036000.00not out1049290034.48run out68610100.00b Jayasuriya0911000.00c Jayasuriya b de Silva11080012.50c de Silva b Muralitharan011000.00not out01000-Extras10 (lb 5, w 5)TOTAL120/8 (34.1 Overs, RR: 3.51)Fall of wickets: 1-8 (NS Sidhu, ), 2-98 (SR Tendulkar, ), 3-99 (M Azharuddin, ), 4-101 (SV Manjrekar, ), 5-110 (J Srinath, ), 6-115 (A Jadeja, ), 7-120 (NR Mongia, ), 8-120 (AR Kapoor, )
Player of the match
- Sri Lanka's 1st ever World Cup semi final.
- RS Mahanama retired hurt at 182/5 (37.2 overs) (leg injury)
- At the fall of the 8th Indian wicket, sections of the crowd vented their disgust with the state of the match by setting fire to some areas of the stands and throwing fruit and waterbottles onto the field. The match was briefly stopped and when play was about to resume, the crowd again threw bottles at the deep fielders. The match referee stopped the game and the game was awarded to Sri Lanka by default.
- Sri Lanka qualify for their 1st ever World Cup final.
Aravinda de Silva's masterclass in batting stunned India in the 1996 semi-final, before an Eden Gardens meltdown